_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Studio Stuff

These three planters are new this year. When I bought them, I hoped they would provide both privacy and a windbreak and they have. Most summers, the wicker furniture gets blown clear across the porch several times a week, usually during the night when I'd rather be sleeping. This summer, I haven't had to rescue it once AND we're seeing a lot less of our neighbours and their ugly chimney. YES YES.




Luckily, our porch is a peaceful place. I spent a lot of time there this weekend. I wish I could report that the weekend was highly productive. I can't. Unless you count throwing a superb hissy fit which I did very well. It started with my hormones which are running rampant and very late and then moved onto my hair which my stylist cut into the same predictable style even though I'd asked for something different. From there, things went rapidly downhill. Pretty soon, everything was wrong with everything.

Howard and I ended up having that same old, same old fight. You know the one. Every relationship has its version. It's the one about the things that can't be changed nor lived with. We didn't come to any better conclusions than ever before but thankfully my hissy wore off and yesterday I was able to spend some time in the studio working on the bag. The next few postings will be about the process. If you are bored by bags, I hope you'll hang in there. I'll attempt not to be one myself - LOL.




After adding the center fabrics, I used fabric markers to further define the shapes and then threadwork to create petal like imagery as you can see below. At first, I didn't like how it looked but as I've continued working on the bag, I'm beginning to. Even if I didn't like it, I can tell you from experience that someone else will. I found that so fascinating when I was exhibiting textile art pieces. The one that I absolutely hated would be someone else's favourite. That awareness has helped me to stay with a piece when I make a decision I wish I hadn't. Sometimes, it just takes a little time, a few more steps, a change of perspective, and things work out. Hmm... there's a life lesson!




Right now, the bag is in pieces almost ready to sew together. Another fabric was needed so I chose the turquoise print above for its Japanese-ish-ness that goes with the theme. It'll be used for the upper front and back section which includes the handles and for binding the edges. More details soon.

I had to buy the turquoise fabric. It was $20.00. I hated spending that money. I would much rather have used a fabric from stash only there wasn't an appropriate one. Considering how much fabric I have, that too was annoying. My choices were to either stop working on the project or purchase what I needed. I didn't like either option.

If I stopped working on the project, I'd either end up doing nothing or starting on another project losing the flow of this one and creating a UFO. There's a reason why I work on one project at a time and having finally established that work pattern, I don't want to change it now. Besides, unless I limited myself to projects for which I knew I had absolutely everything, the problem would simply reoccur. Even repeat sewing is not completely predictable and refashioning definitely isn't. Which means that while I prefer to use what is in the studio, there will be times when I can't and I'll have to figure out how to purchase without a paycheque.

Did you know that spending $2.00 a day equals $730.00 a year? $10.00 a day equals $3,650.00, $20.00 a day equals $7,300.00, and $50.00 a day equals $18,250.00 a year. Those totals are stressful when money is flowing out and encouraging when it's flowing in. I extrapolate totals like that to keep myself aware of both money's positive and negative potential as it would be no problem at all to spend fifty or more dollars a day on things to amuse myself. I can't go there.

Having more time than money has changed how I can move through the world. It's limiting in many ways and motivating in others. Lack can be an amazing creative push. It makes you think outside the box and use what you have. I'm quite impressed that I've only needed to purchase one thing for this purse. Of course, that's because I have a huge stash but how wonderful that I stashed up in the good years and can enjoy it in the lean years. YES YES!

Yesterday, I made a zippered opening for the bag using the rhinestone zipper I picked out of the shrunken Christmas outfit that wasn't. The zipper had been shortened to fit the back of the top and was now the perfect length for the purse. I'm quite sure that I wouldn't have thought of using it if I wasn't searching through my zipper basket for one that would work. FUN!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the end of hissy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Life in our North American culture is so strongly built on both working and spending. Not having a job makes me unusual. Wanting to live within our means AND pay down debt, makes things difficult. The easy answer would be to get a job however, right now the only jobs available to me are outside the home during hours that would mean giving up on another goal that has higher priority. The goal of being there for my son. The pull between the two is strong. I keep having talks with myself. It's another year, two at the most, and then I'll have different options. I call times like this the vacuum of the unknown. They are itchy, anxious, and uncomfortable until you come out the other side knowing what's next. There's a lesson here. It'll be interesting to discover.

4 comments:

  1. If you really want a change in hairstyle, go to a new stylist and take a picture of what you'd like. That's what I did after years of getting the same old haircut. I looked at hundreds of styles on line and printed a few out and then took them with me. I got something totally different, enough to make me think, 'what the heck have I done!' I liked it but didn't love it but everyone else loved it... so when I returned to my new stylist I had a new picture with a similar cut but not so dramatic. Now I love it just as much as everyone else AND it's totally different that the previous 20 years worth of haircuts I've had.

    Kelsie Mathews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you about not wanting to spend because there are so many valuable ways to spend money - and adding to a fulsome stash isn't one of them. But the fabric you got is great and it's a means to an end.

    I admire your goal to live within means and to prioritize time over money. It is, after all, just another form of currency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, regarding your haircut, I once asked for a haircut change and got something that was basically the same old. I called my stylist the next day and spoke with her about it. She asked me if I wanted to come back in and she'd re-do it for free. When we pay for a service, we should get what we asked for and paid for. You did not and should ask her to fix it and especially since you are on a tight budget. Or do like my daughter did and pay $3 for a haircut and new style. You can get a cheap cut at hair stylist schools if you are willing to take a chance on a student who has a teacher close by.

    I have loved watching what you are doing with the purse fabric! How do you sew the flower petals? If you are not revealing trade secrets, do you sew free motion?

    Thanks for sharing,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Having more time than money has changed how I can move through the world. It's limiting in many ways and motivating in others. Lack can be an amazing creative push. It makes you think outside the box and use what you have...Of course, that's because I have a huge stash but how wonderful that I stashed up in the good years and can enjoy it in the lean years."

    I can honestly admit that this is why my fabric collection is so large. I'm constantly "stashing" against the day that money will be tight because I've been there, done that. Just knowing that it's there in case anything happens soothes me!

    ReplyDelete