_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 25 May 2010

Mountain Of Muslins

This morning the sun is shining, the trees are standing straight and tall, and the grass is dry. It looks to be a beautiful day now that the weekend is over. It was cold, windy, and wet. Not at all perfect for the unofficial start of summer although we managed to get a lot of work done anyway. In the back yard, the bark mulch is finished between the hedge. In the front, we dug out all the plants, replaced the dirt, split the perennials, and replanted the main garden. We also filled the planters with dirt ready for annuals sometime later this week. I have other things to do first.




In-between gardening, I worked on muslins - a mountain of muslins. One thing that I've learned about PMB is how important the pattern editor function is. The slightest difference in a measurement can make changes that you hadn't anticipated. For instance, lengthening center back 1/4" lowered the armhole 1". Without the ability to compare the two patterns, you wouldn't know that. I needed to know and move the armhole back up.

I tried different scenarios each time making comparisons to ensure that the armhole and bust point and other key aspects remained in place. In the end, I didn't adjust for sloped shoulders. It doesn't appear that I have them because even a quarter inch adjustment left excess fabric at the neck. Instead I added another 1/2" to the front and back shoulder widths and...




... widened the neck because THAT WRINKLE appeared on all slopers no matter what other changes I had made. When I put the slopers on backward, moving the right shoulder to the left, the wrinkle still appeared on the right shoulder. It's not the sloper. It's my body.

My neck does not sit squarely in the middle. It is skewed to the right. My left shoulder is a half inch longer than my right shoulder. The only time this will be a real issue is with a collared blouse otherwise I can opt for wider necklines or less formal options. Luckily, I don't wear too many dress shirt collars. I'm glad to have finally figured this wrinkle out.



The quote is in, acceptable, and we're getting the patio poured asap. Work will start on Thursday. Before then, as in today, I'm going to paint the wood under the upper deck. Right now, it's brown. I want white. The contractor says it'll take about two weeks to prep, pour, face, and seal the exposed aggregate slab. Imagine, two weeks from now and I'll have a much cleaner, brighter, lovelier view from my studio. I'm so excited. There's a peace and calm in finishing things. Raw edges wear on me.

How do we manage everything? How do you manage? I'm not working yet I'm finding there is so much to do and not enough time. Between finishing the yard, trying to keep the house clean, hopefully cooking, and the list of things that need doing like window washing and painting trims, cleaning light fixtures, and much, much more, there isn't enough of me to go around. It seems as I take care of one area, another falls apart. I accomplished a lot in the yard this week and the kitchen is bare. I badly need to go grocery shopping. When? There isn't enough time for it all. It seems that in the past, I just didn't do all these jobs and maybe I can't do them all now. I'll need a system (or help) because all work and no play makes Myrna a grumpy girl. It's not good. I'll think about that while I'm painting.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - My oldest son was in a car accident on Friday night. He is fine. The other driver was sent to hospital with minor injuries. No one died. I'm so thankful. My son had gone away for the long weekend with friends so didn't come home until yesterday. I could hardly wait to hug him, count fingers and toes, and see for myself that he truly was okay.

5 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that your son is fine and that no-one came to any really serious harm.

    Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your son is OK and that no one was killed. As for managing to do everything, if you find the answer, please let me know. I moved to the country from the city so I would have more time for the things that are important to me. Between working full time and managing acreage and all the usual bits that go with having a life, I have less time than I did before. That's before you even start to consider the maintenance that a 100 year old farm house needs. I'm like you; raw edges wear me out and living in a partially renovated house for so long has been very tiring. At least my sewing room is organised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna, I'm happy your son is okay.
    About time, I am baffled that I was ever late for anything before I became a mother and a homeowner. I guess we expand our to do list to fill our time budgets. I am eagerly looking forward to retirement and will cling to the idea that I will have all this luxurious free time once I no longer am working - even if it is a delusion. It is my light at the end of the tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m so glad that your son is okay. Of course you could hardly wait to hold him, you must have been so worried.

    I don't know how anyone finds time. I am often completely worn out by all the unfinished edges and still keep plugging away. I got even further behind during those years when my DH was too ill for me to do things. I does seem like I used to do all these things, but I know I hadn't let things slip, and I know that more has been added.

    Finishing any project is such a joy now, although I am still working on the sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna,I am glad to hear that your son is okay and no one was seriously hurt.
    Dawson Creek had a good 6" or more of snow last week and the water is running, trees are damaged and people were out of power for 60 hours to 3 days. It looks like the beginning of mud season but warmer.
    DH seems to be busy all the time with our place. We have a large lot, 13 fruit trees, a garden, and renos on the go. I wonder if we will have spare time in the next year. That remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete