_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 28 August 2012

The Black T-Shirt Project

To follow up on a comment Elle made yesterday - this makes me think that pondering "what is success" would be at least as interesting as pondering "what is creativity"? - my answer is yes. I've been around and around on that topic as well. It's interesting in an annoying way that money is involved in both equations. Because in the end, no matter how successful we are in different avenues of our life, we do need to pay the rent, clothe our bodies, and eat. Somehow. Someway.

Obviously Malcolm Gladwell didn't tell the entire story of Chris Langan in his book. He's making a specific point and supporting it with gathered evidence. He describes Chris as married in a loving relationship, working with animals and a garden on a ranch he owns, and writing daily on a labour intensive project that most likely no one else will ever see and will never be published. I had a lot of questions about how is he managing to do that because a man as intelligent as Malcolm's describing knows he's walking out of sync with the rest of the world. That's an incredibly difficult place to always be. That Chris found a way of moving through the world that gives him joy and peace, and that he can work on a project without going crazy wondering what the point is, is to me success.




Slubby V Neck T - $38.00 - Yesterday, I started a discussion on a chat group about how do we combine creativity with wearability with challenge. I've been buying every year's collection of black t-shirts for years. Typically, they come from Costco and are purchased for $9.99. Up until this year, they were of good quality, the color lasted, they held their shape, and were darn near perfect except that they weren't petite sized so there was extra fabric through the armhole and every single one had the same look.





Button Pouch T - $78.00 - It occurred to me that if I'm making a collection of black t-shirts, they don't need to look exactly the same and the differences can be significantly more than neckline shape and sleeve length. The pictures in this posting are from Anthropologie.com. I did some research. An off topic thought but isn't it interesting that their prices are getting more reasonable?





Draped Peplum V Neck - $58.00 - On Friday, in my posting Answering The Questions, I talked about the things that support and the things that don't support my creativity. I doubt I'll sew a dozen black t-shirts but I'll most likely make a half dozen and perhaps I'd be inspired to make more if there was a challenge involved in stitching and drafting them. I could evolve my T & T from basic shapes to more complex ones. I could Frankenpattern. I could drape. I could paint and stencil and stitch. I could embellish. I could.... 





Pin Tucked Button Down Top - 78.00 - There's an endless list of things I could do to create a t-shirt but the big question for me is where's the line between keeping a sewing project interesting and challenging and sewing a project that's over the top and unwearable? The answer depends on where you live and on your personality. I live in a town where women wear jeans to the Christmas party. I'm the type of woman who sews a new outfit for the Christmas party and buys new jewelry and new shoes and gets her hair done and... and... and...




Side Scrunched Top - $68.00 - One of the things that really inspired me at the Design Outside The Lines workshop this past June was how Marcy combined stripes and dots and other prints only that's not me. I can do it in textile art pieces. I can do it in my purses. I can even do it in my clothing but in the end those will be clothes I don't wear. I need clothes to wear. Combining texture as in this Side Scrunched top is one way to accomplish that goal as is....




Asymmetric Pleats Tank - 78.00 - ... creating texture with pleats and pintucks and other details. Knowing me, I could probably get so labour intensively involved in the black t-shirt project that I didn't finish the half dozen before winter was over - LOL.

Many of the ingredients needed to challenge me are here. I know what the point is. I know what the goal is. The t-shirt form is a blank canvas to work within. It's defined enough to give direction and open enough to add challenge. From here, I could make a list of techniques to incorporate and of shapes to explore and then I could specifically or even randomly mix those lists to put together t-shirts that are challenging to draft, creative to sew, and completely wearable. And then to actually wear them, I'll need to push myself because anything other than basic is over the top here but then again if that's all you have to wear, there's a good chance you're not going to run around n-k-d!

Thoughts?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a quiet day to myself

P.S. - I was disappointed that no one posted a link to their own answers to the questions. Hopefully some will still. I think it's encouraging and inspiring to all of us to learn about how others live out their creativity and maybe it's just me but I don't think so.

5 comments:

  1. ok, Myrna, I'll jump in... I'm not going to answer the questions that Shams posed, but will share with you (and the rest of us who read you faithfully every single day!) the kinds of thoughts your recent posts (as well as the interviews with Mrcy and Diane) have brought to my mind.

