_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 26 May 2010

Next Week

Nothing frustrates me more than when I can't do the thing I want to do because of a physical limitation like I'm not strong enough or - in the case of painting yesterday - not tall enough. The ground is uneven. There was no way I was standing on the top of a tippy ladder while reaching upward so I painted everything that I could reach and left the rest for someone taller - like my husband.




I am SO GLAD that I decided to do this painting before the slab is poured. I made a mess. We much prefer to use latex paint however, since I didn't know what type of paint the previous owner had used and because of exposed wood, I had to use an oil primer. The consistency is much thinner. It flipped around like crazy and went everywhere. I need more practice.

While painting, I thought about how overwhelmed I'm feeling with the TO DO list. Because I am not working and because my husband is working long hours, six days a week, I think I've subconsciously taken on all the work I see both inside and outside of the house. It isn't possible. There's just too much. I need to pace myself and realize that all I can do is all I can do AND - since I'm a huge fan of celebration - I'm taking next week off. It will be the week of me. Other than what absolutely has to be done, whatever else can wait.

Next Thursday (June 3rd) is my 48th birthday and the Sunday following (June 6th) is our 29th wedding anniversary. Typically on my birthday, I do something just for me. In the past, that has meant taking a workshop, going on a shopping trip, or sewing an accessory like a purse - something that was completely different from the textile art I was working on at that time. This year, there isn't a workshop I want to take, I don't need to do more shopping, and I've been sewing fashions for the past nine months. SO... I've decided to sew something out of the ordinary - a frivolous dress - something wearable but a step up from every day. Not that a dress is ordinary for me. I don't have a dress. I had one that I sewed a few months back except that the neckline bothered me and I didn't wear it so it's now in the refashion pile ready to be chopped into a skirt.

The criteria is that I must use a pattern and fabric that I already have in stash. I thought I'd get your help choosing the top three patterns first and from there we can look at fabric and I'll read the reviews and "we'll" make a decision. I hope you'll help. Here are the choices.




McCall's 9537 is out of print. This is one of the oldest patterns in my stash. I'm drawn to the yellow version top left with the buttons down the back. What's been holding me back from sewing this dress is the halter top. I'm uncomfortable with too much of my shoulders exposed, I prefer to wear a bra, and I don't want to buy a special one just for this outfit. Otherwise, I love how it flows through the waist and skirt. If I made this pattern, I would alter the shoulder line to accommodate bra straps.




I think the skirt of Vogue 7824 is incredibly graceful with the godets in another fabric. The princess seams are wonderful for fitting my triangle figure. I'm not that keen on the neckline and narrow shoulder straps. If I made this pattern, I would combine the skirt with...




... the upper garment from New Look 6670. If you look at the back view for this pattern, you'll see that it's a deep V. The combo could be quite flattering or I could just sew it as is. The first time I saw this pattern on a blog, it had been used for a wedding dress and looked gorgeous.




Vogue 8630 above (view A on the right) and Butterick 5277 below (view C at bottom right) have similarities. I want something a bit edgy rather than prissy. The fabric would make the difference. The Vogue pattern has a waist seam which would be great for fitting but might require a belt. I'm not sure about wearing a belt. They tend to make me feel sliced and fat.




Butterick 5314 below requires a stretch fabric. That's not a problem, I have lots. Using a knit would make for a comfortable, moves with me, dress. Although this one isn't too outrageous, it would be quite wearable through the summer. I saw a really pretty version of this dress on someone's blog - I think it was Amanda's - only I can't find the link. It was so pretty I bought the pattern.



Simplicity 2648 is along the same lines. The princess seams might make it easier to fit, the V neck would be flattering, and the partial self belt - or whatever you call it - would hide the abbreviated waist seam. It comes in different cup sizes which would make fitting easy.





Butterick 6582 is a retro pattern from the 60's that I bought a few weeks ago. Since I was born in '62, it seems appropriate. I'd make one of the sheath versions on the right. What do you think of the bows?




So... which pattern do you think I should sew? What alterations would you suggest? What type of fabric are you imagining? I want to pick the pattern by Thursday night, submit some fabric choices on Friday, get your feedback, make a decision over the weekend, start sewing on Monday, and hopefully wear this on our anniversary. What fun that would be. Meanwhile...

... since this is the year of the yard and that means I'm busy painting and gardening, I've decided to sew t-shirts this week. I'm done with muslins. Now, I want to try various necklines and sleeve lengths on a basic garment so that at some time in the future, I can work my T & T pattern in all sorts of new directions. I'll start tonight. This morning, I'm driving to my friend's about 45 minutes away. She'll cut my hair and then we'll knit and chat for the afternoon. While Kyle has his music lesson this afternoon, I'm meeting another friend for coffee, and then I'll visit and sew with Wendy tonight. Apparently most of my socializing is on one day this week. What fun.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that I have patterns and fabric to chose from and the option of spending a week celebrating my birthday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - The story of the talents in the bible refers to a rich land owner who gave three of his servants some money to care for while he was away. One buried it in the ground to keep it safe. One invested it meagerly and made a meager return. The other invested it fully and made a substantial return. The talents symbolize the resources that God has given us.

