_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 23 August 2012

The Paisley Refashion

The Vogue 8691 pieces have been altered and are ready for testing again. The changes to the front were were minimal.  I took 1/4" off at center front and left the same amount to the side seam, shaped the armhole, and added the flare of progressive sizes like I wished I'd done originally. In the back, I added an inch to the width from the underarm to the hem along the princess seam (2" in total) as well as the progressive flare and shaped the armhole to match my T & T. The angle of the front shoulder seam matched mine and the back was shaved ever so slightly.  I didn't alter the sleeve. I'll use the 3/4 version from my T & T since it fits well... but first...




... this has been my favourite t-shirt for a long time. The fabric is 96% rayon and 4% spandex. I've literally worn it out. The underarms were discolored and see through thin. The last time I washed it, it went straight from the laundry room to the sewing room for fear that if it went back in the closet I would wear it again. And then...




... I cut apart all the pieces. Perhaps the fabric is even too old and too worn for something new but I couldn't bear to simply throw it away. I'm a sucker for all things paisley.




As an example of what I was talking about yesterday, do you see how high and rounded the sleeve cap is? A higher sleeve cap and a sleeve seam that sits on the shoulder is the most flattering to my figure. This cap measures 5 1/2" and my T & T measures 4 3/4". The difference may be that this is purchased and regular not petite sizing but that difference is something to consider. Do I need a bit more height on my T & T sleeve cap?




I cut out a pair of panties from the front and back pieces and a Kwik Sew 3300 bra from the two sleeves. The bra pattern is designed for woven fabrics. I'm testing it with a woven lining and a knit upper layer to see how that works. If it does, it means that the lining factor can be the constant and the upper layer the variable and I'll have LOTS of options.

- - - - - - - - - - -



Edited 10: 30 AM to add...

Jodie asked: I just have a question about Kwik Sew 3300 - I thought it was for knit fabrics only?

You're right - or not. I have no idea what I saw the first time I checked the suggested fabrics but I sewed mine above from a stable lace and woven fabric and it fits like a dream even though the pattern does indeed ask for nylon tricot. Guess I've already tested the woven theory then. It works!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Today is my oldest son's 23rd birthday. I'm baking cupcakes to take to his office and making the requested corn chowder and mocha mousse for dinner. In-between, I can hopefully finish up this bra and panty project and start on the t-shirt. If not, tomorrow.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - we've found what appears to be a water leak in the front yard which the strata will now look at and take care of. Thankfully the problem was discovered before winter. Frozen water is even messier.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Myrna;
    I like your t-shirt explorations. I live in a knit top and dress/work pants for much of my work life (and then a t-shirt and jeans for off hours)..and I'm petite as well so I appreciate all your efforts. I like following along with your thought process.
    I just have a question about Kwik Sew 3300 - I thought it was for knit fabrics only? I only know that because I'm planning on going and buying it (the pattern) today. There's a bra course/class being offered in Edmonton - but the timing and the cost don't work for me right now. I've sewn a couple bras before - it's the fitting I have trouble with. My Elan pattern is giving me trouble, so I thought I'd try a Kwik Sew pattern to see if it fits better. Do you mean a different Kwik Sew pattern maybe? Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that wonderful that you can keep your favourite tshirt through panties and a bra?

    Jodie, I have made two Elan bras (645 and the front closing one, 610 maybe?) and KS3300. The KS cup is just not for my body, I much prefer the Elan cups. KS3300 is a perfect fit for my MIL so maybe you'll find success with it too. It's a much different shape than Elan. Bras sure do take some patience to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Myrna and Seraphinalina:
    I'm just breaking for lunch and checking in to see the comments. You ladies are awesome - thanks so much for the update (Myrna) and the comment (Seraphinalina). I made the Elan 645 twice and the fit doesn't quite work. Since I have all the fabric and findings, I thought I'd try KS 3300. Also - I'm a high school Foods/Fashion Studies teacher, and I have read that the pattern instructions on the Kwik Sew bra patterns is good - I may offer this as a project for my students if they wish.
    Thanks so much Ladies!

    ReplyDelete