_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 20 July 2012

Gasp & Grasp

When I pulled the purses out of my bag and up on to the table, she gasped and then reached with that grasping let me see now movement. A lovely reaction. This gallery is one of my favourites and I have a huge level of respect for the woman who owns it - Carolina. She knows what she's doing and when she likes my work, I know I'm on the right track.




I took a selection of pieces that I've made over the past five years and explained how I'm improving, what changes I've made, and showed her the kinds of supplies I'm using. She said my early work was fabulous and the current work was just getting more interesting. She thanked me for thinking of her! My ego had a great day.

We also talked about my plan. I'm only willing to work so many hours at making purses and I want to be careful to balance those hours with other interests. I'm extremely aware of getting caught up in workaholicism again especially as there's no guarantee that any of the purses will sell and because to start with they'll be priced much lower than what they're worth. We'll see what happens. If they are loved greatly, the price will go up and if they are not loved enough, I'll sew something else. Right now, I have two shows to get ready for this fall and I intend to start as I mean to go on so what's ready on time is what's ready. Carolina agreed.




The V8712 pants are finished except for perfecting the crotch curve. I need someone to take a picture of my behind - LOL. Sharon is coming over to sew again today so I'll get her help. In the meantime, I had a pile of faded black t-shirts that I wanted to do something with so yesterday afternoon, I took them...




... out on the driveway, cut them up into pieces, spritzed them with a watered bleach solution, immersed them in water, then in soapy water, then in a rinse bucket, and then washed and dried them.





These are the sleeves. I got a few looks from people driving by. I'm quite sure my neighbourhood is not used to someone like me. If they were, that would be a change because usually I'm unusual... which is just fine with me.




One of the shirts was slow to discharge and turned a tan color. The others all discharged to this pretty raspberry. The spray bottle had a fine mist so it's more a raspberry glow with some splotching. I wish there were more splotches and I may assist a few into being... or not. I might also do some screen printing as I bought two from Marcy that I'd like to try. Discharging and screen printing are new to me. I'm debating which direction I'm going in and whether I should sew first and then print or print first and then sew. It'll end up some sort of tunic or dress although as I type that I'm thinking it could also be a skirt. Hmmm...

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that after three days, I'm missing my family and that's way better than the opposite!

1 comment:

  1. Glad your preview went so well. I have noticed that specialty shops and small galleries are featuring more items like yours. One shop owner told me last week that they sell "like hotcakes!" And this was an antique/gift shop. What he was selling (made by an artist on consignment) were simple bags, simple 8 x 10 bags, no flaps or fancy closures. Braided handles from the same fabric and a doo-dad flower in the top corner. Here is the fun part, they were made from rag rugs, some dyed or over dyed but there were lovely. The inside seams were finished with contrast bias bindings. No lining. Price, $70 to 100, US. Yours are so much more designed and involve much artistic interpretation (remembering the hand bags:)) I am hoping you get the $ you deserve, best of luck

    ReplyDelete