_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 13 August 2010

Purse Handles

Other than choosing four fabrics for the center of the flowers, not much happened with the purse yesterday. Even so, I'm pleased with these choices. They'll give more energy, depth, and visual dimension to the piece. After I stitch them in place that is. Hopefully that will happen this weekend.




This morning, I'm having coffee with a friend who has been away on holidays. Then, I absolutely must clean house. After that, there's a pile of yard work to do. And then... You know how it goes. Endlessly!

Carol wrote - I'm looking forward to seeing this bag. I'm keen to see how you get the handles in. I've made several bags with these and each time I have cursed a lot, screamed even. I've certainly vowed never to do it again. Now I know the original pattern is just tied up, but I'm very interested to see what you do. I love the stitching work too and I wish I had your patience!

I have a different way in mind to finish this purse and will take pictures as I go so you can see it step-by-step. Meanwhile, I thought you might enjoy another version using the same handles. It started with a wicker purse that was a gift from a friend and eventually wore out. I took it apart to make a pattern.




Below you can see the handle pocket or facing or whatever we'll call it. Purple. The lower curved edge was finished by turning it to the wrong side. Most likely I serged it to prevent fraying. I stitched the pocket to the purse right sides together, clipped and pressed the seam, and then turned the pocket through the handle and to the inside of the purse where it was top stitched in place securing the handle. Because there's so much room, it was easy enough to do. I think that's the secret. Space.




The front of the purse is left over quilting bits combined with stitched upholstery fabric. Below is the collage of scrappy bits. I made two of these. One for the front and one for the back. Both were free motion stitched using a closed darning foot to avoid catching on all the edges. These have frayed and softened with time.




Below is the almost finished bag. It needs a closure. It still does. I can't remember when I made this bag, about six years ago I think. It was a gift to myself. Every year on my birthday, I do something for me and the bag was one year's project. It's now a knitting bag and receives lots of compliments.




Yesterday, my friend's baby picked up my baby and they drove to the movies together. It was a moment. I aged significantly. I clearly remember our two bellies. It seems not that long ago. When did they get to be this old? I'm sure this calls for a fabric toast - LOL. Have a great weekend.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - The cycle of life. While there are times when I face the cycle kicking and screaming, there is comfort in the normalcy of the pattern. Things are as they are to be.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely lovely bag! The colors work wonderful together!

    ReplyDelete