_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 27 August 2010

Uncomfortable In Jeans

Two women were walking along the sidewalk a few weeks ago as I was driving home from downtown. Their skirts caught my eye - graceful, pretty, flirty. Dresses and skirts are appearing in public far more often now. When I go to Starbucks, there's this strange mix of feminine dress and too much lycra. I find myself alternating between "that skirt is gorgeous" and "oh dear, please find a mirror" type thoughts.

What's equally strange is feeling slightly uncomfortable in jeans, especially if worn with a plain t-shirt and no accessories. Dressed up jeans with heels is becoming the bare minimum. It's a change and really quite delightful to see women enjoying dressing more. I find myself making more of an effort and it's fun like this...



... Butterick 4859 skirt. I bought this pattern when it first came out a few years ago and it has sat there ever since. I'm not sure if it's on the I'd regret it if I never sewed this list but it's certainly on the I'd enjoy wearing this one.




Out of print Vogue 2893 is on the would regret list. You might remember the posting On The Way To The Party from last December. The top was sewn, fitted, finished and ready to wear and then I washed it to remove the chalk markings and it shrank beyond wearable. While shrinking is not the end of the world, it was upsetting especially as I'd prewashed the fabric. I was looking forward to wearing this top. I'm going to make it again and actually wear it - maybe with jeans and heels and some accessories. No party necessary.



Out of print Vogue 1018 is also on the list. See a theme? Out of print. One of the assistants at the workshop I took with Sandra Betzina in April wore this skirt. It looked FABULOUS. When I saw how amazing it looked I wondered why I had been putting it off and I know it's because of all the work for those tucks. What if it doesn't fit or looks awful? SO WHAT! Enjoy the details.




My daughter and I do not have similar taste. Occasionally we're surprised and like the same thing but more often we do not although as I type that I'm thinking of the tops she's worn since she arrived and how I've liked all of them so perhaps we do have similar tastes or maybe we're both growing into similarity. Who knows. What I do know is that we both loved these Ralph Lauren boots in the latest Vogue magazine.

I'm not a fan of the old fashioned, ruffled look but I love love love Victorian style shoes. I. Want. These. Boots. It's not likely to happen. I imagine they are miles and miles out of my price range but since I couldn't find a link online, I'll continue dreaming for now.

Have you noticed more skirts, dresses, jeans dressed up, more femininity out in public? Is it changing how you dress? In what way?

Have a great weekend. Talk Monday - Myrna

Grateful - It's been wonderful having my daughter and SIL here. It's so nice to get real hugs. Howard is off work tomorrow. He'll be home a full weekend instead of just Sunday with half of the day spent in church. YES YES

4 comments:

  1. I find there are thing I like that I won't wear. The boots you pictured for example, I like but would kill me to wear. So I continue to like, but I buy and wear something else. As for dressing up, I'm the cutting edge in my farming community. My twill trousers seem terrible dressed compared to jeans. However I notice that more and more people are dressing up. I had this inane thought that perhaps they enjoyed my compliments - I've often stopped to tell someone how nice they look or pointed out a nicely dressed couple to my DH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely must remake the Vogue top and wear it with some jeans! And we will find you a knock-off of the RL boots, so you can wear them too! Oh how fabulous you will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Carolyn, you simply must make that top. It will look fantastic.
    Love the boots .... but they are awfully high ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those boots are divine. I love that Butterick skirt and I, too, bought it when it came out. I just pulled it out last week to consider making it for fall. Problem is- I don't have just the right fabric for it, and since I am really drawn to the version with the contrast, I'll have to find not one, but two suitable fabrics.

    ReplyDelete