    I've been thinking a lot lately of ways to make my sewing more creative and rewarding. Truth is, I really don't need any more clothes... none! My retired life, with just two work days a week, has found me with a couple closets full of lovely things that I continue to wear... BUT since I love sewing so much, I continue to do so.

    What I've come up with so far is to sew itmes that work with my current wardrobe, but which are slightly more "artsy" without looking like something destined for the old Fairfield Art To Wear contest... wonderful, wonderful stuff, but not for everyday life! I'm trying new patterns, working more with solids that I can embellish in a subtle way and purging and purging and purging!

    Your posts keep me thinking, Myra! ...and that's a very good thing. I, too, am a huge fan of Malcolm Gladwell... I listen to recorded books every single day and he is the narrator for the ones he writes. I like listening to books that the author reads, since inflection adds a lot to my experience... I find it reassuring to hear where they put the emphasis on statements and believe I glean a better understanding of their subject matter.

    So, thanks again, Myra, for your wonderful blog. ...and I'll try to do better about commenting.

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not creative but I love to sew. I sew to make the style of things I either cannot find in the local shops or cannot afford. I want things that are stylish but not fashionable, flattering things that do not make me look like mutton trying to be lamb. If they are out of sync with local fashion tastes, I have enough confidence to say "So what". I dress to please me. So dress up for Christmas if you want, dare to be you. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. The people in my world don't think about creativity as an ongoing dialogue as you seem to. I know I don't think about it. I sew. I sew to make nice clothes to wear that fit better than RTW does.

    I don't give really any thought to whether or not I am creative. I really don't care. I would not want to give up sewing, but I don't invest as much of myself in the process as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great project idea and similar to my fall goal to sew more interesting and personal casual wear. When I first started sewing I wanted to make all the things I saw pretty pictures of but couldn't justify wearing in real life: nice suitings, silks, etc. But now I'm coming to feel that making things that are wearable and fit my lifestyle is part of the fun and challenge.

    One thing I realized when I laid out all my favorite homemade garments this spring is that what I really needed were more casual bottoms: skirts and pants in humble, washable fabrics. The trouble was that I always found those things boring to sew. But I feel like I made great progress this summer when I made a simple olive twill A-line skirt with oversized patch pockets. The design was very simple but I added orange topstitching and a contrast pocket and waistband lining. Those little touches made it feel very "me" and its now one of my favorite garments to wear. The contrast lining idea really worked for me and I sewed up another pair of pants that had been sitting around cut out for over a year. It turned out I just wasn't excited about the lining fabric I had chosen and as soon as I picked out a different fabric I was off. Now I'm working on two more pairs!

    The other theme that's really worked for me for casuals is knit prints. I feel like a great print can take a simple outfit of t-shirt and jeans and make it feel personal and special. I've also made a couple of knit print dresses that I love. I'm not crazy about wearing bright colors but I find that some prints work for me either because they are already in dull colors (just lots of them) or because the different colors side by side make a duller color from a distance.

    One other thing I noticed about keeping things wearable is that my favorite designs to wear usually have one or at most two details. A draped neck or different hemline, one interesting seaming detail or an unusual pocket. One or two details make it interesting, more make it costumey— for me anyway.

    I have been thinking a lot about your questions and answers. I think that what motivates me might be called "creating within constraints" where the constraints might be some kind of realism (for paintings) or wearability (for sewing) or reproducibility and truth (for science). I always loved the idea of sonnets or sonatas where the structured form gave the artist a kind of freedom to explore new variations. The trick is finding constraints that enable. I find myself unmotivated when I feel like there are constraints on my work that don't make sense or when there are too many possibilities to choose from.

    Anyway I think the idea of taking a garment you know you wear a lot (black t-shirts) and exploring variations sounds like a great idea and goal. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am still contemplating my answers, lol. Must need to drink more water to lubricate my aging brain cells ... I feel certain that you can summon up enough moxie to wear anything, even clothing you are unsure about, out in public, at least once. I have grown inured to children's innocent-but-honest comments about my clothing ("Aren't you too old to wear a shirt with elephants and kitty cats on it?" "And, what exactly are you supposed to be?"). Adults who don't like what I wear can kiss my rosy red rhinoceros. And, it's far better to be the slightly overdressed person in a crowd than the wildly underdressed person. But you already know that.

    ReplyDelete