_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 10 February 2011

She Has Presence

Yesterday, I stood and cut fabric for eight hours straight and then right past closing time because there was still a line-up three deep at the table. It was so busy, and there were so many bolts piled around me, that it felt as if I was drowning in fabric at times. It's an interesting perspective on this thing that I love.

Right now, the store is in a mall, next to a gym, down from Starbucks, and across from McDonald's. If it weren't moving, I might consider a gym membership although perhaps it's not necessary since my body is already getting a twisting and bending, lifting and leaning, workout. My feet didn't hurt quite as much last night. This is good, especially as next week I work two eight hour shifts back to back.

Last week and this, I read for thirty minutes before work at the McDonald's. Both times, the place was crammed - as in every table is full - with seniors. They were either chatting in groups, sitting in couples, or reading the newspaper alone at their table. Apparently, it's the meeting place.

Both weeks I noticed an attractive, well dressed, woman - a senior who stands out in a crowd of seniors. There's something about her that draws your eye. She has presence. Both times, I was reading and looked up and immediately honed in on this particular woman. The first time, it was her coat and how she put it on to leave, slowly, carefully, immaculately getting every aspect just so, her movements graceful and sure.

This time, she arrived wearing smooth fitting jeans tucked into knee high, burnt umber, suede boots with a short, black, lambskin coat that she removed as slowly and carefully as she'd put the previous one on. Her hair is mostly white, streaked with black, every strand in place, styled in a modern cut to go with her designer glasses. She doesn't wear make-up. I wondered about that as it would have completed her look but then, I love make-up.

They took a booth. Her husband sat down to read the paper. She read a fashion magazine.

I wonder about my generation. Will we evolve into a bunch of curly haired grannies like the rest of the room or will we maintain a sense of style and presence as this woman has? While I think what you wear and how you look is partly about your fashion personality and your interests, already, at nearly fifty, many of the woman I know are "letting themselves go" to use an old phrase. To each our choice. Me? I find this woman inspiring. I want to age in a similar way. I would have loved to sit down with her and talk about life and fashion and style and aging. I imagine we'd have a lot to talk about.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - less sore feet

8 comments:

  1. I think you should go talk to her! I'm sure she'd appreciate the compliment of your notice and I suspect you would have much in common. Even in my generation - the 30-somethings - there are so many women who I feel are already letting go. Really, how hard is it to put on nice jeans and a sweater instead of ratty sweats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to say that I wouldn't let myself go...but I have been known to go out of the house in a sweatsuit with my hair in a ponytail. I've never really paid much attention to fashion. Trends don't appeal to me which is strange because I love to sew. I need to replenish my wardrobe with more classic casual clothing because I only resort to sweats when I don't have anything I like to wear. I've never really thought about this before so thanks for posting on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please go and talk to her. I'm sure it will thrill her to realise that she's been noticed. After a certain age women in particular tend to become invisible. You might make a new friend and that's no bad thing.
    brenda in the boro UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with the above gals. Go and talk with her! Let her hear that you've noticed her style and beauty. You'll make her day or possibly her month - I know it would for me if a stranger approached me with a compliment -and I'm only 50. A compliment is great to hear at any age. BTW, your linen dress looks gorgeous. You've inspired me to shop for some green linen. :-) Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always wonderful to see someone who makes an effort to look good. Do strike up a conversation with this lady (if that's possible) - perhaps she'll have some pearls of wisdom to impart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the others who said you should speak to this lady and compliment her if you see her again. Sounds like she's trying very hard not to be an invisible old lady and loves clothes as much as you do!

    I was interested in your comment about her lack of makeup. I personally can't wear cosmetics (allergy and skin issues) and don't miss them one bit. I think that women are much more beautiful "unpainted" and natural. Perhaps you, like so many it seems, have just gotten used to the made-up look as "normal"? It's an fascinating (and controversial) subject anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time you see her you should tell her you find her inspiring. I'm sure that would make her day. Like Carrie, I found myself eyeing off a linen blend fabric in green yesterday after seeing your dress. I'll try not to copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After a week in the humidity of Mexico, I'm feeling like one of those "curly-haired" grannies. I knew straightening my hair there would be useless.

    I'm hoping to age well, too. Sometimes it's a question of mind over matter - I need to just take a bit of time to care for myself!

    Looking forward to seeing you and Caroline on Friday. Will email.

    ReplyDelete