_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 12 July 2012

A Lesson Learned And Re-learned

I'm disappointed in myself. Even though I know the benefits of asking what if and how can I and even though I set the criteria of using what I have in the studio, I gave up too quickly yesterday, rushed off to Fabricland, and ended up buying two strap options that - when all was said and done - weren't needed. Annoying. A lesson learned and re-learned.




Lyn's purse is done except for one end of the strap. I'll finish it when she comes to pick it up. That way it can be adjusted to the exact length she wants. I'm short waisted and she's long waisted. Guessing might not be a good idea.




Millicent is wearing Lyn's purse, the skirt started at the workshop, and a t-shirt from last year that I've never worn and want to evolve further. It makes me feel fat and frumpy, even on thin days. For all that Millicent and I have the same measurements and her back view is pretty similar to mine, she doesn't have my tummy so things look a lot sleeker on her than me. You'd think that'd be all the motivation needed for sit-ups. Apparently not!




If I placed all the scraps of the brown fabric end to end would there be enough to make a strap? It was an interesting question. The answer - yes. I cut to the width of the lowest common denominator - 1 3/4" - and ended up with...




... a substantial pile which sewn end to end with 1/4" seams made a strap...




... about two feet longer than needed. Go figure. For the front, I interfaced the brown fabric with Fusi-knit, zigzag stitched across each seam using a short, narrow stitch, and then steamed and hammered the seams for flatness.




For the back, I cut a piece of denim equal length and width, fused it with Pellon, and stitched three rows in a co-ordinating variegated gold thread. The front and back were sewn right sides together, turned, pressed, and edge stitched to make the complete strap. It took ALL DAY and it suits Lyn. She's frugal - LOL.




Even with all that cutting and piecing, look how much is left! It just goes to show that when you think you don't have any fabric, you still have tonnes of fabric. It's become a challenge to use this up so I plan to combine the fabric scraps above...




... with these leftover quilted pieces and turn them into something. Combined with the denim I used on the strap and the lace from my birthday dress, it could be an interesting something.

I've been wandering into the studio with coffee or my breakfast or lunch and I've spent two full days sewing without getting antsy in any way. Those two combined tell me that the studio is working even though the desk and the design wall aren't set up yet. Wendy was over to sew last night and it worked well with the two of us in the space. She preferred here to downstairs. All is good.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- the challenge of challenges

Question - the light in my new studio is really bright especially with the yellow walls. These pictures appear over exposed. What do you think? Thanks for letting me know.

6 comments:

  1. The light in your studio is bright -- good! Remember that it is high summer now. Don't rush to darken the walls until you've lived through a winter in the space. You may be very glad to have such a cheerful yellow glimmer, come next February and March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with LinB. I loved my yellow studio of many, many years ago, especially in the winter months.

    What a lovely purse. Its simplicity and frugality appeal to me also.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't take this wrong, Myrna, but I think it's hilarious that it took you several tries to find the right space for your studio! (I know. I wouldn't be chuckling if I had to do all the moving!) You are lucky to have so many options and an accommodating spouse. Looks like you've got it now since you've actually been inspired to produce great work in it. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your pictures are fine and your workmanship is even finer. Bags/purses are really your thing. Can't wait to see close ups of front, back and sides. I agree with Lori K - you just upcycled!!!!
    Also fantastic job getting your studio together so quickly. Isn't it wonderful 'knowing' what you want/need!!
    colesj

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure that Lyn will be pleased. The purse is classy. I know what you mean about buying stugg that you already have. I need to address that lesson myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a purse maker myself, I marvel at your tenacity. I also am impressed that it has nice flat seams. Many I see look rather puffy and while I think that is fine for some looks, not so much for professional finish. Anyway, I don't think your photo's look over exposed at all. They are clean and clear. Love it!

    ReplyDelete