_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 19 May 2010

Yard & Repair Work

Apparently the sun shone like crazy while we were away last weekend. I know it's true. The weeds grew in feet, not just inches. Last year, we planted a privet hedge along the back edge of our yard. The plants are spaced three feet apart for when they're full grown. Right now, the spaces in-between are filling up with weeds. SO...




... this morning... right after I take my son for his learner's license and then to school... I'm going to pull weeds. It's been raining quite heavy for the last two days. The soil is soft and they should come out easily. I hope. While I enjoy a beautiful garden, I do not enjoy gardening. It's like cooking. I keep wishing I did but I don't.




There is supposed to be a lovely deck with a beautiful yard and gardens just outside my studio window. For the past six years since we bought the house, we've been getting to it. My cousin is coming to visit in mid July. Most of my family lives quite far back east and never comes to visit so having her come is motivating. On Thursday, I'm getting a quote on an exposed aggregate pad. They could do it right away so I hope it's affordable. The view would improve immensely especially once I add the wicker furniture and flower pots. It'll be beautiful.




While I was at Jessica's, I fit the trial bra. I'm going to compare the alterations to pattern sizing and see if there is one that's a better choice. I'm not sure how underwires work. Changing sizes might require me to order new ones. I'm hoping to figure that out tonight so I can get them ordered and get the next sample to her as soon as possible. Liana posted some gorgeous lingerie on her blog the other day. I'm inspired.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - soft soil

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Research suggests that boomers are more likely to have regrets than previous generations. Life has thrown many opportunities our way. More advantages mean more paths not taken and greater chances for remorse. Previous generations might find it easier to rationalize risks not taken or dreams not pursued because their options were more limited. Not us. So it will be particularly important for us to be self-aware when making life choices. Studies find that people's top regrets centre on (in descending order) education, career, romance, parenting, the self and leisure. They surmise that these areas produce the greatest potential for regret because this is where people see the greatest prospects for change, growth, and renewal. - You Could Live A Long Time: Are You Ready? by Lyndsay Green, page 90-91

This is quite a fascinating book. I'm intrigued that many of the aspects of life that I've already been working through are ones that the elders interviewed say need to be addressed. Many - not all.

I've been studying my whole life either through reading, workshops, or enrolling in formal classes. I've pursued numerous careers from working retail to the beauty industry to construction and renovation to writing and teaching. When something interests me, I follow it up. I don't imagine that attitude is going to change as I age although my approach has. I'm far less driven.

I've been married to my husband for almost thirty years. We've grown up together. We like, respect, and love each other. I'm not pining for lost loves or looking for new ones. My biggest regret would be in the area of parenting. I wish I'd been more relaxed, less driven, and spent more time with my children when they were younger with more walks in the park and less focus on work. I'm doing that now. That's the best I can do.

In terms of self and leisure, I'm also a huge believer in self care and in self development. I spend a lot of time on both and that interest is intertwined with my leisure. Self and creativity weave through everything I do. I recognize that I'm able to have this focus because I'm not fighting to survive. I've been blessed with a very good life that leaves time for self exploration and creativity.

It was interesting that the list didn't include other relationships. I believe life is about our relationship with God and with others and that there is nothing more important than relationships. I imagine more on this topic is coming up.

On page 98, the author quotes two of the elders... As Peter put it, "What I do in my life is based on values, beliefs and philosophies. If you don't have these, then you get buffeted around. You must find a moral compass." Georgina agrees. "You need some form of belief system as you age. I haven't become more devoted as I age. I actually find I have more questions rather than less. But my religion really grounds me. It's the center of my outlook and it guides me."

Exactly. YES YES

No comments:

Post a Comment