_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Chairs In Waiting

Apparently yesterday's appointment is actually next Tuesday - which I discovered after waiting 45 minutes for the workmen to show up to replace the garage door before finally phoning. And then they called me Linda. When they phoned to book - last Thursday - they said on Tuesday. Hmm...

Doors and windows are the strata's responsibility as in repairing and replacing them. So far, we've made four strata payments that total less than a thousand dollars and we have had our living room window replaced, two doors and one window repaired, half of the cost of the upcoming roof replacement, and now the new garage door and there are more windows to be replaced. We will catch up eventually but right now, this is definitely in our favour. I can wait another week.




3" high is definitely not 30" high but I walked around my simulated island all day yesterday to adjust to having something in that space. It should work out fine. The boxes show the maximum length and width. We have room to adjust both by several inches.




Chairs in waiting. If they weren't inanimate and could be happy, I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to be out of storage and into the daylight. 




Sewing happened in spurts yesterday in-between other things. And stuff still got finished. This is good. When I took the original bag apart, I cut off the ends of the side - just in case - and yesterday I picked even that little bit apart to make tabs for the handles of purse four.




The flap on the third purse is made from left over bits of the side and the binding. I had to un-layer the side but luckily it was only channel quilted and that was relatively easy. The flap is seamed in the picture above. The fused bits and beading help to blend the lines.




I have used every little piece of the original except for two layered bits, two short and narrow strips of lining, and the two original tabs. See what I mean by almost absolute zero waste? Upcycling wasn't even a word in my vocabulary up until the fall of 2004 when The Year of Play happened. Limiting myself to what was in the studio extended to limiting myself to what was in the house and that stretched my ability to problem solve and once a muscle is exercised - and if you keep on exercising it - things just get better and better. It's worth trying.




Part of the original bag was sewn in Victoria, BC while I was there teaching. I stayed in a bed & breakfast and the gentleman who owned it loved woodwork and made the handle from a piece of driftwood. In the picture above, I touched up the paint as well as patted the edges of the sides of the fourth bag with purple paint because there was no fabric in stash that matched and the paint did and with a zigzag stitch over top, it'll finish the edges just wonderful.




I sewed the button on the flap on the second purse in the morning and sold it in the afternoon. Not bad! With that sale, I'm a quarter of the way to paying for next year's workshop. Oh wait, I've also paid the deposit so I'm 40% of the way - YES YES! I'm practicing saying no to say yes which translates to saying no more often to small things. It's good for me. I'm also squirreling away spending money.

Goals like planning to attend the workshop when I don't have the money are highly motivating and tend to promote positive changes in other areas of my life like the Year of Play did. One of the things I'm saying no to more often is eating out which means I'm cooking more which means we're eating healthier. Hopefully that lasts. My take on cooking more than before is it's like having a job I don't like and oh well, suck it up princess cause lots of people have jobs they don't like and if you'd prefer to be in the studio instead of out at a job and you want to go to the workshop - COOK!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - another sale

No comments:

Post a Comment