_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 17 September 2010

The ME Hour

Balance: a seven letter word fraught with frustration and something I'm finding incredibly difficult to achieve. Although I'm typing, and have every intention so far of hitting post, it's possibly not be a good idea for me to be writing today. It's a whine. Perhaps some of you can relate and offer advice.

It was two o'clock in the afternoon yesterday before I'd finished buying, repackaging, and putting away the groceries. We shop (actually that should read I shop since I'm the only one there) at two stores and will pay more for less to avoid throwing food away which means I go to Costco for larger bulk items and to Save-On for things that Costco doesn't carry or items I want in smaller quantities.

Last pay period, an astronomical amount of money was spent on groceries - twice the budgeted amount. Now that I'm focusing on making meals (as in cooking them) a priority, I've become more aware of prices. I was amazed at how many had increased in the last two week period. Years ago, a woman in our church who runs a frugal website told me that groceries go up three times a year - at the start of school, at Christmas, and at the start of summer holidays. She said these were the times when the increases could be hidden in a change in shopping patterns. I've paid attention. It's true.




I had lunch on the porch. The days are getting colder and it was most likely the last time it'll be warm enough to enjoy being out there. Across the street, the neighbour's oak tree is showing the beauty of fall colors. It made me both appreciative and sad. Time is flying by so fast. I feel like I can't get my breath and focus and find that sweet spot between the things that need to be done and the things that I want to do. The to do list is never ending long and filled with thankless tasks. While I believe that making a home is important, that isn't helping me to love the actual doing.

Last night, when my son was washing dishes after dinner, he threw out the beef gravy. This morning, when I found out, I burst into tears. You know it wasn't the gravy. It was that tipping point. We've all had them.

Since school started, the only significant time I have spent in my studio has been when Wendy and when Sharon were here to sew - one evening and one day. Instead, I've spent hours and hours and copious amounts of energy focused on the care and keeping of a house and of other people. Housekeeping is a peat and repeat job. It never goes away. Thank God, I'm a minimalist. With the amount of energy it takes to look after this little, I can't imagine looking after more.

This morning, I made chili for dinner. It's now simmering in the crock pot. Chopping up the celery, onions, and peppers, browning the meat, and adding spices, I realized that while I like all the ingredients in this recipe, there is at least one that each of the men in my life do not like. I'm overwhelmed by learning to cook from scratch in order to deal with my allergies, thinking up things to cook each day, cooking them, making them taste like something while keeping in mind each person's preferences, and trying somehow to economize. That in itself is a huge task. I've decided not to cook on Sundays.

And while I know my family loves me, I'm also overwhelmed by how easily these cooking, cleaning, shopping tasks have been assigned to me and how they no longer think about them. You see it in subtle statements like yesterday when my husband asked if he could help me by setting the table. Hello. Since when is setting the table my job and since when does a person need permission to do a task? How did I get to be in charge of who and how and when the table is set? Why wait to be asked? If you see it, do it.

Before writing today, I sat down with a cup of coffee and read through my blog list. While I'm inspired by every one's creativity, I'm turning green. Some women are putting out garment after garment. They've sewn more in a week than I've sewn all summer - and everything they sew seems to fit - and look wonderful - and they're so happy and I'm so crabby. Whine - whine - whine - whine - whine - whine - whine - VBG!

School started on the 7th. Today is the 17th. It's only been ten days and already I'm completely drained of energy. While attempting to make everyone else's life easier, my own gas tank hasn't been filled. The things that I want to do, like write the blog in a timely manner, and the things that I need to do for my own sanity, like be creative each day, are not happening with necessary regularity. Next week, I'm starting the ME hour. Over the weekend, I'll figure out when to slot it in but I want at least one hour each day in my studio. It's essential. I don't just want to sew, I need to sew or I'll go crazy.




Yesterday afternoon, a friend phoned. She was having a really down day and needed some company so I went and knit with her for a few hours in the afternoon. Later, during news commercials, I managed to find enough time to cut out the Burda 8219 top. Luckily, the TV is in the family room next to my studio but running back and forth was not stress-less sewing.

Because I'm testing both the style and the pattern, I used the same leopard print fabric that I made a top from earlier this summer. There was just enough left however, because of the shape of the pattern pieces, the "stripes" are horizontal rather than vertical. I attempted to arrange them in helpful positions. Hopefully the lighter portions across the bust and the darker ones across the waist will make one look larger and the other smaller - in theory - we'll see.

