_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 2 September 2010

NOT More Rules To Live By

Today is the second of September. It's seems we've barely started the new year and already we're in the last few months. Seasons cycle with increasing speed. I feel like I missed summer entirely - a mere blink in the scope of other things happening in our lives. It's this awareness of time passing that had me thinking through The Self Imposed Sewing Club.

The point was NOT more rules to live by. The point was to actually get to those patterns and fabrics that I've been putting off for one reason or another and would regret not sewing. As I mentioned earlier this week, I was surprised to find only ten in my pattern stash that met that criteria and two that have snuck in to intrigue me during the process.

While there are twelve patterns, I won't be making them one a month. I'll be making them in a timely and seasonal way that works over the coming year. That's all the criteria I want to impose on myself. After that - pure enjoyment. You'll see the fabrics as I sew each piece. Not all of them are chosen yet although I hope most will come from stash. For now, the patterns.





Once I finish the little girl coat that I'm currently working on, I'll start with Vogue 2934, a vintage design from the 50's. The fabric is a rich purple basket weave bought about five or six years ago. It has just enough drape and just enough crispness to hold this look together. I hope to finish the coat near the beginning of September and take...




... the top of out of print Vogue 2893 with me to a 3 day workshop with Ron Collins at the end of September. We can work on anything we like and this pattern is sufficiently detailed to last for several days. I'm debating a raspberry colored silk dupioni from stash. Something equally strut your stuff as the pattern. This top...



.... and the jacket of the out of print Vogue 2983 both require a wonderful skirt to go with. If you check the line drawings for the V2893 skirt, it is as fascinating as the jacket. It's one of the patterns that snuck in to intrigue me and quite possibly a day project to sew at the same workshop. I'll make it out of a plain black to both show off the lines and to go with upper garments.

The jacket will be sewn from a turquoise and lime houndstooth print that I bought yesterday. I've been watching it for almost a year but at $42.00 a meter, no way. On Monday, it was marked down 70%. Now that I've decided on this pattern, I know that I only need one and a half meters so after thinking about it for several days, I decided I loved it enough to make the $18.90 investment. The navy lining bought earlier will be perfect. Something different about this design is the ribbed cuffs and knit trim. I have the perfect black in stash.



Vogue 1202 will be my Christmas party outfit. I'd like to have it sewn by the end of October at the latest depending on the party date. Right now, I don't think I have two knit fabrics in my stash that go together well enough and still meet the requirements as the skirt needs quite a bit of stretch. I'll dig deeper to see.




A few days ago, I showed you the textured black fabric that I've chosen for the Vogue 1052 jacket with the draped collar. The wide legged pants from Vogue 1186 also call for a lightweight fabric. Finding one that goes with is NOT going to be a problem. I'm deciding what color.




Menopause has hugely affected my mood swings. I'm not doing it well - especially in February. After two nasty Februarys in a row, I'm being proactive in 2011 and have already registered for a workshop with Ron Collins as a chance to get out of the studio/house/town. I'll work on the out of print Vogue 1018 design by Sandra Betzina. It calls for lightweight rayon or jersey. I'll want something plain to show off all those details and something that could transition seasons so I can make the most of this garment.




Kwik Sew 3549 is a relatively new pattern. I bought it a few weeks ago. The minute I saw all those gores with the details, it was love at first sight AND it reminded me of a linen skirt my friend Francine wears. On her skirt, the seams are to the front and add further details to the garment. I want a well washed, soft, real linen as opposed to a linen blend. There are two in my stash that I can think of off hand. One is black and the other is a dark lime. For spring and summer, the lime would be lovely.





This out of print McCall's 9357 is a light and flowing dress that I've loved for YEARS especially the view top left in yellow. It would be the perfect dress for my birthday or our anniversary or our son's graduation in June. They're all in the first week. I'll need more than one outfit and...




... the Butterick 4859 skirt with a pretty top would be another great choice. It calls for a slightly heavier fabric with great drape. Again, to show off the design lines, I'd want a plain fabric versus a print.




Swing coats have been a love for quite a long time so it's no surprise that I've been admiring this out of print Vogue 8146 for years. It's wonderfully flowy and prissy and elegant and fun all at the same time. I might even make the sheath dress to go with although that's not a certainty. Denim would provide an interesting twist to the finished look. I have LOTS of that.

There are thirteen patterns in total if you count the Vogue 1202 skirt and top separately to say nothing of the bra I'll need to go with that top. Thirteen is - hopefully - not too much to make in one year although I'm realistic enough to know that I get caught up in details that take far longer than I anticipated and that I will need other casual garments, especially basic t-shirts, throughout the year. Either way, it's a good beginning.

Gail wrote - Mr Mate's definition of an addiction is so simplistic as to be ridiculous.

As you'll note in my paragraph yesterday, the definition was MY paraphrasing and not Dr. Mate's. The book is significantly far more in-depth and well worth reading. While I agree (and Dr. Mate definitely points out) that there is a distinction between chemical addictions and non-chemical addictions, I would say that an addiction to anything that causes you to spend money you don't have, on things you don't need, to the detriment of your financial security and your emotional and physical well being, while lying about it to yourself and your family, is significant as is working any and all hours while neglecting yourself and your family. Both cause great loss and great pain. And that is something I understand from many perspectives.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - exciting potential, fall smells, workshops

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing us your selection of patterns. I'm so looking forward to reading your progress on these. Also, I must confess that that Butterick 4859 skirt has really caught my eye. Wonder whether I have the skills to make it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrna,

    Great choices— I can really see "you" in all these patterns. They don't look like compromises with "wearability" —they reflect your artistic eye. I think challenging yourself to make and wear these will really make you feel like your style reflects you— something you've written about a lot. Looking forward to seeing how they come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the patterns you have chosen and can't wait to see the process of them being made over the months ahead. They are all creative designs and will really suit you. I totally agree with what 'spottedroo' has said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked many of your selections and look forward to seeing what you do with them. After seeing Vogue 1202 again, I finally broke down and bought it for myself!

    ReplyDelete