_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Saturday 29 May 2010

No Choice

My favourite pattern of the ones I showed on Wednesday is the Vogue 7824. I love the lines and femininity of the skirt. I'm not so crazy about the spaghetti straps. They would ruin my enjoyment of the dress which is why I decided on the New Look 6670 combination however, since the Simplicity 2648 has the same princess lines and comes with individual patterns for cup sizes, I'll use it for the upper front bodice, the New Look for the back, and the Vogue for the skirt. I will - of course - make a muslin. That's too much mixing it up not to.




This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous to some of you and completely understandable to others. There are only two fabrics in my very wide and rather extensive stash that are suitable for this dress. The first is a gorgeous, denim blue, mottled, slightly stretchy, lace that I bought three years ago just after my daughter's wedding thinking it would be fabulous for a mother-of-the-groom dress. Since I have two sons, this seems a distinct possibility. I'm not ready to cut it up yet not because I'm afraid to but because I want to save it for that occasion just in case. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't have lining and godet fabric to match. That leaves me with no choice. I'll use the other fabric.




I bought this black/taupe/gold lace the last time I visited my daughter. It was on sale in the discount section for $2.50 a meter. The lining is a plain black satin-ish fabric. Jessica had bought meters and meters of it thinking that she might sew pajama pants. I wish she had since I'd love to see her sewing however, she didn't and gave it to me. There's more than enough for the lining and some pants for her. Free is good.




The godets will be cut from this black, embroidered, looks like organza - although I have no idea what it actually is although it has drape and this is good - with a scalloped edge, lace. It would be wonderful if I could use the edging along the hemline. I'm not sure. It's very narrow and would be hard to work with. At the very least, I should be able to sew it to the bottom of the lining.




The dress fabric cost $7.50, the lining was free, and the organza has been in my textile art stash for five years and was written off years ago. We'll consider it free too. A zipper, some thread, and the patterns (all bought on sale for no more than 5.99) and this dress won't cost more than $30.00. What fun.

It's raining again. That makes it impossible to paint which makes it totally possible to spend today in the studio sewing. YES YES. I won't start on the dress until next week. I'll make a "bonus" project today.

Have a great weekend - Myrna

Grateful - that I am able to make the dress without buying anything more.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, it's going to be stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're going to have a gorgeous dress. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete