_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Pulling A Palette

When I was writing quilting books and developing patterns, I had to work in all colors because quite often people want to buy the exact color - if not the exact fabric - shown in the sample and won't buy a book or attend a course if the colors of the sample aren't ones they like. That often meant sewing two samples. It was good experience working with colors that were not my favourite - like brown - and with mixing colors from opposite sides of the color wheel. Quite often the color needed to add a little punch to the plan is over there, in the section you're not too fond of.




My friend Wendy has decided to assist with the zero waste plan by gifting me with her scraps. Along with a bunch of assorted squares from her current green and brown quilt, she left me two bias cut strips and eight straight cut strips of a batik that were perfect to go with the puzzled brown bits. I pieced some of the strips to form the lining.




You'd think that pulling a palette might be difficult if the starting color is one you don't use too often. Apparently not. I have no idea when I bought the brown cording or even what for. It could simply have been on sale. The trim was in a package of bits and pieces my friend Caroline gave me for Christmas one year. The DMC cotton has been around forever. Orange beads? Hmm... why did I buy those... and when...? Who knows but they were in stash and were just right.

Finds like these are one of the reasons I like to go through my stash several times a year and why I appreciate having it organized. If I had to work too hard to find what I needed, I'd just head off to the store. As it was, I really wanted some square, frosted orange beads like the ones I used to have and I knew they had them at the bead store however... glancing at the price on these orange beads changed my mind. $7.50 - in an unusual color - bought who knows when - bought for who knows what - never used. It was time. No need to spend more money.




This button was bought from a shop in Kelowna that no longer exists. I wish. It was a fabulous place. Besides all the carefully arranged drawers of individually sold buttons, you could pick and choose a scoop of buttons from a treasure chest for $5.00. Some of the buttons in the chest were the same as the ones in the drawer only far less expensive when scooped.




The denim and lace purse is finished except for the ends of the straps. I put a few heavy things inside and hung it overnight to see if the cord stretched and to test the strength of the glue - to be completely confident that it holds. I'll finish it when making the strap for the brown purse.

The denim and fuchsia purse is made in two of my three favourite colors. The brown purse started with one of my least favourite colors and is going in fun directions. Pulling in the brighter pink, yellow, and orange - IMHO - added life to the fabric. The brown scraps were available because I'd made a specific purse for a specific friend by choice. Brown is not commonly found in my studio.

One thing I've decided with making these purses to sell is that I'm willing to follow up a direction like the leading of this brown if it tickles but I'm not willing to force myself to create purses in colors I don't like just because they might sell. I did that with quilting. I did that with wall art. I'm not willing to do that now especially as there is no guarantee of sales. The only guarantee there is in this process is that I get to create in the studio. I'd prefer to create things that stimulate.

I'd planned to clean house this morning only my son wants me to go to an appointment with him so I'll do that and most likely come back to sew and clean tomorrow. I prefer to clean in the morning on a day when no one is home. It's much easier.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - life experiences that help with decision making

No comments:

Post a Comment