_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Rookie Move

Typically, I wake up at six. Today, it was after eight with a nine o'clock appointment which means I'm only getting to blogging and that first cup of coffee now. Life's been like that lately. For months. As I was telling Peng, my acupuncturist, it feels like the universe is picking on me. It's so funny, it's not.

Here's an example. On Sunday, my friend was passing through town on her way home from a trip back east. We both needed a good chat and went for breakfast at Hello Toast - a place that was once a favourite. Just getting there was complicated. There was construction on virtually every corner and most of the downtown roads were closed so we parked a few blocks away and walked, had our breakfast, got a coffee refill, told our waitress we were just going to chat, and she said that was fine. About twenty minutes later the manager comes up and says as you can see there are people waiting and this is not the kind of restaurant for visiting on a weekend. I'm going to have to ask you to leave. REALLY! We'd been there maybe an hour and a half and I have eaten in that restaurant almost weekly for years and have had long visits with other friends on other days that were busy with a line-up and it was never a problem. Apparently, the restaurant has turned into a gobble and go so I won't be going there anymore. Stuff like that. Stuff like...




... the rookie move with the turquoise t-shirt. There's a part missing - a critical part. It must have been all those quick and dirty t-shirt muslins that are to blame causing me to forget the lessons of pattern cutting 101. While laying out the pattern, I was carefully conserving fabric and had just pinned the left front - upside down - and cut it out when it occurred to me that when you have a left front and a right front, you cannot flip the pattern. However... I hadn't cut out the right front so it seemed as if it should be okay. NOT. Even though I'd only cut that one piece, there was absolutely no way in which to turn the other pieces to cut them all out of the remaining fabric so I tried...




... piecing in scraps, right side up, on the part that would be visible, hoping the seams would be tucked under the wrap portion. After I'd sewn the shoulder seams and pinned the side seams, the tacky little scrapping it together zigzagged seam went right straight across the left b--b. Not exactly the look I was going for. I've ordered more fabric since this was - of course - a piece I picked up in Vancouver and not one I'd bought locally. All I can say is I hope this is a t-shirt I enjoy wearing and wear often because it just got expensive but - either way - I'm determined to win whatever war this is going on!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - laughter

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Goddess Gotcha got you!!! i too dislike when a favorite haunt changes gears, so hard to find places to just sit and relax!
    I do want to thank you for sharing your 'mistake", when those who do something so well still make these type of mistakes it helps those of us still in the earlier stages of learning have patience with ourselves! May the new piece match perfectly and the t-shirt become a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a mess! It is so easy to mislay a piece of a project, and so very easy to muck up the right-side-up/upside down bits. Sorry that you'll have to wait for your new blue blouse.
    I had to give up a favorite stop-for-coffee-and-catch-up-on-work spot when the manager cozied up to me and tried to get me to agree with him that his place was great because that "dark cloud from the city" wasn't here yet. (No black people in the restaurant that day.) It was so offensive that I never stopped there again. I should have told him why I was offended, but I am a coward.

    ReplyDelete