_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 21 February 2011

Dress Progress & Fabricland Fabrics

It's Saturday night. I'm writing Monday's posting now since I won't have time Monday morning. This has been a wonderful workshop so far. There are only four students. Caroline and I have been friends for years and the other two are equally good friends which makes for a great combo AND - even more wonderful - we all seem to sew at a similar level and it looks like we will all finish our project Sunday. Perfect.




My dress is making progress. It's waiting for the sleeves, the bodice lining, and the hem. The sleeves are seamed and hemmed. They just need inserting. The hem is pinned and pressed. It just needs stitching. I'll ask Ron for more info on the lining. He will probably have some tricks since he uses a lining far more often than I do.

Ron is a wealth of information. He knows all kinds of technical tricks which makes for amazing learning for me - like why I need the special foot for invisible zippers and how to match up the seams when inserting an invisible zipper. On the back of my dress, the check band matches both top and bottom beautifully. Just that was worth the price of admission.




I haven't bought as much fabric as I might normally. Because I work at Fabricland, every time I want to make a purchase, I need to find a manager to both cut the fabric and ring it in at the cash register. That does tend to make you think.

In the group above, far left is a embroidered cotton voile, regular $18.00 per meter. Next to it is a very soft lace with a paisley design, regular $21.00 per meter. Both were in the bargain section for $2.50 a meter. I bought a meter of the lace for Sharon as well - for bras. The darker blue print is a sweater knit and next to it is a lace knit. Both were 50% off. I remember that the lace was regular $18.00 but I can't remember the price of the sweater knit. I might not even have looked. I just loved it. It's a paisley. You know how I'm a sucker for paisley.




These fabrics were in the discount section for $1.50 a meter. They are cotton voile. I think the regular price was around $12.00 per meter. The one on the left has a border print on one edge which will be fun to play with. The picture is slightly blurry. That's not the fabric. It's me.




This is the early morning view from the living room of our accommodations. We are staying in a B & B only our part is a two bedroom basement suite with a kitchen, living room with a fireplace, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It's quite wonderful, quite relaxing.

While here, it was payday. I looked online at my bank account and there was the deposit from work. I know it's not much, minimum wage, but how delightful to see a deposit every two weeks. It's been a long time. YES YES

Monday morning, I will drive Caroline to the airport for her six 0'clock flight and then catch an early ferry to the mainland. That will give me time to go to Dress Sew in Vancouver once we dock. Apparently, it's a wonderful world of "stuff". I'll tell you all about it later. Since I've already bought so much fabric - and have a lot at home too - I will focus on buttons and trims and other delightful details.

Talk soon, Myrna

Grateful - paydays

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend!! I can't wait to see the finished dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a lovely retreat. I adore the dress--the fabric you selected is charming. I can't wait to see the final review. What pattern is it? I like the color blocks.

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so nice to see you again, and to meet Caroline.

    You're on the road now, or approaching Dress Sew and I hope you find some treasures there.

    Looking forward to reading more of your wonderful posts into the details of sewing, and life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely fabrics--I love paisleys, too. I'm glad to hear the workshop is worth the travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hope you had a good experience at Dressew. Did you find any spiral steel boning?

    ReplyDelete