_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 6 August 2012

Denim And Lace

On Friday, I woke up grumpy and it's taking a while to go away. Grumpy is not the best state for experimenting so I put the skirt aside and started on the next batch of purses beginning with...




... a denim and lace purse. This shade of blue is one of my favourites colors as is...




... the fuchsia dupioni silk I used for the lining. The denim is a remnant from The Handbag Project last fall, the lace is a remnant from my birthday dress in June, and the dupioni is a remnant from a top made last year - I believe - I can't quite remember when I made it but I do I love the feeling of more zero waste. That's good for the grumpies.




The lining has one pocket with a button closure. It was made with polymer clay by my friend Carolyn of 2GoodClaymates.  I have three more. They're even prettier in person.




The main body of the purse and the lining are ready to be put together and the purse frame glued on. Once that's dry, I'll add the braided handle - the one I braided twice - because the first one wasn't long enough - which absolutely is not good for the grumpies - HOWEVER... the braid is gorgeous and turned out so well that I'll stock up on more of the flat trim next time it's on sale.




It's been eight months since the cancer scare started which is enough time to be over the thought that I might have died and wouldn't have left anything for my nonexistent grandchildren. That thought had me starting on three sets of welcome baby gifts only the first afghan was boring me to tears. I couldn't see how I was going to make it through three. It's back in balls. I've decided that I'd rather wait to make something specific when there's occasion and even then I'd prefer to sew something. Sewing is far more me than knitting. Now that this yawn yawn project is back in balls, perhaps I'll feel like knitting something else. It was quite cathartic to roll it back up - LOL - and as much as I love sewing I can't do it all the time so it's good to be able to switch to knitting once in a while. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that grumpiness does eventually pass

4 comments:

  1. I, too, used to make "future possible baby" projects to stash away. This was before I was treated for infertility -- at some point in that frightening process, I actually heard the words "Well, if I can't use it for a child of my own, I'll save it for my grandchildren" come out of my mouth. Laughed myself to tears, then gave away all the baby items. When God graced me with a full-term pregnancy, I made specific projects for that specific baby. Much the better plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed how you used one of those little square buttons I made. It looks perfect on that gorgeous bag! Your purses are really looking beautiful which I am not surprised to see at all!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete