_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 30 August 2010

Like A Hibernating Squirrel

Friday morning, my daughter sat in the curl up chair and read while I began work on the little girl's coat. Every so often, the quiet was broken by conversation or by Chloe chewing on something she shouldn't as puppies are prone to do. It was lovely to have my daughter here. I enjoyed sharing my special space with her and our conversations and now, she's back home again - many hours away. Darn. I wish they were able to live closer.




It looks like I'll have just enough of the boucle for the coat. I arranged all the pieces and then cut the fabric in two to create smaller more manageable sections. Each 26" x 55" piece was layered with thinsulite and lining fabric and stitched every half inch. Tedious to do. Wonderful results.

There's one small section left that hopefully won't need to be quilted and can be used for the facings and collar. Once the coat is cut out, I'll know for sure. That could have been done yesterday. Instead, I meandered around all weekend. The weather is cooler. The days felt slower. Fall is approaching. I didn't feel like rushing here and there - just like being.

Saturday morning, I started reading Mitch Albom's book The Five People You Meet In Heaven. It was so interesting that I finished reading it before doing anything else. It's a novel. When the main character dies, he meets five people in heaven that explain the unseen connections of his earthly life - the rest of the story. The book makes you think about the things that you despair of or rail against or take for granted and about their true value. My mind continues to ponder.

This morning, I'll spend time with Kyle organizing school supplies and seeing what else he needs and then a quick run around with the vacuum for a visitor this afternoon. Sarah is in town for two days of meetings starting tomorrow. She has this afternoon to visit. We met at the bra workshop I took last October and then again in the Sandra Betzina/Ron Collins workshop. At the end of September, when I go back for the next workshop, she'll be there as well. What fun. We'll stop by Fabricland, visit my studio, go for dinner, and talk lots of sewing I'm sure.

The visit to Fabricland is for Sarah. She lives in a small town on Vancouver Island that does not have a fabric store and needs some lining. I went to Fabricland on Saturday, walked in, walked around, and left empty handed. Isn't that an accomplishment. Nothing interested me. I've reached that irritable overload point where I need to either sort out or stitch up some fabric before buying anything more. What a great way to approach fall - stashed up for winter like a hibernating squirrel. Too funny. Have a great day.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - thought provoking literature

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - The sermon Sunday was about spiritual posture - eyes lifted, hands open, knees bent - and about using our talents to serve God and others. Thinking about the sermon, about the message of Mitch's book, and about developing my fall routine, I'm reminded of the importance of valuing the now. Instead of being itchy and anxious about the unknown, to enjoy fully THIS space, allowing it to be all that it can be until it becomes something else. Live fully in THIS moment not dwelling on the past or wishing for the future. Be here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment