_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 19 July 2012

Every Click Of The Clock

Last night was one of those every click of the clock nights. It's probably something I ate... or drank... but who knows what. Not me. It was hard work just to sleep til six. Since I'm driving today, I decided to not get up at four, stay in bed, and get whatever sleep I could get. Naturally, I was asleep when the alarm went off - LOL.




Sharon came over to sew a new bra yesterday. While we were having lunch, the doorbell rang and four Danglez bra patterns were delivered from Europe. Great timing. One was for her as part of her birthday present. The one missing from the picture. DB4. I had a bit of trouble with the order and unfortunately we got the Dutch versions... with no pictures... and that does make it difficult to learn their secrets. With Howard's last name, they might have assumed I could actually read Dutch. I can't. Hopefully the English versions can be sent my way too.




I worked on the Marcy Tilton V8712 pants. The facings are cut out single layer. I cut them out upside down. There's a fly front. I put the zipper in twice and took it out twice. The first time, it was 5/8" too high even though I'd read the instructions. Apparently, I decided to ignore them. The second time...




... it was because I was wearing a skirt with a faced front and an elastic back and I was thinking about Marcy's V8499 skirt which I love, have two versions of, and wear often and decided I'd rather have the zipper at the back.




It's this pattern. I haven't made the pants yet but want to try them sometime soon.




When I went to bed last night, the front had two darts and a smooth faced edge and all that was left to do was the center back and the crotch seam. I pinned center back and could step in and out of the pants so I'll decide today if I'm going to put the zipper in or not. If yesterday's sewing had gone smoother, they'd have been done. On well. There's no rush. Hopefully tonight.

The pattern reviews talked a lot about sizing, about Vogue's sizing being way off, and about Marcy's sizing being quite big. Because of that, I left off the top stitching. The fabric is so busy that it would have been barely visible anyway and without it, I could alter the seams as necessary. It doesn't look like it'll be necessary. I chose my size based on the finished garment measurements and remain convinced that a lot of people are not measuring correctly or they're not consulting the finished measurements to determine how much ease they want in their garment because I don't find the sizing way off on the big four but maybe it's just me.

Yesterday's date was my fault Carrie. I inadvertently published with Tuesday's date instead of Wednesdays which mean that Blogger thought I had two Tuesday postings. That might also account for the low readership yesterday. I had wondered if there was something spam-ish about the title. I changed the dates.

Today is gorgeous. Blue sky. Bright sunshine. I'm looking forward to the drive. I'm meandering but only between here and the gallery. I am NOT going in to the Fabricland. I am NOT buying any fabric. From anyone. I wanted some of Marcy's t-shirt fabric and even went as far as writing her with some questions and then it occurred to me that I have black t-shirt fabric in my stash, quite a bit of it, and I should sew that first to a) save money for my trip next year and b) sew down the stash so I can shop for more fabric next year and c) avoid buying some yummy delicious fabric that I'll want more of which will make everything in my stash seem yucky and unsewable. Sounds like good reasoning to me.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that I've become so comfortable putting zippers in that the thought of taking them out and putting them in again and moving them to a new location is completely doable. I used to pay someone to put zippers in for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment