_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Experiment

It's a constant struggle to fit my hips because not only are they eleven inches bigger than my waist, they're high and wider across the back. When I read that someone sewed a straight size, especially if it was a small size, I can get a little jealous... on a bad day... but mostly I have things figured out. Every once in a while I experiment.




IMHO so far, Vogue 8699 does not have ample bicep room nor is it loose fitting although I did find it too broad across the back and will pin out the excess to determine how much to remove with the next muslin. With this first muslin, I cut a size fourteen through the shoulders, bust, and waist using the C-cup front and then...




... the experiment... added the extra hip width needed to the back only. That makes the front hip a size fourteen and the back hip a size twenty-two... which averages out to an eighteen... which is my hip size. In the past, I've used a sixteen front and a twenty back. I wanted to see how this distribution  worked out and my conclusion is pretty good but I want to experiment further before trying a different kind of pattern.




It was way too late last night to take pictures plus I cut out the tunic length to see how it looked thinking it could be a night shirt if I didn't like the length... and it can be... only a really short one. Howard said he didn't mind. I think - LOL - that it looks great on Millicent and may shorten it to a pj top for me. The fabric was quite expensive and very disappointing. Just the two pre-shrink-washes caused pilling I wouldn't want to wear in public. 




The t-shirt was cut from the remnants of the pj pants and this pile is left over left overs and I still can't bring myself to throw them away because they will make the perfect soft layer for a bag constructed from a firmer fabric like denim. I could so easily be over run by scraps. HOWEVER, when I cut out the next t-shirt, I'll lengthen the pattern to nightgown length and if it will still fit on the remnants that will mean fewer scraps. Hopefully.

This morning acupuncture, then a final visit to the townhouse to take a few measurements and sign the last two pieces of paper, and it's a done deal. I hope to report success tomorrow and show a few pictures of how amazing the view from my studio is going to be. And then we wait. We don't get occupency until the 24th of March.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - walking in the sunshine

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - If you are still dealing with a god consciousness that has remained unexamined since childhood, you are probably dealing with a toxic god. What would a non-toxic god think of your creative goals? Might such a god really exist? If so, would money or your job or your lover remain your higher power? - The Artist's Way, page 106

No comments:

Post a Comment