I want to finish this top as well as two muslins. Next Thursday, I leave for a three day Ron Collins workshop. I am really looking foward to three days sewing with other creative women and no responsibilities. YES YES! Have a great weekend. I promise to be more cheerful on Monday.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - sewcations

21 comments:

  1. Oh my, we all have these days. I can empathize with your frustration about not getting any sewing done. I have plans, patterns and fabric, but somehow, sewing turns out to be the last thing on my list. I want to change that.

    Coffee on Thursday is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hesitate to say this, as I may be teaching grandmothers to suck eggs. However, I've found the FlyLady to be very helpful. I'm slowly developing routines to help me get things done in manageable chunks.

    The other thing that is helping me (PhD in biochemistry now a p/t hotelier and f/t mum to one) is a bit of a mental trick. I have stopped staying "I have to do X." and instead say "I choose to do X because I...." e.g. I choose to vacuum my living room because I want to be able to walk around barefoot comfortably.

    Your last two posts have /really/ spoken to me, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry - my link didn't work:

    www.flylady.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been coming to your blog for quite a while now, and I want you to know it is one of the things I really look forward to each day. You always seem to say something that I need to hear, and I appreciate your efforts.

    I do have a hint about the food. I learned years ago when picky little children would visit my not-picky children to just put foods they objected to in the blender or food processor. I would chop, blend, mince etc. until these items were no longer identifiable chunks. They never knew what I had put into the chili, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, or whatever. You might try the same with your boys.
    Good luck.

    Linda in TN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had your rant! I think it helps to decompress - even if it is just to us, your bloggy buddies - and I think it also helps to put things into perspective when you "talk them out".

    I also do not cook on Sunday. We have breakfast, which I find less labor intensive (bowl of cereal, anyone?) or leftovers from the fridge and everyone sort of fends for themself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Myrna:
    You have every right to rant/whine. My "don't cook" day is Saturday night. Either it's leftovers, eggs or Subway sandwiches. Eat a piece of fruit for the colour and the vitamins, I say!
    My step-son is 12 now and is (with my support)taking responsibility for Friday night dinner on the weekends he's with us. We usually have home made pizza. I'm easing him into it, but intend to pass dinner off to him before too long.
    I also do the big bulk shop - and it is a big yucky job. I try to do it monthly or bi-weekly if possible. I also sit down and plan out meals every two weeks (we have a re-writable chart). I'm not "locked" into I've written in down and we must eat it, BUT, it means that everyone knows what is for supper and could start it! And I know I have all the necessary ingredients in the house.

    Here's one thing my mother did when my brother and I were young teenagers (13/14). She returned to work outside of the home. She found the maintaining of all the homekeeping stuff too hard and dinner time difficult since she was coming home from work to two hungry teenagers. So, my brother and I were assigned dinner two nights each week. Fridays were pizza night, and Mom did the weekends. On Friday night/Saturday morning, we needed to tell her what we had planned for the following week, and she would oversee the grocery shopping. My father (quite traditional) didn't fit into this schedule. The benefit is now, both my brother and I are excellent cooks. Perhaps your husband could take on dinner a couple of nights a week? With your allergies it might be tougher, but not impossible. I will say that any new routine is a lot of work at the beginning - as I'm finding with my own 12 yr. old.

    I like the "me" hour. As it's "back to school" time (I'm a teacher) I've pretty much kissed my sewing room goodbye. However, I'm hoping to get some sewing done for me this weekend. We'll see how I do.

    Good luck and hang in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband does the food shopping and he completely agrees with the assessment that prices rise in those 3 time brackets.

    You should tell me who those crazy prolific sewing ladies are. If I'm not already following them, I totally want a chance to. You know how I love to torture myself!

    I think you are doing an amazing job of keeping all the balls in the air. May I suggest that you do some kind of schedule where the other people in your life cook dinner a couple of nights a week? Even if you eat cheese and crackers, as long as you add some carrot sticks and a nice merlot, all will be well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you, Myrna, and relate. I could write a post as well but you're says everything so beautifully. Chin up!! You're going to love your sewcation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I smiled when I read your post because when my children were younger this was my life...add in a full time job and volunteering at the church that my DBIL and ex-H pastored and can you say my cup runneth over.

