_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 27 February 2012

Sewing Room Sale

We have two 64" love seats each with a camel back and curved arm shape that are covered in a bright forest green that is - IMHO - way better than beige and still neutral enough to go with everything. For the past fifteen years, the couches have been in our family room. The fabric is slightly worn and the foam is completely shot. Even so, they're better than anything I've found in the stores. Plus, they're free. I already own them.




While we're not ready to invest the cost of re-upholstering, we did try those stretchy love seat covers - or Spanx for furniture as some designers put it - and they looked terrible so I ordered four high density foam cushions on the weekend and for just over a hundred dollars plus a cleaning, they'll look fresher and will be usable for a few more years. I'll add some ball feet and colorful throw cushions and that will perk up the look even more and make them perfect for our new living room.
I've spent a LOT of time reorganizing our furniture so the pieces will be located in new spaces giving the impression that everything is different when it's not really, just sort of. The round pedestal table that's been stored under the stairs for most of the past twenty years will be back in the dining. The check couch that's been in the living room for just as long will now be in the studio, the floral chair will be in the guest room, and so on. It's fun - and economically wise - because other than appliances, the only items we're buying are new dressers for our bedroom since ours are going to different rooms. I found what I want at Ikea - the Hemnes dresser - for a fraction of the cost of all that highly ornate stuff currently in the stores.  I prefer clean simple lines just like with my clothes.




The big task this past weekend was to thoroughly clean every box, basket, drawer, cupboard, and storage space in the studio. My creative direction has shifted significantly since moving to this house eight years ago and there were a lot of supplies that I hadn't even looked at and can't imagine using any time soon so I started purging and once I was on a roll the pile soon contained half my pattern stash, half my books, a HUGE box of fabric, magazines, yarn, notions, quilt tops, and art pieces. It was too much to just give away so I'm having a Sewing Room Sale on March 10th from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. If you live within driving distance and want to attend, I'd love to have you. Email me at myrna AT myrnagiesbrecht DOT com for directions.




And... I started some March packing. Above are the pieces for my new quilt. They're going to the longarm quilter on the 12th and there's a box of "stuff" started for my workshops in Port Townsend end of the month. One class has a kit so all I need is $10.00. The other two have lists and I already own almost everything on them. Perfect.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the delight of a thirty-seven year stash that keeps shifting along a never ending creative journey.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - When you believe that nothing significant can happen through you, you have said more about your belief in God than your belief in yourself. You have said that God is not capable of doing anything significant through you. The truth is, He is able to do anything he pleases with one ordinary person fully consecrated to Him. - Experiencing God, page 46

1 comment:

  1. Moving does have a way of making you look at and seriously re-evaluate the things that you've been holding onto. Since I just went through that process, I understand where you are now. However, I don't think I was as merciless as you're being! Because wow - have your pattern stash - that alone gives me the willies. The fabric I don't mind so much but the patterns...

    Anyway good luck with the sale!

    ReplyDelete