_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Saturday 1 May 2010

Tied Up In Stockings

It was far too smelly in the studio yesterday morning to sew. Instead, I took a latte out to my husband at work. He's been putting in incredibly long hours and I want to both say thank you and remind him that I exist - LOL. From there...

... my car naturally meandered over to Fabricland where I fully intended to look at - and not buy - a pattern. Hmm... well... that's not exactly what happened. As is my habit, I checked out the discount section and came home with nine meters of this silver grey, medium weight, knit. It's only 20" wide which is why I bought so much however, at 3.00 a meter, it's perfect for trying some of the tucking, ruching, draping ideas in my Anthropologie files.




When I got home, I finished my daughter's bra and promptly tied all the pieces up in stockings and ran them through the wash. The musk smell is gone. YES YES!




You can't see what a beautiful brown it is in these pictures. Everything looks black. You can see the lovely lace along the top and the pretty bow. The purpose of that bow is not pure decoration. Based on how you sew a bra together, it's there to cover the meeting point of the two wire channels. Interesting.




These straps are much prettier than the ones I used on my bra. They are wider and softer on the back. I'm quite pleased with how I sewed the bra together. There was no one section that I thought could have been done better and it came together more smoothly than the other two I sewed last fall. My skills are progressing.




A bra is very difficult to photograph without the boobs to support it - LOL - and once again it looks completely black as opposed to brown shot with black surrounded by black trim. Oh well.




It appears as if my size is stabilizing. I checked some measurement charts yesterday and they haven't shifted for a few weeks now. That's good news for sewing myself a few bras. With my size changing four times in the last six months, I only have two and one is white which I don't really like. I could sew a few darker ones and over dye the white one. What fun for some time. Not right now though. I'm not quite sure what I want to sew next but I know it's not a bra.

My oldest son found out yesterday that his job doesn't start until a week Monday. He has decided to go visit his sister and will take the bra with him. It's tissue wrapped and packed in his suitcase. He declined pinning, fitting, and photographing. Apparently, I'll have to do that myself when I get there in a few weeks - LOL.

I'm nervous about the trip. This will be the longest distance he has ever driven and more than three times longer than any trip he's taken before. On the other hand, I'm thrilled that he's going. This is the first time that one of our (now an adult) children is visiting their (now an adult) sibling without a parent along. It's different than when Jessica and Kyle (our SIL) come home to visit. It's FABULOUS. God know that I've told them enough times that I'm going to die eventually and they need to be friends because I won't always be here. Maybe... just maybe... someone was listening - VBG.

Having quit the SWAP, my sewing possibilities are wide open. Most likely I'll sew a hoodie next. I don't have a light jacket of any kind for walking around the block. I'm sure I have a pattern and fabric. I'll dig into that later and see what I come up with. More on Monday.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - family

No comments:

Post a Comment