_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 25 August 2010

The Self Imposed Sewing Club

When the latest BMV sales offer arrived Sunday night, my first reaction was I haven't even got my last order yet, a thought quickly followed by and I haven't sewn anything from the order before. Having just read Victoria's posting Scaling Back A Good Bit, I recalled her words "I can't possibly have every pattern I want and let alone be able to sew it up."

I graduated high school in June 1980. My brother married the month before. My parent were young, 38 and 43, and they couldn't afford a wedding and a graduation so although I had a pattern picked out, I had to wear my bridesmaid's dress. I resented that for a long time even after I understood the reasoning from an adult perspective. It was a dream dress. It was my moment. I wanted that once in a life time opportunity to wear it. I only gave the pattern away a few years ago. Now, I want it back. It's a garment I regret not sewing.




In her blog 37 Days, Patti talks about the last 37 days of her stepfather's life - from diagnosis to death - and the huge impact that time had on her. She says what emerged was a renewed commitment to ask myself this question every morning "what would I be doing today if I only had 37 days to live?" For Patti, the answer is to write.

While I love to write - and it could quite possibly be said that I love to write more than I love to sew - what comes to mind are all the garments I've put off sewing because they are too where would I wear that-ish or worse yet, the years I put off sewing fashions all together waiting for the perfect body which I've since learned is the one I have right now.




If what can be worn at 18 looks silly at 28, worse at 38, and quite ridiculous at 48, it's equally probable that what can be worn at 48 will look silly at 58, worse a 68, and quite ridiculous at 78. No matter how amazing I age, I cannot imagine myself wearing a leopard print top, short skirt, and tippy heels at 78. Maybe but maybe not which means if I want to wear it, I better wear it now while I can and stop putting things off. Yesterday, I pulled out one of those bought but never worn belts, buckled it up, and wore it all day. So what if it makes me look short waisted and fat.

In This Thing Is Working, the Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, talks about her Self Imposed Sock Club. She writes... In January I matched 12 patterns I really wanted to get around to with 12 yarns I really wanted to get around to, rammed one set per month into ziplocks and shoved them onto the top shelf of my downstairs stash closet. Every month since then I've been drawing one at random, and I can't believe how much fun it is.




Sometimes when the BMV order finally arrives, I can't even remember what's in the package. This time, I've been excited about Donna Karan V1202 for weeks. It is so - absolutely not - small town Kamloops that I don't care. I'm going to sew it anyway. I don't want this to be another pattern I regret.

In fact, I'm debating a Self Imposed Sewing Club starting in September where I match up patterns I've been wanting to sew with fabrics that I've been putting off cutting into and once a month, I pull a package and sew it. What fun that would be. When I die, it's not coming with me. In fact, it's most likely not coming to the old folk's home so if not now, when?




Also eagerly awaited was V2934, an original 1950 jacket design. It's simple, elegant, a little bit different, doable with a skirt or jeans, fun, flirty, and somewhat unique - all adjectives I wouldn't mind describing myself. It needs to be sewn. In fact, I have two fabrics that would be just perfect. Perhaps this will be September's project to get me started and the Donna Karan would be perfect for November to wear to the Christmas party. YES YES!

A Self-Imposed Sewing Club - how does that sound to you? Can you relate? What have you been putting off? Will you get to it?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - My daughter's Father-in-law has Type 1 diabetes. He recently bought himself a new pump and has gifted Kyle with his older model - FOR FREE. This is an INCREDIBLY generous - read thousands of dollars - gesture and an answer to prayer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - In their book The Art of Possibility, authors Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander put forward thoughts for transforming your professional and personal life. This is my second time reading the book. It's powerful. Simple not easy. I could read the book many times just to let the words sink in and to be remind of, and encouraged to continue, practicing these concepts.

In chapters like It's All Invented, Stepping into a Universe of Possibility, Giving an A, Being a Contribution, and Leading From Any Chair, the authors talk about new perspectives that encourage both ourselves and others. Perspectives that will allow us to consider if I had 37 days and move beyond I regret not sewing that dress and fall in love with the amazing potential of the Self Imposed Sewing Club.

19 comments:

  1. Whenever I read one of these thoughtful posts, I find myself nodding my head in agreement. This is the reason I sew so much. Because it's what I want to do and what makes me happy. It calms me and allows me to explore my creative side...after years of taking care of others, this is something I'm doing for me. Now! While I can still see to enjoy it!

    And btw, the belt does not make you look short and/or fat! You look very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egad M, I just got V2934 in the sale and I'm so happy. I was mulling it over and wondering about whether I should do it (I have so many patterns to sew and others that are vintage inspired jackets), but seeing it here makes me so glad I did. It's just beautiful, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost always check in to read your posts each morning, you always give me something interesting and useful to think about as I head into my own busy day. Today is no exception, the idea of 37 days, and the "self imposed sewing club" are definitely something to mull over.

