_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 25 January 2011

A Feeling Fat Kind Of Day

Halfway through taking pictures yesterday, the phone rang. It was my brother, calling from back east. Since it was going to be a long conversation, Barb took the rest of the pictures while I was talking on the phone. With one hand in the air, they're a little bit wonky. Also not helped by the fact that it was also a bloated, feeling fat, kind of day. My stomach seemed to stick a mile straight out. Sigh. Oh well.




LOVE the back of the skirt. It's flirty feminine and swishes and twirls as I move. The knit fabric is very comfortable and....




... it's surprisingly figure conforming even though there is plenty of ease. Those wrinkles below the top annoy me. That's the protruding tummy. The hem appears flat until you wear the skirt. Then it looks rippled. I'm not sure what to do about that. Since it's only serged and turned, interfacing wasn't an option. Any suggestions?




I lightened these pictures of the black pants so you could see the details. I think they're too long and may end up taking another inch off the bottom. The polyester was a nightmare to sew with however, the resulting pants are holding their shape a lot better than the other pair. The back...




... pant leg was caught on my shoe creating an extra wrinkle otherwise, I'm fairly happy with how these look. They are really comfortable. The front crotch seems to need a little more tweaking. It's a bit bubble-ish. I know there's some info about dealing with that in Pants For Real People. You can see this more clearly on the grey pair below.




The grey fabric is a rayon-polyester-spandex blend that is really comfortable to wear and already stretching out. The pants feel like the front crotch especially needs to be raised. I'm going to wear them around the house for a day and see what I think before taking them out in public. I might be taking off the waistband and raising everything up a bit. I really like the back of these even though this fabric is more clingy.




I sewed two muslins yesterday. One is great. I'm perfecting and fine tuning it and hope to sew the "real" garment soon. The other is a throwaway. Totally not what I was hoping for. More about that later. This morning, Kyle has a doctor's appointment. While he's doing that, Barb and I are going out for breakfast just down the road. And then... it'll be time for her to head home. I'm going to miss her and I will be glad of some time to myself before my first day of work tomorrow ! ! !

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a productive weekend

6 comments:

  1. So your BIG day is tomorrow. Good luck and remember a job is only fun if it isn't really a job. I love my work so much that when I get into the groove it no longer qualifies as work or a job.
    I love the black slacks. They are lovely. I do agree that they need a little shortening. Just remember that you cannot add on what you cut. It is a little like cutting the tail of a puppy a little at a time. It hurts the puppy but you get the tail right every time. LOL
    Have fun tomorrow. Welcome to the working force.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you didn't tell us! After all the posts about looking for work, all the impact it will have on you, YOU DIDN"T TELL US.

    Well CONGRATULATIONS. Do have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have days where we don't like the way we look. It sounds like you've had a productive time with your friend. I hope tomorrow goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a terrific first day at the new job. I too think the black pants fit wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could it be that you're feeling a tad self-critical today? The points of contention you mention are so miniscule, I've no doubt they're only visible in a stark photocall, and that all the garments look perfect in actual wear. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember feel confident is more than half way to looking great. Hold you head up and wear your garments with deserved pride.

    ReplyDelete