_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 9 February 2012

Creative Embellishments

As I was running out the door to meet my friend yesterday, I grabbed this book - Creative Embellishments by Sherrill Kahn - from off the studio bookshelf where it has been for I'm not sure how long and started looking through it while waiting. Just in case they don't get away from their office when expected, I always take something along to read when meeting friends for lunch. LOL - it's amazing what I find on my own shelves.




The book contains all sorts of mixed media ideas ranging from fabric covered beads to air dried clay to laminated bangles to textures sandwiched between melted sheet protectors.




Of all the ideas, my favourite was the fabric and wire wrapped beads embellished with yarn and smaller beads. Such a novel thought. Not. I know I did a lot of research on this exact topic a few months ago and all along I had this great book on my shelf. Go figure! Actually... maybe I bought it then. Either way, I have the supplies in stash and this is something I want to try soon.

Sometimes it feels like I'm procrastinating when really I'm evaluating things in my mind. That's what the last few days have felt like. Perhaps it's less about fear and procrastination and more about am I heading in too many unknown directions and do I need to focus on creations made almost entirely from textiles, beads, and other simple jewelry findings and not worry so much about fillers and weights and clay and things like that? I think so. I bet if I walk in that direction, those things will naturally fall into place. For instance...




... when I look at this example of a fabric wrapped bead necklace, there are aspects I like and aspects that I personally don't find appealing and my mind buzzes with possibilities for improving on the idea. That's good. It's a place to start. But not right now. One phone call yesterday and life suddenly got complicated. Until it settles down, I am letting go of learning new things and focusing on creativity that nourishes like bags and fashions and home decor. If that turns out to include learning new things, good and enough only I'm not pushing it right now. Instead...




... I'm making a much altered version of this Piping Hot Hobo bag from The Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam of U-Handbag starting with...




... this 24" square left over from the last wall art exhibit I had in January of 2010. The exhibit pieces were made in 2009 and this one didn't form the base I was looking for and didn't go any further. It's...




... densely stitched as you can see in this detail image. NOT something I was going to throw away but definitely a good starting point for another adventure. Last night, I cut out most of the bag pieces and already there's an issue. YEAH - love those issues. They lead me in all sorts of interesting directions.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- hugs

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion, 'Hate your enemy.' I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that. - Matthew 5:43-45

God doesn't call us to JUST the easy stuff. He promises I will be with you.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister! Still, I wouldn't choose the hard parts of life if I could avoid them, those poke-your-tongue-in-the-hole-where-the-tooth-used-to-be losses, that still ache years later. Prayers of strength for you, from this little corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete