_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 20 February 2012

The Gift of Distraction

My friend Ruth was expecting her second grandchild and the plan was for her to come last Thursday, stay with us for a week, work from the Kamloops office, and be available this coming Thursday when her daughter was supposed to have her baby.

What really happened is that the bigger than expected snowfall prevented her from coming Thursday and by the time she got here on Friday, her daughter was already in labor so she stayed one night and has now gone to look after the family. Darn. I was so looking forward to a week together although she may be coming back and forth for a while and that's good. She brought me...




... a great big hug and this coffee mug. I drink a LOT of coffee. Ruth used to be my next door neighbor and I am sure we have drunk a literal ton of coffee together over the years. It's so wonderful to have friends who support and encourage you and that you know you can count on. Friendships like those are worth working on and celebrating.




Fabricland had an "ultimate" sale this past weekend. Everything was 50% off for members. I've been watching for a good deal on fabric for a new quilt for our bed. I want a whole cloth quilt as opposed to a patchwork one. This is backing fabric, 100% cotton, 108" wide, and the same price as regular quilt fabric only you need half as much.

Ten meters will be more than enough for the top and back of a quilt, pillow shams, a set of pillow cases, and any other details that occur to me and it's way less expensive than buying a less than lovely bed in a bag at the mall. Quilting a queen size quilt is too much bulk for my body to work with so I'll hire a long arm quilter to stitch it in an all over design possibly in a purple thread of the same value because...




... the color above is not true. It's more of a lime-ish olive similar to the green in this painting detail. As you can see, that color goes well with purple and fuchsia which means it will go well with...




... the bathroom accessories I purchased last week. YEAH. This will be only the fourth quilt for our bed in the thirty one years we've been together. One every ten years seems quite reasonable to me and I am SO DONE with patchwork. Most likely, I'll add purple, dark navy, and fuchsia accents and I'll need more fabric for throw cushions and a bed skirt only I plan to check my stash first. I won't have enough yardage for the skirt but I will have enough for accents.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- friendship

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - A few weeks ago, I alluded to a phone call that suddenly complicated life. It was the call with my biopsy results which are atypical. It was the call that started another what if journey of a completely different nature than the textile ones I prefer although one that I expect to have as positive a conclusion. Even so... suddenly your thoughts go from where will I live to will I live and while you can't dwell there, you visit briefly and that visit makes everything else more manageable in comparison.

Other than the crazy-maker day with the potential buy of the townhouse - when I had to choose to get off that person's rollercoaster - and of which I should know all the final details on Wednesday - I am very calm. Perhaps this was the knock on the head that God knew I needed to teach me to stop worrying about insignificant details and to focus on our relationship and to live in this moment with these people who are important to me. Life is about relationships. Everything else is peripheral. I just think His timing is once again too funny unless you call it the gift of distraction.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you've got to wait for potentially scary results. Praying they're good ones.

    Thank you for another good saying that I've saved as a reminder for me:
    "Life is about relationships. Everything else is peripheral."

    So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with your results. Hope they are all OK.

    ReplyDelete