    Can I give you a piece of advice that a dear friend gave me at the time? Keep putting one foot in front of the other, keep walking forward and keep praising God for the things he's given you and for the blessings you have yet to receive.

    It's easy to seem overwhelmed when you are doing the same things over and over again but God did not give you this amazing gift for it not to bear fruit. Your gift is in a holding pattern now (I want to say hibernation but I don't think that's quite true!) but believe me it's being watered and nourished by the creative forces that God has provided for you. When the time is right - and God will provide time for it to bear fruit - it will!

    I know because I've walked these steps and remember these feelings well but I am here to encourage that it will get better, your gift will flourish & grow, you will find your voice again and when it's time you will make 7 garments in one week too!

    Finally, as a practical piece of advice ~ find one day a week and cook meals for 3 or 4 days. My day was Sunday after church but you find a day that works for you...you will be amazed at how much time it frees up!

    Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sometimes amazed and more than peeved and out of balance when "the what I want to do gets buried in what I need to do". The conflict with trying to cook from scratch, housework, work full-time and still have family time along with time for me alone is disheartening. I don't do well if I don't have time for me. I never sew as much as I want.

    One thing that helped me was to cook the time consuming part of the week's meals in one day. My usual cooking day was Sunday. I would look in the paper and plan the week's meals with what was on sale and go shopping earlier in the week usually on Saturdays. If ground beef was on sale, the week's meals would be hamburgers, chili, pasta (gluten free) with meatballs (make extra meatballs for meatball subs), meatloaf, etc made from a combination of ground beef and ground turkey.

    My favorite source of recipes is www.allrecipes.com. I learned that most recipes have common ingredients just different cooking methods. My goal was to pick cooking methods so one dish could be cooking and I didn't wait for food to get done before I could start another dish. I'd learn to appreciate my food processor, crockpot and pressure cooker. I'd cook everything that would still taste good when reheated. The microwave got a workout all week long. During the week, I'd only have to make a salad, cook pasta or other small stuff.

    DH would be available on Sunday to help me cook and sometimes DS would help out. This shortened my time in the kitchen so I'd have more free time during the week. It was easier to get DH's help in a chunk of time once a week. 1. Start out with chopping any vegs and herbs first and set them aside.
    2. Collect and group all of the other ingredients together in cooking order.
    3. Saute any vegs, separate them and then add herbs according to the different recipes. Set them aside.
    4. Next up, start with any recipes that I could start and then walk away from. I learned to think about the cooking order after I burned a few dishes because I couldn't watch them at the same time - first the crockpot, next was the oven, next start any soups. Any cooking that was labor intensive would be started last.

    We could be finished and out of the kitchen in less than 2-4 hours. DH and DS cleaned up and put things away as we worked. The hardest part of the deal is that I had to listen to what they watched on the tv. At the end of the night, I was dog-tired but we had a bunch of plastic containers cooling off and the kitchen was clean.

    Everybody was happy because we ate well and had a variety of food so nobody got bored. The kitchen stayed pretty clean during the week. I was happier because I had more free time during the week and I met my goal of cooking from scratch.

    This is a long winded response to your post but this is how I survive this part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to say that I've been reading your blog for just a little while now, and I really appreciate it. You are terribly honest.

    When I am not able to sew regularly, or when something I have laboured over turns out a wadder, I am far more susceptible to sewing blog jealousy.

    I know I don't write or photograph as well as others, but sometimes it nearly kills me when newer bloggers have scads more followers and are offered book deals. Eeesh!

    And I have little people to raise and we cook from scratch, so I just don't have a lot of time to sew. It can take me an entire month to finish a dress. (And that's if it goes well.)

    Keep hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Myrna, I have been there and done that so I completely understand your frustration. It peeves me that we, as women, are just expected to take care of all of these things. Life is too short to get completely caught up in this drudgery (sorry, that's pretty much how I feel about cooking and housework). It is not one person's job to take care of everyone else in the family, time to delegate.

    You hit the nail on the head when you said your own gas tank wasn't being filled. Make time to fill yourself up with things you love to do. Sewing renews my soul and if I have to ignore some bit of housework in order to reenergize myself, by God, I will. Taking that time out for yourself will not only make you happy, it will also make you more able to deal with the unpleasant tasks that none of us can avoid.

