_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 1 February 2011

My Subconsious Is Always Sewing

When Friday's posting - Am I Having Fun Doing What I Do For Fun - did not receive more comments, I was surprised. I had hoped to generate a conversation about why we do what we do - sew - because we love it - because we can't help ourselves - for whatever aspect you particularly enjoy.

Yesterday, I received an email from a friend who said I sounded down in that posting. Wow! No. Not at all. What I was trying to say is that even when I'm surrounded by piles of paper, and miles of muslins, and trying to fit a moving target, I am having fun. This is what I do. Playing with fabric is my thing. I've been sewing for thirty-six years and I'm more interested in sewing now than ever. I love to sew more than I love to read. I love to read more than I love to knit. In fact, I love to write and possibly paint more than I love to knit BUT, no matter what else I love to do, I love to sew most of all.

Even though we all sew, our favourite aspects could vary greatly. What is fun for one person may not be fun for another. I dislike sewing for other people except on the very rare occasion and I dislike extreme repetitiveness although I enjoy the satisfaction of a tedious job well done like twelve pairs of panties. I'd rather sew a complete new garment than mend one which might seem strange considering how fascinated I am with refashioning, however, they're two different things to me. One is mundane and the other artistic.

I love new theories and techniques. I love figuring out technical details like the fit of my sloper, how to make pattern adjustments, how to work with the Pattern Master Boutique software, and how to use the software along with Lynda Maynard's fitting techniques from her book DeMystifying Fit to achieve really great fit. It's like research. I adore it. Questions like...





... how would I alter the seam line on this pattern to get rid of this "back boob" can consume me for minutes or hours. In this case....




... quickly pinning out the excess shows the answer. It's not always that easy. One thing I really appreciated about all the work I did with Pattern Master Boutique last year was learning how wide MY shoulders are, the shape of MY armhole, MY center back and center front length, MY bust shape, and other MY answers. These answers help me tremendously.




The print out that I found has also helped tremendously even though the seam lines aren't exactly the same. It showed the torso length as well as the shape and width of the shoulders and the shape and depth of the armhole. Above, you can see that I needed to alter the shoulder line and narrow the shoulder width on this McCalls 6035 pattern. That's the one I was working with the D cup on to help adjust Vogue 8667. It's also a pattern that I've sewn before and when I made these changes last time, it fit like wonderful.

All this technical how-to fascinates me on a level that doesn't appeal to everyone. I know for a fact that not all of you are interested in perfecting fit to the degree that I am and some of you think I'm certifiably crazy. That's okay. Perhaps I am. But it's not hurting anyone and it's a kind of crazy I enjoy. Like yesterday...

... after working on the pattern for several more hours, I sewed another bodice muslin for the Vogue 8667 dress and it was still not where I wanted it to be. Fitting the dress has become a challenge. Not the sewing. The fit. The sewing is very basic which is why I'm so focused on the fit. One thing I learned with textile art is that simple is not easy. When a design has clean lines and simple structures, there are less places to hide and a stronger need for good design skills. With fashion sewing, that translates to a stronger need for good fit.

What I am trying to accomplish with the muslin is a level waist at the correct height, a well placed full bust adjustment, and a close fit with just the right amount of ease to flatter while allowing me room to breathe and move. I've tried several different routes to the answer and I'm very close. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle that consumes my mind. I pick up each piece and turn it this way and that to see how it fits together with the whole. It's a different form of distracted. I'll be walking, cleaning, cooking, or performing some other repetitive task and my mind will be working on the issue. My subconscious is always sewing.

As I contemplate one approach versus another, I am learning and that - for me - is fun. You would be excused for thinking I'm obsessive compulsive after all, it has taken me over a week so far and I haven't even finished the muslin yet although - to be fair - I started a new job in that same week but - even so - so what. There's no rush. How long this might take doesn't bother me. What would bother me would be to abandon the learning. I have a strong need to know and I'm unlikely to put the project down until I either answer the question or absolutely have to for other reasons, like I'm leaving town, which I am in a couple of weeks.




Last night, I reloaded the Pattern Master Boutique software, re-entered my chart with the info on the print out that I found, and drafted a waist length bodice for a dress with armscye princess seams. Look at the interesting shape of the front side bodice. Isn't that waist angle fascinating?

I haven't cut out the pieces or started sewing yet but my mind is already turning that shape around and around seeing if it works and how it works and wondering how I'll use that information in the future AND... as I'm working this through... my subconscious is saying hey, the software is working again, you could use a shoulder princess seam instead ? ? ? ? and my mind tickles. What if I use an armscye princess seam in the front and a shoulder princess seam in the back. That would give me lovely lines. I love those tickles more than simply sewing seams AND.... once I've perfected this pattern... my mind will tickle with all kinds of ideas for designing variations. YES YES - what fun!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the software is working again.

8 comments:

  1. I sew because I love it, too. It is my passion. However, I don't sew for myself or other adults. Rather, I sew for my grandchildren and occasionally others' grandchildren. I make a few "things", but that's not my thing.
    I love to read, write, knit, crochet (the last two are recent additions), paint, do paper cut art, etc.....
    Good luck with your fitting issues. It looks like a challenge that you are going to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of this post is so resonant for me. (I remember the post to which you refer here and I wanted to comment but I've been extremely busy lately and I just didn't have a moment.) You always write so thoughtfully, my comments should have the same level of integrity, IMO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't comment on the other post because Goggle makes me sign in everytime I go to post a comment and this plucks my nerves when I'm tired. Sewing challenges and relaxes me. It is soothing to my soul.

    I'm glad to see you working with PMB. The software has made it much easier for me to get a decent fit. Shoulder princess seams are my best friend. Most of my garments are drafted using the software. For the past few months, I've been working on tweaking the drafts to get a set of TNT patterns. I keep playing with my measurements and it is interesting to see how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna, thanks again for yet another thought-provoking question. Am I having fun doing what I do for fun? Well... I guess my answer, like my answer to many questions, is "yes, but..." Yes, but all the clutter in my sewing room is reducing the fun factor! I come to this realization late, as the floor space shrinks ;-)

    I always want to move on to the next project, try something new (will I ever learn to sew that slippery poly fabric????), but I'm thinking that a couple of hours per week need to be dedicated to decluttering and freeing the space that I worked out when taking your "studio design" class.

    Anyone else in this boat with me? I'm sure thinking there must be!

    Good luck with those achy bits, that lovely sweater and the fitting. Thanks for the continuing inspiration!

    Joyce P in WI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna, I love your blog. This post is a reflection of my sewing attitude as well. For me, fit is everything! Without good fit, why bother sewing?

    After more than a half century of personal sewing history, I learn something new everytime I take up needle and thread.....and Yes, I am still having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to sew. Reading is like breathing to me. This post is so on point for me. I'm learning how to sew garments that fit me. I want to know a lot about it because it's like a 3D puzzle. Why this fitting technique works for this garment rather than another will keep me interested in a project. Sewing well fitting garments is a process that I truly enjoy. That's not to say that I don't get frustrated when my knowledge base has been depleted and I still don't know why it doesn't fit. Bra sewing is like that for me at this point but I don't give up because gaining knowledge is as much fun for me as buying fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I found your blog! You voiced my very own thoughts here. I sew in myv sleep,I design in my sleep. I, too, have the same pattern making software, though and I hate it. I've had it for several years and have never been able to figure it out. Ofcourse, may be if I had the time to figure it out . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love to sew, too! I love the process and figuring out how to solve problems as they come up. And, speaking of the love of sewing, have you found www.WeAllSew.com yet?

    ReplyDelete