_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Room With A View

When Howard got home from work last night, he offered me a light or a computer. Since I can work with the laptop for now, I took the light. It's amazing what a difference good lighting can make - the difference between I can and I can't sew once the late afternoon light hits. The young man at the light store noted that the bulbs I was getting were really white and wondered what I wanted them for. When I said a studio, he nodded of course.




Light is important in more way than one. The move upstairs was all about having some. This is the first time ever that I have a studio on the main floor at the front of the house where people can see me. Of course, it's in a townhouse that's only ten feet from the road.




We're on the road at right of the entrance. At the end are the garbage receptacles and straight across is one of the access roads further up the hill. Everyone comes by here at some point. It's a bit disconcerting right now and I imagine I'll adjust especially as I have felt isolated for a long time. Who knows what playmates I'll meet this way!




I spent several hours working in the studio yesterday. Because I've had a work counter before that flow came back to me quite easily. This one is longer with more storage above and below. That's a lovely bonus.

The lining for Lyn's purse is a turquoise dupioni silk. There was only enough for the lining pieces and one pocket. I doubled the fabric for the pocket and stitched it every 1/4" with brown thread and used a brown zipper to match the front. My machine refused to sew through the zipper and I picked it out several times. The thread would sew nicely on the silk and then all scraggly on the zipper. In the end, I changed the needle, rethreaded, cleaned out the fluff, turned the machine off and on again, and that did the trick. Who knows why. I just care that it worked.




The front and back are together and the lining is inserted. This morning I have acupuncture and then a friend is taking me out for a late birthday celebration. After that, I plan to sew. So far, I have vague ideas for finishing the top and adding the straps. As I was sewing yesterday and making decisions based on my goal + supplies at hand + what was happening with the project, I realized that this is my favourite kind of sewing, the kind where I don't know all the answers. What a change that is from the younger me.

sewforward wrote: My own potential has always pulled and pushed me in different directions...

Thank you for sharing that. I know exactly what you mean. At times, all the possibilities in front of me are amazing and at other times they're overwhelming and frustrating especially when I can't seem to get where I thought I was going. A huge part of my journey has been learning to be open and to wait.

Corinne wrote: If I tune in next week and the kitchen has been turned into studio space, I think an intervention may be required (((smile)))) I am also in flux in the studio. I can't work until it is right.

No intervention necessary. It feels like this is going to work. Your comment made me laugh cause you know I definitely don't need a kitchen as much as I need a studio. I get a lot of you're crazy looks when I say this space doesn't feel right. It's always nice to meet someone who gets it. Good luck bringing your space together.

Claire R wrote: I started reading your blog b/c I was green with envy that you got to go to DOL AND was so happy that you were reporting it all so well. Then I read backwards. And I must say I appreciate so much your honest journey!
Thanks for letting me know. I have worked really hard at writing the blog just for me but there's always a level at which you want to know that the effort you're putting into it is supporting and encouraging someone else. That's part of my purpose and entwined with that seems to be the fact that I'm a share easily person. I've had to learn to weigh and measure how much and what I share over the years but even so I think it's a good way of being - for me - since I can't seem to be any different.

Carolyn wrote: ... So I can understand how your collection can easily tip into overwhelming! I'm sure that you will work this out!
Everyone's answer to studio organization is different and it takes an awareness of your inner self to work it out so not everyone is that aware or willing to do the work but I've found it makes me much calmer and far more creative. My first awareness was in my twenties when I realized that endless unfinished projects made me feel like a failure. My second awareness occurred shortly after and was about how much stuff I had. I realized that supplies couldn't overflow onto the floor or be stuffed on shelves or I ignored it, bought more, and the growing mess grated on me. Instead, having things organized, visible, and available worked for me. And then I realized that visible meant I could see what I had if I wanted to but I didn't want to all the time. I need closed storage. I'm not sure at what point I started setting space limits on myself but I know it was to curb over buying. I've since discovered that leaving some empty space is essential too. There has to be somewhere for flow to go so I remain open to potential without being overwhelmed by it. Not sure if that makes sense but I know it works for me.

Talk soon - Myrna
G
rateful - natural and full spectrum light

3 comments:

  1. I keep thinking of you this week, as I've been gutting my sewing space, dragging out everything throughout the rest of the house to make space for real organization...then getting within inches of having it done only to have repair people Finally show up and drag everything from the kitchen into my sewing room! Ah, well this too shall pass, and hopefully we'll both be delighted with our new spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very insightful.
    1. I have a list of UFO's, and yes they do make me feel like a failure...3 of them in particular.
    2. I am very organized, so that's not a problem, but I've used up all of my storage space. It never occured to me that having "empty space is essential". Of course it would be!!!
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts make perfect sense especially since I need to leave some space...something that I'd thought of but I don't think I left enough of in my present space. I'm glad the new space is working out for you though...that's the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete