_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Off To Vancouver

While in Kelowna, I - of course - stopped at Fabricland to check out the bargain center and found a wonderful, smooth, grey t-shirt knit. When I washed it...




... a pattern appeared. I've washed a print off before and I've heard of a pattern washing out but I have never washed a pattern in. So strange.




Acupuncture takes an hour. Some people listen to music. Some pray or meditate. Just like in the quote yesterday, my mind occupies itself with virtual sewing - figuring things out - like how to put the orange redo back together again. I worked on that yesterday afternoon and I like the back - still - I think I've said that all the way through. The front on the other hand...




... is not coming together. The idea is good but the balance is off and the larger bodice size is now too large in the shoulders and ribcage. I tried setting one sleeve in and it hung off the shoulder and wasn't at all flattering. Above, the sides are pinned in about 2" on each side. By the time I alter them and the shoulders and figure out how to make the sleeves hang smoothly, it may be more work than I want to invest in a garment that's not quite right - perhaps too much frankenpatterning.

This morning, I'm off to Vancouver for two days of fun and fabric. I'll debate finishing this garment or taking the idea forward starting with a better and complete pattern instead of all this mixing and matching of left over parts. Right now, that idea is winning but we'll see - on Friday - when I'm back in the studio. Howard voted for a new garment. LOL - he doesn't like the color.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - exploring ideas

3 comments:

  1. When I get acupuncture. I too think of sewing and knitting projects - fitting challenges specifically. C'mon, it's a perfect time to figure that stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re the brown dress. The lighter panels seem to me to be too large a percentage of the body width. Is it feasible to reduce the width here rather than at the side seams, it may be more aesthetically pleasing. Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only other idea might be having the sleeves in the lighter fabric - unless it looks worse:(

    ReplyDelete