_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Polka Dot Tea Pot

My friend Barb loves to give gifts and she's tremendously good at digging in and helping out. She's a very easy guest. I met her four years ago when I was teaching in Victoria where she lives. She's a retired food scientist and over the last year and half since I've developed these allergies, has been using that knowledge and her cooking skills to help me figure out food. YES YES!




These are gluten free (and dairy and soy and corn) goodies including two chocolate bars. We ate the orange zinger one last night. YUMMY.




Apparently this polka dot tea pot screamed my name while Barb was out shopping one day with her sister-in-law. It's a belated birthday gift. What fun. It came with an oval shaped, very firm, box with a solid lime lid that will be lovely in the studio.




It would make more sense for my day-to-day sewing if I turned the two desks into an L shape setting the serger on one and the sewing machine on the other. I don't because my friend Wendy comes to sew once a week, Caroline comes for occasional days, Barb comes for several extended stays a year, and I've had other periodic studio guests as well. This other desk is for them. Since I'm usually alone in a quiet studio, it's a bit of a shock to suddenly have so much stuff around... and fun too.




I believe it's important to have a space of our own to create in and that our space reflects our interests and preferences and not be filled with discarded and make-do furniture and miscellaneous stuff. It's where we refresh. It's an important space.

The glass jar above was the globe from the outside light fixture that was changed a few weeks ago. The carpenter was going to throw it away only I thought it was too pretty to discard. Now, it's on the work island holding felt pens for pattern tracing.




I bought these knits last week on my fourth visit to Fabricland. When I got that you're here again look, I told the ladies it was all my husband's fault. The day before Caroline bought some red and royal blue yardage. When I told Howard about the rich colors, gorgeous feel, and how the price was 50% off but that I thought it might go lower so I was waiting, he said he thought the price sounded reasonable and that color might be nice. Hmm... someone else who thinks I wear too much black. Too funny. I bought the purple, fuchsia, and teal AND...




... started with the teal. The knit is quite stable, slightly stretchier than the muslin fabric I used on the weekend. After those stable and stretchy comparisons, I hope it's not going to show every lump and bump. I'll let you know.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - fire fighters

2 comments:

  1. I use my light fixture globe as a little vase! Yes, they are too pretty to just throw away.

    I like what you wrote about how important it is to have a space of ones own to create in. When I was able to have a custom made sewing cabinet created for my sewing room, that was the day my space transformed from a nice sewing room into MY STUDIO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These versatile teapot favor boxes are great for any event.The Polka Dot Collection is a Top Seller.

    ReplyDelete