    When I look at your picture today, I see someone who looks stylish and shapely, and you do not look "fat and short-waisted" to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this self-imposed sewing club idea. I have patterns and projects that I've never gotten too, and some of them still speak to me, even thought I would do things very differently than I would have in my 30s or 40s. I want to do what I want and need to do to feed my soul, even if that means catching up with some old dreams rather than allowing them to fester.

    I was reminded of this lately as I spoke to my step-daughter. She has been going through her mother's stuff because her mother has to go to a nursing home, but is unwilling to part with many of her things. The kids have agreed to store things for her. What strikes me is two-fold: those things will never be used and I've seen this happen too many times. Secondly, the really sad thing is that her mom can't let go because there are too many unfilled dreams and wishes attached to those things. I don't want to be in that place when it is my turn.

    So I ziploc bags of projects and all, I am going to feed my soul while I still can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A self-imposed sewing club. I like that. This might be something to inspire me to cut into my pile of fabrics and actually finish something wearable.
    I did sew my own dress for the wedding. Hopefully I'll post a photo. It was fun to make - lots of construction. (Vogue 1108)
    And I think that outfit looks smashing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post. I started to decrease the amount of fabrics purchase. I have fabrics in my stash that I bought in 1978 and the reality is that I will never be able to sew all the fabrics I own. A few years ago I gave away 3 big plastic bags full with patterns dating back to 1972, that was early 2007. I gave it away becuase I stop sewing clothes and was sewing quilts and home dec. Then the summer of 2007 I found all these great sewing blogs and the rest is history. Also I've become a lot more selective with my patten purchase, because I own over 1000+ patterns. I have inherited a sewing machine, and tons of sewing notions from my friend 96-year old grandmother who died last winter. When my time comes I want to be able to let go and not hold on to dreams that we never fulfill.
    Again thank you for such thoughtful post

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! Your post hit a RESOUNDING CHORD with me. Way too often I put off sewing certain outfits waiting until I loose a few pounds so it will looks perfect on me or I just use a number of other excuses. I think I will join you in a Self-Imposed Sewing Club. Lord knows I need the clothes and I have few excuses except time, but I can at least squeeze in a lot more than I've been sewing. Thanks for the inspiration. I think I'm going set a goal of at least 2 outfits a month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW you look great in your outfit, you don't look short waisted or fat. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you look fabulous in your leopard top, black skirt and heels (and I think you probably still will at 78!!). I love the Self-Imposed sewing club idea! I might have to join you on that. I too have too many great things all stored up in my brain (and closet) that need to see the light of day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, you definitely do not look short waisted or fat - the proportions are terrific on you, and I bet would look just as good at 72, too.

    Lots of food for thought today as I attempt to reorganize my sewing area and am wondering what to do with all the UFOs staring back at me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely do not look short-waisted and fat! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your post after I got home this evening...so appropriate, becuase today I finally (at age 50+) had my toenails painted a lovely shade of light blue! I decided if I did not do it now, then when and it was just polish after all. The lady in the next chair (my age too) asked me politely if I wore a lot of blue? I told her this was just part of my bucket list of things to do....as she left, she came over to show me I had inspired her outside her comfort zone for a lovely sparkely shade of purple....We just need to give ourselves permission to have fun where we can. And you look great in your leopard outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that you like to write because your post are always thought provoking. I like the idea of Self Imposed Sewing Club. I need to challenge myself to try new techniques and styles. The idea of combining a new style and a new technique is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No way does that belt make you look "short waisted and fat" you look stylish and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Myrna, you look lovely in that outfit. The Vogue outfit is also NOT small town Mullumbimby, but I, too, will be wearing it. I really like your sewing plan and I may well start something like that myself. This post is what I needed to read today. Thank you for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your black/white ensemble is great. You look happy and content in the photo. I may "dig" out some belts (I may not!).....Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Myrna, I love your outfit. The leopard print top is particularly stunning. Your idea of the self imposed sewing club is a brilliant one and thought provoking. What a great way to motivate yourself. I think it's definitely an idea that would catch on, especially if you decide to do a sew-along. So many women desire to be disciplined to do the same. BTW,thanks for mentioning my post--you're sweet (smile)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm, really good food for thought. I have so many projects planned and materials bouught,but yet they have never come to fruition. What am I waiting for? If I have things I need before I can get to my fabulous projects, I should just buy them and spend my time sewing some of tose things I have been putting off.

    ReplyDelete