_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 31 May 2010

This And That

This teal t-shirt is the new draft of the New Look 6735 pattern compared to my revised sloper. There's a big difference in the bicep width. This one is wider and a lot more comfortable. The sleeve didn't twist at all when I wore it all day Sunday. The front is a bit too wide at the bottom. The back fits smoothly.




This fabric is super stretchy and slightly ribbed so it's quite body conforming. I"ll try something a little less co-operative fitwise next time and see how that goes. I want to get this pattern consistently wonderful so I can design with it. Knit tops are my preference.




On Saturday, I made a muslin of the Butterick 6582 retro dress. It fit VERY tight and - as a few of the reviews had mentioned - the shoulders didn't have the drape shown on the pattern envelope.




Narrowing the side seams and darts fixed the ease problem. The shoulders were going to take a lot more work. I wanted the neckline lower and more draped with pleats not gathers. This wasn't a project I wanted to get caught up in. It was supposed to be a Saturday bonus. If it had worked, I'd have had a new dress by the end of the day. Because it didn't...




Instead, I made a muslin of the Simplicity 2648 sheath. It fit fairly well through the front. There are only a few tweaks. The back needs a lot more work. Today, I'll make the combined muslin with the Simplicity front, New Look back, and Vogue skirt I talked about in Saturday's posting HOWEVER, I'll do it in a short sheath version to start with. The short version will work later for another dress and now for the lining of the frivolous dress I'm making this week.

On Sunday, Howard and I drove to Ikea in Vancouver. It's about a four hour drive so we made a day of it leaving early, stopping for breakfast and lunch, and getting back home around dinner time. We went to get the Aneboda 3 drawer chest that I saw in Kristy's blog. Her images show five patterns across so obviously it's just perfect for patterns - which I have quite a few of and want to organize.


Even before we got there, I knew that I wouldn't like the clear front. It's not glass, it's plastic. That wouldn't bother me as much as seeing the patterns through the drawer front. I much prefer closed storage as in storage that is totally behind covers. A lot of visual clutter irritates me. I had been contemplating how to calm the front and then...


... we saw the Aspelund 3 drawer chest. It was more money, more my style, and a lot sturdier. We'll still support the drawer bottoms as Kristy describes on her blog and I might eventually paint it. Streaky grey is not really my color BUT... it's going to be perfect for patterns. This is my birthday present. I hope Howard has time to put it together before Thursday. I could do it but - LOL - I'm sewing the dress.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - storage and knowing myself well enough to know what I need rather than forcing myself to make do with what won't work just because it's cheaper.

3 comments:

  1. I like the chest you got, too. Seeing through the plastic front would drive me up the wall unless it was just so. I would have to "design" the patterns that showed up which would throw everything off.

    Love the top and look forward to following your progress on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on the way to purchase the New Look pattern (6735). I have been on a quest for the perfect "tee" since time began. Maybe this will work. As an aside: I finally took the time to view your art, you have a talent one would only hope to emulate. You also have good taste in pattern chests!..........Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your t-shirt, I like your chest of drawers too. The plastic front would drive me a little crazy too.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the sheath dress. It's fascinating to see how you find and then fix your fitting issues and then the resulting garment. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete