_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Tucks And Wrinkles - Part 2

One of us failed to communicate clearly - as in either Barb said it wrong or I heard it wrong - because she's leaving this morning instead of tomorrow as I thought. This doesn't surprise me. The last time she visited, we went to the bus station only to discover that her ticket was for the next day. This must be catch-up. Only it's snowing. Hopefully the roads are open and good.




I wanted some kind of bridge between the tucks and the wrinkles. The fabric is a dull black - all of it - no matter what tricks lighting seems to take - and anything I tried in-between was either too shiny or too sporty or too different so I made "piping" of a sort by...




... folding a strip of the knit in half and zigzagging over the edge to create a picot edge and then...




... trimmed the strip to 3/4" measuring from the picots. The results were...




... soft and pliable and matched perfectly even if the fabric looks blue above and red ! below. Seeing these colors made me wonder if the fabric was overdyed and the light was picking up the "original" color. Just goes to show that the camera does indeed lie.




The line of lime green thread is a guide. First I basted the piping in place by hand and then secured it with a basted line of lime thread exactly where I wanted the seam line to be. The side front or side back was then pinned in place and I re-stitched with black thread ever so slightly beside the lime thread encasing it in the seam allowance and creating an accurate seam. I often use thread or pressed creases as guidelines. Anything to make it easier.

Tomorrow - the conclusion.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - safe, warm, dry studios

No comments:

Post a Comment