_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 24 September 2010

Something Similar

It was tight - especially with 45 minutes spent crawling through morning traffic in first gear - BUT - I just made an earlier ferry which gave me two hours to spend downtown. YES YES. This is my third trip to Nanaimo in a year. I have some favourite places. One shop, A To Zebra, moved but only around the corner so I found them except they didn't have anything all that interesting in stock right now - unlucky for my eyes; lucky for my wallet.




The Bocca Cafe in Old Town is a gluten free, vegan restaurant WITH FLAVOUR. It's always nice when those two things go hand in hand. I had turkey cranberry lentil soup with gluten free bread for lunch and a piece of gluten free, vegan, chocolate cake to go. It's a HUGE piece. I had half of it last night for a bedtime snack - not that I usually have a bedtime snack but... I'm on holidays - LOL - and it's chocolate cake!




Diagonally across the street is Betsy's Boutique - a consignment store. Someone with feet two size larger than mine has the most exquisite taste in shoes. I kept picking up pairs, checking the size, and putting them down disappointed. I could have bought so many had they fit. I did leave with a V neck cashmere sweater with a fur (fake) collar. It is quite lovely and so was the price - $15.00. It might look nice with the skirt I'm working on this weekend.




Remember this Mod Cloth knock off that I made last January using my T & T pattern? Yesterday, I walked into Cynthia's Wardrobe and there was something similar - a Joseph Ribkoff top with cap sleeves and the same pleats and buttons for $137.00. Not being Joseph Ribkoff, mine was only ten bucks (or less) to sew.




There was also a blouse from a company in Vancouver. I'd never heard of them before so I don't know anything about them but I do know that it looked EXACTLY like this pattern of Sandra Betzina's. Exactly. For $187.00, I'm sure glad I sew - LOL - only I sew to be unique so exactly doesn't appeal to me.




Dinner with Lorrie and her husband was wonderful. I had a great time. It was comfortable, easy, yummy. Really yummy. I sure wish she lived close enough to give me cooking lessons. My repertoire would make leaps and bounds I'm sure. I did come home with some ideas. It's really quite amazing to watch someone in the kitchen who knows what they're doing and actually likes cooking. There's a flow and an energy and it looks so easy. I imagine with more practice, I'll look a little less helpless - VBG.

Sometimes, I just wonder at the oddities of life, why things happen the way they do. I've been actively looking to make new friends for the past four years. At home, I can't seem to make any progress even though I've gone to hip hop and belly dancing lessons, tried several choirs, taken parks & rec courses, attended ladies meetings, and joined three knitting groups. Nothing. When I do find someone that I click with, they always seem to live somewhere else. Lorrie and I think a lot alike and share similar interests. We're certainly within typing distance but a walk, a coffee, a lunch would be lovely to share regularly. Something closer than five hours, a ferry, and another forty-five minute drive.

Lorrie mentioned a book she read by Barbara Sher that talked about scanners and divers. Apparently, I'm a diver - someone who looks at one subject deeply. Too funny. Too true. I hadn't heard this concept before. I'm wondering if it's in Barbara's book I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How To Discover What You Really Want And How To Get It. It's strange at forty-eight to be figuring that out - again. The title sounds like one I should read.

The B & B is as lovely as it looked on-line. The hosts are very nice although it's run more like a hotel than a home with guests so they have their half and we have ours. There are two other couples here (although I'm not a couple so that's not quite the right phrasing but you know what I mean) - one from California and one from Oregon. Both are friendly and outgoing which should make for lively breakfasts.

Class starts this morning at ten. I'll leave early to make sure the shop is where I think it is. I checked the map and it seems I'm oriented but you never know. I like being early too. That way I can get unpacked and set up in plenty of time without rushing. Not that there's a rush. I'm on sewcation - fun and easy and responsibility-free.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - safe drive, new friends

8 comments:

  1. Myrna,
    I can totally relate to having trouble finding friends close to home. My best friends are in the UK and USA! Enjoy your sewcation, I can't wait to read about it!
    Take care,
    Elisabeth...in France

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your sewcation! I do hope you find some friends in your local area, it's nice to catch up now and then for a coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun to meet and chat. I do wish we lived closer.
    The title of the Barbara Sher book that I read was "Refuse to Choose: A Revolutionary Program for Doing Everything that You Love." I believe it's her latest book, published in 2006.
    It struck me how you and I have similar tastes, but different approaches to life/creativity, etc. Fascinating, really.
    Thanks for coming - I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna, you use "VBG" often, and I just don't know what it means? Would you kindly enlighten me?

    You're very fortunate in your life. I made some bad choices when I was younger and now am looking at homelessness at the age of 61. I have multiple medical issues and have no idea what I'm going to do. Please send up some prayers for me; thanks.

    Regards, Gail D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail, not Myrna but VBG is short for very big grin.

    Myrna, I'm glad you're having a nice trip. It looks like a beautiful part of the word. I'm glad you were able to find some delicious gluten free options--I'm thankful that I don't have your dietary restrictions (sorry), but the soup sounds wonderful! And congratulations on the cashmere sweater--I love them. I need to go consignment/thrifting again soon.

    I know you'll be busy at your sewing getaway but please fill us in when you get time later on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time commenter, long time reader. You and I sound like we are in similar places in our lives. I have lived in my present location for 8 years now, and I only recently found a really good friend. We have almost nothing in common except gender and a sense of humour. Life is strange, isn't it. I am going to look for that book by Barbara Sher, I think I am a scanner, wish I wasn't. Anyway, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myrna
    I so relate to comments you made today about finding friends and finding where you are in your life at this moment. I'll be looking for that book. Sounds like it might help. Wish you were closer. I'd love to have a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool is that! the place where you can eat so easily, I mean. It sounds like a lovely place and like you will have a very nice sewcation.

    ReplyDelete