    Frankly, I hate weeknight cooking so I make sure someone else does the grocery shopping because I refuse to get stuck doing both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Myrna, I have also been there, the more than full time job, the teenagers, the hubby that let me control everything. Then it all came crashing down. Things had to change or I literally was not going to come out of a major depression I had worked into. And change they did. The bottom line is DH learned and learned well that a happy Momma makes everybody happy and that if I didn't get to unleash the creativity bottled up inside I literally would go crazy. We worked it all out and I am so proud of how my DH changed. Not many people can do that. He took responsibility for much more and was more than happy to give me the free time I needed to keep my sanity, and therefore his. I will be eternally grateful for that.

    I know this doesn't help you but I just wanted to say as many have that I have been in your shoes and it will change. Your creative time will come. In the meantime keep nurturing it as you can and know that many are here to support you.

    Love your writing, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen, sister!

    I completely understand about the housework and cooking and shopping becoming overwhelming. They are thankless and endless jobs ... and can make one feel invisible. So, like you, I have to be sure to fill up my well. That is something that no one can do for you. You need to do it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sending you a big hug because girl, I've BEEN THERE. I think that a LOT time when I'm reading really creative people's blogs...how do they find the time and energy to DO that?? I have my productive moments too, but its by and large on easy to fit things.

    When I'm having those weeks, where I get really envious of bloggers who can just whip out things with few alterations, I stop reading them. That kind of envy just saps my own creativity. I may love the blogger, but I read blogs to be inspired, not feel worse about my endeavors. When I'm in a better frame of mind, I go back and begin to read again. I'll be honest though, some I have never returned to. Not because they don't have amazing talent or make fabulous things...but because for me personally, it's not inspiring to see someone open a pattern, cut it out, sew it and wear it.

    And for dinner...I'll admit I've been investigating some of those prepared things that you can tweak. Like the "all in one" frozen bags. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it! I add my own veggies and mix it up, but it really is a time saver and has lightened some of the responsibility to get creative in that area for me. Since I have a very small family, the economics of it are a small price to pay for the mental tradeoff!

    angie.a (Can't sign in for some reason!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello,

    i just discovered your blog and this entry really moved me. i think just about any woman who has tried to undertake some sort of sustained creative activity has had similar moments--we're all there with you. :/

    i was once in a writing class and the teacher said something along these lines:

    i only have one piece of advice, and this is for everyone, but especially for all the women in this room. you can always be a little more selfish. the people who love you, there's always a little more they can give you; you'll be surprised at how happy they are to give it. be more selfish.

    i think about this often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This afternoon, I came to your blog for the first time, via Carolyn. I am older than you, with a grown family, but what you are feeling still revisits me and I sometimes feel overwhelmed. I have no words of great wisdom. Here are a few things that sometimes help me. I hope something here will "click home" for you. Some of them, others may have already mentioned.
    Trying to get enough sleep.
    Talking with DH about reorganizing the household work.
    Maybe taking a WHOLE DAY for yourself each week and use that day to refresh yourself creatively?
    If it's in the budget, hiring sometime to clean twice a month.
    Teaching family members to wash clothes and cook.
    Scheduling a regular coffee date with girlfriends.
    God bless you!

    Kathy A.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for Lekala patterns, it is amaizing site...
    me very interested in sewing bras but I do not know where to start ... can you recommend me some sites ...
    Milica from Croatia

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read your post and it's like you're reading my mind! I'm sorry you're having a rough time, but I'm also glad I'm not the only one!!!! I hope things get better for you, and I can't wait to see that leopard print piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, first time I've been on your blog. Some of the others have mentioned cooking several meals in one day. You might benefit from a concept called Once a Month Cooking. There are people who prepare anywhere from a month to three months of food at a time. Some of the best books I know of are "The Big Cook" and "Don't Panic Dinners in the Freezer." You basically give up two or three days to shop and prepare food so that for the rest of the month or three months you can take something out of the freezer. The meals may be cooked all the way through or just ready to be cooked depending on the type of food. It sounds like this might really help you out. Also, I agree with you an hour of sewing a day. Put it in your planner and do it if that is what you need. Oh, I'm not sure what you're dietary restrictions are but if it's GLuten intolerance you might also try Stephanie Odea's "Crockpot Lady." blog. Good luck! SusanC

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm still trying to work on that ME hour thing. I often get one at 10 PM when I am too tired to sew after doing all day. That is good simple knitting and reflecting time but not good sewing time. I am working on a few me breaks when I have more energy. You are right they are so necessary.

    ReplyDelete