_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 26 October 2012

A Wadder Into A Winner

The long hours didn't bother him in the slightest. "I can outwork any individual twenty years younger than I am," he boasts, and the reason is intellectual curiosity. "If you really enjoy your work, you can work sixty to eighty hours a week and enjoy every moment. If you don't enjoy it, you'll force yourself to work forty hours and you won't be happy." - Dr. Addison Lawrence at age 76 - from The Power of Why, Chapter Four, by Amanda Lang

There are periods of time in which I don't feel like sewing but they're rare and short. A couple days. Maybe. Although how and what I sew has evolved over the past thirty-eight years, the desire to sew has remained constant. It's (one of) my form(s) of intellectual curiosity. I love to design art pieces and to figure out how garments go together, how to technically and creatively improve them, and how to evolve what doesn't work into something that does - a wadder into a winner.




Knitting comes second. I like its portability, the textures and colors of the yarn, and the patterns that can be created by pulling loops through loops. I'd probably do a lot more knitting and even design my own knitwear if it was faster. However, since I'm not interested in knitting machines and stitch by stitch is slower work, for me, knitting is contemplative. Time to think.




With the roofers pounding away above and their ladders just in front of my studio window and them moving up and down and all over the front yard, my studio is not a comfortable space at the moment. It feels way too exposed and the noise and busyness is not at all conducive to any kind of productivity especially refashioning. I've been hiding out in the living room. Yesterday, I knit the second sleeve and the left front.




It's the front without the buttonholes. I prefer to knit that side first and then count rows and plan buttonhole spacing based on what I know to be true. Many knitters knit both sleeves and both fronts at the same time. I could but - since I knit for relaxation and contemplation - what's the rush. This approach is more accurate. As it is, I'll finish this sweater in three days and that's an expensive pace if you're knitting the good stuff.

Kris - thanks for the suggestion around not using a ribbed cuff. That would be gorgeous. This is a child size sweater - about a size two - and not for me. The cuffs will be good for keeping the sleeves down and for additional warmth. I have another yarn combination that is definitely intended for me and would create a similar look. I'll keep this in mind.




After the conclusion of the tucks and wrinkles piece, I started on a grey t-shirt. It seemed an easy sew until I put the neck binding on wrong side out and then stretched out the armhole even though I'd worked hard to get the differential feed on the serger adjusted correctly. I've decided to re-frame this series of stuff that's happening because enough is enough. It's been going on for months now and it's wearing SO... I choose to believe that the reason for so much resistance is because I'm on the verge of something amazing. YEAH!

Moving forward - I cut off the neckline binding and resewed it and then picked out the serger stitching, steamed the armhole back into shape, and pinned the sleeve back in. I'll stitch it with a regular machine. I've been doing a lot of that with my knits lately. After a snap test to get the stitch length and width correct, it seems to produce better results although I still use the serger to finish the hems and sew on the neck binding. Its neat along the hem and provides a firm, even edge to wrap the binding around. I like both of those.

It's interesting that years ago I bought a serger specifically for knits but now mostly prefer to use it for wovens. Marcy Tilton said something similar in the workshop.

Many of the thoughts in Amanda's book - The Power of Why - are about correlations between corporate and personal life. The goals have similarities and yet in general people give little thought to how they live their lives. It's important to know where you're going because if you don't know, you're not likely to get there. I've realized that at this stage in life one of the most critical elements for me is the ability - within reason and as much as possible - to schedule my own time. That's an important observation, one that colors every decision. It'll be interesting to see where it leads me.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the old roof is off and they've started putting down the new shingles. Hopefully only two more days and it should be done.

1 comment:

  1. I'm one who would knit both fronts and both sleeves at the same time. Not for speed, but for accuracy. Otherwise, I always seem to make some mistake that is visible to me.

    I say "would knit" because I am a machine knitter. I machine knit for speed. I have so many ideas I want to try out. Knitting by hand just doesn't cut it when you want fast.

    ReplyDelete