_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 10 August 2012

If I Had A Million Dollars...

The house is shiny clean and most of the to do list is done. I have a few errands today including to pick up some groceries and then we'll be ready for the weekend. Both Howard and Kyle are working tomorrow so once again, it'll be quiet. Hopefully this time I will feel like sewing and make progress on another purse. The red one should be finished by the end of today. It's coming along nicely




There was just enough of this black and red fabric in stash for the lining, edging trim, and flap. Barely. For the inside of the zipper pocket, I used a black remnant and for the...




... small, open pocket, I did some eccentric piecing on the front to get enough of the red and wrapped the black over the top and to the inside.




I haven't been using zippers on most of these purses because my stash is quite depleted from The Handbag Project last fall. What's left is mostly unusual colors, invisible zippers, separating coat type zippers, and a few black ones - one of which was just perfect for this project.

Although I didn't have a red zipper, I did - surprisingly - have a lot of red thread. Today I'll be working on the flap. It needs punch. Hopefully I have some red beads or trim or something that'll work.

Thank you for the compliments on the purses yesterday. They are much appreciated. It's always nice to receive feedback and to not be blogging alone. That's been the downside to studio work - the aloneness. Having decided not to look for outside employment, I am once again thinking through, coming to terms with, trying to figure out how to handle, the fact that I'm home alone so much. I wish Kamloops was a lot closer to some of the things I read about and to bloggers I'd love to sit down and have coffee and a good chat with. I checked out how much it would cost to fly to San Francisco for the blogger meet-up at Canada College a week Monday - $975.00. That is so NOT going to happen but what fun it would have been. If I had a million dollars...

It's interesting in an abstract way - and not so much fun in a real way - how life's questions always swirl and return, swirl and return. I wonder, do we ever get to the end of a lesson or do we always relearn it in a new form?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - coffee

4 comments:

  1. Hi Myrna - looks like another terrific bag in the works. I love red and am looking forward to what you do with it. I'm still into pockets with zippers in most of my bags as I always seem to have lots of "stuff" to haul about.
    Didn't get to my house cleaning yesterday, not enough sleep/energy. We'll see what today brings.
    I too envy the blogger "meet ups". Although not a blogger, but an avid reader/follower. There's so many fun things south of the border. However there's some bloggers in Alberta, and must be some in BC as well. Maybe something will come up one day.
    Take care enjoy your day,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too notice that beling home alone is both liberating and lonely, creative and hum drum. Looks like your bags are fulfilling the creative part of life and at least reading and commenting on blogs is both of our ways to keep connected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna,
    I look forward to reading your blog--am really enjoying your process and beautiful creations. On the swirling: it seems a spiral to me, as if we keep circling around to the same lessons, but at a different level and perspective. Elle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna: Now retired, I find it's hard to get motivated because I'm alone all day. It's creative artists like you who spark my passion to get upstairs and start grabbing fabric, beads and toys.

    A suggestion on braided straps--you can cover the ends with a small fabric band (like a cuff)that's stitched to hold it in place over the ends. See if this idea works for your design.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete