_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 31 January 2011

Fit A Moving Target

Saturday afternoon, while looking for something else, I found a print-out of my final Pattern Master Boutique chart and the pattern for a darted blouse. It wasn't perfectly, exactly, what I needed but sufficient to allow comparisons on the center front and center back length, the shoulder width, and the shoulder angle. Quite helpful actually.


The something else I was looking for was McCalls 6035, a blouse that I made twice last April. Normally, it would be in the pattern cabinet only - for some strange reason - while the envelope was there, there were no pattern tissues inside. I kept trying to figure out what I'd done with them, where they might be. They weren't in the drawer with the other muslins but the print out was. You win some; you lose some.

McCalls 6035 has separate pattern pieces for cup sizes A, B, C, and D and princess seam lines like the Vogue 8667 dress that is frustrating me to bits. My thought was to compare the seam lines on the bodice to make sure I was shaping them correctly. I picked the pattern up after work yesterday so I can do that today in-between other errands.

I sewed another muslin on Saturday thinking that it would be the last. When I put it on, the bust was now too big and the waist was too tight especially across the front. You would think I'd know my measurements but it's like trying to fit a moving target. Last weekend, when Barb was here and I sewed the dress pants, my waist measured 33.5". This Saturday, it measured 35" and Sunday morning when I woke up, it measured 32.5". Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! ! !

When you hear people talking about their waist size fluctuating significantly, it's true. 2 1/2" is significant. It spans several dress sizes. When this happens to me, it usually means I've been eating foods I shouldn't be, which I have been, because it's easier and less boring. However... it also gives me a screaming headache, numerous other symptoms, and extra fitting frustrations. Not a good idea.

SO... today... I'll try that last muslin on again to see what's happening with the waist now that I'm not all puffed up. Then, I'll compare the McCalls 6035 bodice pieces with the Vogue 8667 ones for the bust shaping, and after that, try, try again. It would be nice to get to sewing "real" fabric some time soon.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - while occasionally I think enough now, just get on with it and I'm frustrated with myself for my way of being, mostly I am glad that I'm persistent in figuring out issues because the learning is tremendous.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I doubt that you were laughing while struggling with the fit. I'm sure that your efforts will give you great results!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pattern is now on sale at Pattern Review for $2.99. Patterns are never this cheap in Australia -so I had a 10 pattern buying binge. Great with the Aussie $ so high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McCalls 6035 is a great pattern. It's one blouse I've had great success with.

    ReplyDelete