I believe two things. The first is that it's important to be grateful for what God has given us no matter how little or how much that is and the second is to take care of, invest, and use wisely and substantially what we have been given. If we are not grateful, and if we do not care for the little, God will not bless us with more and if we do not use fully what we have been given, we're denying the gift.

My skills and abilities, my home, and all that I have are talents that God has given me. While I'd rather not be doing all this physical work and am feeling overwhelmed by the to-do list, I recognize that the work needs to be done. In many cases, it should have been done a long time ago and I've made more work for myself by putting it off. It is my responsibility to care for what God has given me either by doing the work myself or by hiring someone to do it. While on one level I'm whining and complaining on another I'm extremely thankful to do this work because I am grateful to have been blessed with so much. As a bonus, I can dream dreams of fashions while working. I'll be back in the studio sometime soon.

9 comments:

  1. Myrna,
    Could you combine the beautiful godet skirt (Vogue 7824) with the V neck of Simplicity 2648?
    For myself, I'd like to try the left view of Butterick 6582. I was born in 1969 so it would still be OK, wouldn't it ? Love that skirt...but hate the bows!
    Can't wait to see what combination you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your thoughts on the patterns, and thinking about your choices and options. It will be nice to see what you end up doing.

    As to the frustration about what you can't do, I understand that as well. I have felt I have to do everything I can around here but I am learning to let some things go, or hire people even though I could do it myself. Otherwise I am stretched too thin, and my DH is really no longer able to help much. I hear you about the oil-based primer and stain: I had to use some of that last year and I won't do it again on the deck. I'll just pay someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you feel so overwhelmed with chores. I feel exactly the same way. Houses require a lot of upkeep. Even if you pay someone else, there is the effort of finding the right person to do the work and the effort of over-seeing the work.

    Anyway, I like all the dresses you posted. I'd rule out #1 and #2 off the bat just becuase they have bra strap issues and you have so many other good patterns to consider. I love the vintage sheath, for what it's worth. And if dressy is OK with you, I can see it in a dupioni silk, underlined and lined. It would be a pretty dress. But I like the other patterns very much, as well. This will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning,
    I like the New Look 6670 bodice and the Vogue 8630 bodice. Both of these seem to say Myrna to me.

    I would use the skirt from either Simplicity 2648 on the far right or the Butterick 6582 shown in black.

    As to:
    "feeling overwhelmed by the to-do list, I recognize that the work needs to be done. In many cases, it should have been done a long time ago and I've made more work for myself by putting it off. It is my responsibility to care for what God has given me either by doing the work myself or by hiring someone to do it. "

    I just went through the very same thing. Let it go too long and you have more work than if you had done a little at a time as each choir reared its ugly head. Little choirs are much easier than big chores.

    DH did his best in rebuilding our shed in the back yard. He also followed his own ideas about permanently closing our in ground swimming pool.

    I had to go behind on the pool and do additional work so that rain and snow will not cause the covers to collapse under the pressure. As for the shed, now I have to go behind and use calk in between the trim boards that do not meet each other.

    I am not complaining about DH. He always does the best he can do. Often we have different ideas about how to do something and that is the real issue.

    Enough about me!

    Enjoy your birthday week making a wonderful dress to wear on your wedding anniversary. I do know how important those dates are to all women. Men would just as soon forget them altogether.

    LOL, Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. My preference is - Simp amazing fit - then Butterick 5314 and 3rd is the McCalls pattern - the first one. To me, those "might" be something I could wear!!
    Marciae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday week!

    Here are my thoughts on the patterns:

    9357 - This could be fabulous dressed up or down depending on accessories. Maybe you could sew a bra into the halter part of the dress between the fabric and the lining?

    7824/6670 combo - Very lovely. I have a hard time warming up to designs which are drape-y because on me, they reveal too much thigh shape. Not saying it's an issue for you - I just don't get excited about the bias skirts.

    8630/5277 - Love the neckline! This one gets my vote. I feel you on the belt. My first thought when I read your post was it would be perfect with a partial belt between the princess seam lines. Then I saw...

    2648 - This is my second choice. I like the neckline, but I prefer the asymmetrical design. I find it chic.

    6582 - I think it is sophisticated and would be a lovely addition to your wardrobe. I am not sure bows say "Myrna" to me, though. I do like the idea of accenting your shoulders, however. It widens the shoulder line and provides balance.

    I wish you had time to make them ALL!

    I can't wait to see which one you choose.

    :)Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myrna,
    My suggestion would be Butterick 5314 - it is a current rendition of the sheath dress that provides enough shoulder coverage for bra straps.

    Lois k

    ReplyDelete
  8. Butterick 6582 Myrna..it looks flirty and chic. Celebrate your new body and your birthday by making something just a liitle bit different.
    In 10 years (when you are my age) it will be great to look back and see the beauty of what you are now

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the retro Butterick for something special, although the Amazing Fit sheath is lovely and very classic. I agree with the prior posters (and you!) that the bows are a no.

    ReplyDelete