_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Closer To Finished

Tomorrow, my friend Barb is coming for a week - of sewing. Barb is one of the easiest, undemanding guests ever and a delight to have visit.  Sometimes she'll just disappear from the studio and she's in the kitchen making dinner or baking or downstairs throwing things in the laundry. Gotta love that.




With a guest like her, there's no pressure to get things done but it's nice to have a deadline. The last time she was here we were mid renovations with plywood floors and unfinished details. Since then, the studio has moved twice. In this new one it's difficult to see at the work counter because your back blocks the general lighting. I've fixed that. These under counter fixtures have a tilting feature that allows you to direct the light where you want it.




I find task lighting increasingly more important as my eyes age. I've re-attached the bright light to the machine and will add one to the serger some time soon. There's also a desk top Ott light for when and if and whoever needs it.




Adding another shelf above the computer desk freed up a shelf above the work counter which will allow me to move things around and maximize space better. In a studio this size, every bit of space is precious.




This cabinet has those self closing drawers that suck in tighter than tight.  Getting them open has been hard on the fingernails, especially the bottom drawer full of patterns. Handles are good.




And the design wall is finally off the floor allowing access to another electrical outlet. After five months the other way, it's actually an adjustment to see it in place. I'll adjust. The studio is closer to finished. There's putting in a better light in the stash closet and adjusting the doors left to do. Later.

In the saga of funny things that are not. I used a stud finder to locate the studs for securing the shelf supports. I'm not sure what it located but it wasn't a stud. The supplies are light so I hung the shelf up anyway. If it falls down, I'll figure it out then. It takes four screws to hang up the lights. It took massively longer than that to actually do it with the screws refusing to enter the wood and winging off to the corners of the room. I punctured my finger to the drawing blood stage twice. The lights connect to each other and then plug into a common power source. My source comes from an extension cord plugged into an outlet behind the cupboards  The extension cord is two prong. The lights are three. Howard pulled the third prong out. It's a ground. The outlet is grounded. The handles for the cabinets come with their own screws which were - naturally - too long. It took three washers - determined one at a time - behind each handle to bridge the extra distance. The sticky on the back of the stick on bright light had de-stickied itself and the light kept tipping over and off. I had to make new sticky. We lay the new, clean, white flannel on the floor, lay the design wall on top, pulled the fabric taut around the back and stapled it in place. Apparently, my newly washed floor was not totally clean because my new white flannel no longer is either. Now to figure out how to clean it hanging up. Speaking of which. I thought Howard had put the second screw in securely before re-checking the level so I let go when he moved. It fell down. More stuff!

Yesterday's bible study was Mathew 5: 3-12. God has such a sense of humor. It reads: You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you. You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are—no more, no less. That’s the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can’t be bought. You’re blessed when you’ve worked up a good appetite for God. He’s food and drink in the best meal you’ll ever eat. You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being ‘care-full,’ you find yourselves cared for. You’re blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world. You’re blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That’s when you discover who you really are, and your place in God’s family. You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom. Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don’t like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

LOL - I'm not sure I want to be so blessed.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - garden fresh vegetables and a drive in the (mostly) sunshine to get them

3 comments:

  1. I think I'd have a hard time seeing the blessing in persecution, but no one said it would be easy.

    All those little challenges to get the lighting etc right sure seem to add up. It takes perseverence to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, quite the adventure you've had. The Bible verse reminds of when people say, "God doesn't give you more than you can handle" or some such sage-ness....but sometimes you just think, YES I can HANDLE it but I DON'T WANT TOO!
    Hang in, hope things smooth out for you soon. Enjoy your time with your friend, sewing. Sounds like a lovely week - rejuvinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always encouraged by your attitude. I did want to share one little tip that has helped me a lot when I am doing home repairs and modification: pilot holes. A pilot hole is when you drill a small hole where you intend to use a screw to attach things together. I do this all the time, and it makes the process much easier. I choose a drill bit that is about the diameter of the solid inside part of the screw (hold the drill bit up parallel to the screw, and you will be able to see when the center of the screw is the same size but the "flanges" on the screw stick out. Those flanges are what actually holds things together, the center just gets them into the wood. Then drill the smallish hole where you want the screw to go, and when you go to actually assemble things, it will be easier because you are not trying to force the screw into the wood, but merely guide it into place, the flanges will cut their way in while the center follows the path you have provided. I hope this is not too wordy and that it may be helpful, I do not have a lot of hand strength and do a lot of small projects around my home.

    ReplyDelete