_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Further From The Truth

One of my friends had a birthday on Sunday. We went for coffee yesterday to celebrate. In the past year, she has talked many times about things that she would do if she wasn't afraid so I bought her a present to encourage and motivate stretching her boundaries. This poem by Mary Anne Radmacher was perfect.




Last year, when I was figuring out my sloper, it felt like I was drowning in paper and muslin. Yesterday had some similarities. I started out with a muslin that fit okay and in the process of tweaking it, ended up further from the truth with...




... a crooked messed up surprise. That's because everything changes everything when you're working with the software. THIS is not going to settle nicely onto my body no how, even with a skirt attached. That's how the "fascinating" shape of the side front translated into real life. This angle kept showing up when I drafted in the dress option. When I draft....




... in the blouse option, that space is filled in so I'm going to tweak the numbers one more time and try that next. Later. Either tonight or tomorrow but most likely tomorrow because today is my first eight hour shift at work. I'm going to be exhausted tonight. My feet are already hurting. I'm definitely not used to standing for that length of time. On Sunday, I worked five hours and took two different pairs of shoes with varying heel heights and changed halfway through like I used to do when I was a hair stylist. That worked great. I'll do it again today.

This is my fourth shift. It's not as if I really know yet however, after several years of definitely not knowing which way is up, life is feeling a little more settled. I'm enjoying getting dressed and going out to work. I'm enjoying arriving at work, greeting my co-workers, and talking with customers. It's fun to see what they're buying and what they're sewing and it has been fabulous to meet so many people who do what I do. Working gives me something to do, gets me out of the house, motivates some of my sewing, and provides some income. It was a good idea and part time seems - so far - a good balance between home and work. It keeps me busy in both places and I like to be busy. I function so much better that way.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - I know what I'm wearing to work and making for dinner and my lunch is already made.

1 comment:

  1. I've just come in from shoveling snow and ice and I wanted to comment because I am afraid that I will forget later...that happens to me a lot lately. I am glad you are happy with your work and I know you will get used to the new schedule soon enough.

    I had to stop by to say your muslin photo made me smile. I've so been there....

    ReplyDelete