_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 17 May 2010

Calling Cards & Collections

Before the fall, I want to have some new calling cards printed. Since I'm not in business, I can't really call them business cards. Either way - whatever you call them - they are - a very useful tool. I want them to reflect where I'm at now only I'm stuck as to what to call myself.

I remember having this whole debate during my art career opting to use the term textile artist over quilter or quilt artist because I didn't want to evoke images of Grandma and beds. My art was not at all quilt-like. The term textile artist invites questions - what does that mean - that I can answer in a sentence - think contemporary, abstract painting only made of fabric. I want those same possibilities in my new card.

It should say that I am creative with fashion but not that I sew for others or sell sewn garments. For that reason seamstress, sewist, or fashion designer will not work. The only term that I think evokes that same asking questions essence is Fashionista. I googled it and UrbanDictionary has a mixed set of definitions, some of which work really well for me and others that don't. What do you think? If not fashionista, what phrase would you suggest?

Changing subjects - in his article, 10 Inspiring Ideas For Your Home, in the current edition of Oprah, Nate Burkus says: Start a collection: Whether it's first-edition books, English teacups, or ceramic cows, a carefully assembled collection expresses your singular style.

When I first read that I thought about collections past not current - like my (at one time) collection of antique purses. I stopped collecting them when the collection was no longer my own. Once it's known that you are collecting some thing, you receive that thing as gifts, not always in versions that you like or would have bought and instead of being personal and individual, your collection becomes others driven. How frustrating.

BUT THEN... I thought about my thirty six year collection - my studio - which has definitely been carefully assembled and expresses my singular style. What I love most about my studio is how each ingredient contains within it both the seeds of creativity and of endless possibility. Here are some of the beautiful moments in my studio.




These are jars of dryer garbage, those clumps of thread that gather on the cut edge of fabric when you pre-wash or dye it. Dryer garbage is wonderful when combined with...




... luscious, hand-dyed threads. I use a swift and a thread winder to transfer these to a standard spool and then run them through the sewing machine or couch them in place.




One drawer is devoted to purse handles and beads. Making purses is one of my favourite expressions of self. During my art career, a purse was a Myrna project, something special, set aside, just for me. Making one was a holiday.




I love, love, love thread in all forms from the practical to the artistic. This little stand sits beside my sewing machine and holds the most current spools. Nearby, under my work island, I have jars filled with threads of different colors. I can see at a glance what I need just by turning my head. You can see those in the studio pictures on my website.




What is more practical and wonderful than a zipper well installed? This basket contains all kinds including invisible, regular, separating, metal, plastic, and rhinestone in lengths from four to twenty-four inches.




These new patterns arrived Thursday. They're just a few of an extensive and growing collection - maybe 300. I know many of you have far more however, 300 is a lot of patterns when you haven't sewn fashions for twenty years. They are pregnant with potential - LOL - like this 60's retro sheath. What fun that would be to sew. I have absolutely no where to wear it. Does that matter? Not at all.




My primary fabric for textile art was cotton. I have piles and piles in different colors. Although I'm not using these at the moment, they remain attention grabbingly pretty to look at reminding me of past accomplishments and future potential.




These hand-dyed silk scraps range in color and size and look fabulous with the dryer garbage, hand dyed threads, and beads. Silk is an interesting fabric to create textile art with. Too much thread work and you lose the luster; not enough and it looks like a quilted bedspread. Silk stretches your skills. It's also delightful to run your hands through and lie around in - LOL.




Focal point buttons call to be first - pick me and then the pattern and fabric. Some of them are far too big to make a traditional button hole for. I'll need to learn new skills like a bound buttonhole or button loops or snaps underneath or a chain with a smaller button. Ideas tickle.




I'm a huge advocate of lifelong learning and I love to read. It's a good combo. In the past few years, I've sought out self-published, out of print, and obscure titles for the different and intensive information they contain. Kenneth King's The Moulage or Lynda Maynard's Demystifying Fit are not likely to be picked up by a traditional publishing house. The field of interest is too small only it's my field. I'm interested. My collection ranges from obscure titles to well worn favourites like Fit For Real People.

Perhaps, I should have included a picture of the computer. At one time I swore "over my dead body will we have one of those boxes in our house". Obviously, I was wrong. I'm still alive and I have two. I can't imagine how different life would have been if I hadn't started to use a computer. It was love at first click. The computer led to designing, to writing my books, to teaching online, to connecting with others with a similar interest in textile art and fashion sewing. It has broadened my world beyond considerably. I'm so thankful to have it as a part of my collection.

What's the favourite part of your collection?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - all the bits and pieces that come together to make the whole

8 comments:

  1. Hi Myrna,

    I don't like the term fashionista because for better or worse it recalls the term fascista to me. I'm not sure I have a better one. Garment artist?

    My favourite part of my collection are my sewing machine feet, the more outlandish the better. I like the mechanisms that make sewing what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fashionista can also mean a follower of trends, can't it? I don't think that would define you very well...To me, you're more of a fashionist-er, someone who makes her own fashion. And what could be better than a new word to go with your unique personnality?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go with "fashionista". It will generate interest when someone reads your card. As far as the collections.....I have a bit of everything!.....Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was struggling with what to put on my new card last year, I choose "Fabric Artist" as that is the main media I work with. Although, I make quilts of all kinds and sizes with an emphasis on very creative small art pieces, I did not want to box myself as a quilt maker only. Now I can create anything with fabric, including garments, purses, hats, whatever... and still call myself a fabric artist!

    Fashionista???? That word does not resonate with me, but does it resonate with you? It does have the possibility of generating some discussion! Thanks for linking to the Urban Dictionary site. I had not used it before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Fashionista fits at all but that could just be because I don't particularly like that term. But I'm wondering why you need any title? You're not in this as a business venture, right? You're not looking for clients. Why not just your name and contact info. I guess I'm missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what about "fashion artist"?

    On the topic of collections - DH and I stumbled across a home tour while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. We enjoyed the simplicity and elegance of 3 of the homes, but neither of us liked the fourth one. As I considered what I didn't like about it, I realized that it was too cluttered with too many different collections displayed all over the place.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myrna, why must you title yourself at all? I have no title on mine, just my info--so people can contact me if need be. My icon is a pair of open scissors standing up with red ribbon twisting thru them--perfect as it indicates I work with textiles but is not specific as to what I do with them. I really think you should consider the option of not titling yourself.

    Gail D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would second the suggestions that you simply have a card with your name, contact information and perhaps an interesting image relating to your myriad textile and clothing skills. If you did not want to have graphical imagery, perhaps an interesting font...

    When I see the term "fashionista" it makes me think of someone who obsessively follows current "high fashion" through the medium of shopping, rather than someone like yourself who is highly skilled at creativity and sewing.

    (I myself am currently working on redesigning my personal cards, which I do about every few years)
    http://artisanry.blogspot.com/2010/02/crafternoon-delight-stampcarving.html

    ReplyDelete