_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 24 August 2010

Baby Girl Gifts

If you read any blog long enough, you'll see reoccurring themes beyond the obvious. One of mine is the best use of time, money, and energy. Another is encouraging creativity. And another is it's all entertainment. I'm working on two projects that bring these together.

Sewing for other people is so typically under-appreciated that I rarely waste my time doing so except in a way that benefits me - like with baby girl gifts. My daughter will be twenty-four this year. It's been years since I sewed little girl things. I wrote Katie to ask her about closures - as in why would this garment need a 14" zipper - because I didn't remember chubby diaper bums.




Last week, I bought cotton lawn on sale 50% off and even though lace is outrageously expensive, the entire garment will cost $13.00. I could buy a gift for that but not as nice of one and, if I make it, I get to play with styles and notions that haven't crossed my machine in a while. Aren't these lace edged flounces beautiful?


The pattern is Butterick 4967, with three flounces in a size 2. It's for a woman in my knitting group who is having a little girl in October. I have a blue sweater knit that will make a cute cover up to go with. Since most of the other women in the group are knitting gifts, I wanted to sew something. It also reduces expenses, keeps me entertained, and lets me be creative. YES YES

A friend's daughter had a little girl in June. I'm still wrapping my mind around the idea that my friend is a grandmother and that her daughter - who was ten when I first met her - is now a mother herself. Time passages and all.




For that little girl, I plan to sew a dress up, Sunday, go to church, type coat using Simplicity 2745 and left over boucle from my pink jacket. I'll layer the top fabric with thinsulite and lining, quilt in channels, and then cut out and sew the pieces together with bound seam allowances. I'm looking forward to working on this project. I enjoy details.

School starts in two weeks, fall is almost here, and it feels as if summer never was. Our household has been up in the air with Howard's surgery and recovery. Summer sewing never happened and it's too late to start now. Instead, I'm looking forward to fall and winter fashions. These projects will bridge the gap.




Another bridge project might be a dog coat. I can't believe I just typed that. My own baby girl and her husband are coming today until Saturday and bringing Chloe, our grandbaby puppy. She's a toy apricot poodle and only a couple months old. Apparently, she's freezing and needs a coat to go with her red rhinestone collar. LOL - we'll see. Maybe if she refrains from messing on my floor and if I'm not too busy visiting with my daughter and son-in-law.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a visit from the "kids"

3 comments:

  1. Our first grandchild will be born in December. Once the wedding hoopla is over I'm planning on sewing baby things. It will be fun to see the process and progress on your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved making baby things when my grandson was little. Oh gosh, that puppy is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lace trimmed flounces!! So pretty! That little girl is going to be adorable in her ensemble. That coat pattern is a fun one, and I think quilted boucle will be fabulous, and not something you see on a child every day. I really love dressing children in "adult" fabrics (as long as they're washable!). I think a "child" design in a "grown-up" fabric is so fun and unique!

    ReplyDelete