_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Tucks And Wrinkles - The Conclusion

Tomorrow, I'd planned to attend an art exhibit, visit with my friend Lorraine, and explore a favourite dress shop called South of Pine - all in Vernon. It's not going to happen. I'm sniffling. And cold. And not sleeping well. While annoying - tomorrow aside - it's rather good timing if I'm about to get a cold since my schedule is mostly free. We'll see. I've swallowed extra vitamin C just in case.




These pictures are slightly overexposed, the better to see the black. All of the pieces are underlined with light weight interfacing. I fused the fabric to the interfacing and then cut out the pieces individually to maintain size. It didn't work. For whatever reason, they kept shrinking. The center front panels shrunk an additional 1/2" - one entire seam allowance since the pattern is drafted with 1/2" seams.





The dolmen sleeve pattern looks VERY similar when flipped arm side out or body side out which is how I accidentally cut the first piece the wrong way. And it was late. And I was tired. And that's the way life's been going lately. I'd planned for the tucks to be running vertically. Post mistake, they are running horizontally in the back and...





,,, vertically in the front - which - referring to the science of lines - would make my butt look wider and my bust look smaller. With my figure, that's a scenario best reversed.




Due to shrinking, the seams were sewn as narrow as possible. When I tried it on, the resulting garment fit well in the bust and was huge through the waist and miles too small over the hips. I spent three days working on this piece at the Design Outside The Lines retreat, another two days morphing it into a skirt, and an additional four days re-working it into this shirt that became a coat. Three...




... times is my limit. Barb tried it on and when it fit her, I said it was hers if she finished it and bundled up the garment, extra fabric, the remaining pattern pieces, and handed her the package. Since she'd just spent four days telling me how gorgeous the developing piece was, I know she loved it and will wear it. Better that than in the trash or uselessly hanging in my closet. NEXT!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - vitamin C, warm snuggly blankets, and hot baths

4 comments:

  1. Hope you soon feel better, Myrna. Treating yourself with hot baths, snuggly blankets and tea sounds like just the medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well probably a fine outcome, all things considered. Barb will enjoy a gift, albeit an unplanned one. And it is a lovely piece. I especially like the different directions of the tucks, and the transitions between them. Elle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling well soon too.
    Great jacket though. I love how you've used the different detailing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the direction you took with your DOL tucked fabric. Sorry it didn't fit you, but glad Barb can use it. That's far better than the trash bin!
    Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete