_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Bra By Bra

A bra isn't hard to sew. The steps are basic and repetitive. What makes a bra both hard to sew and absolutely wonderful is the customized fit and the details. The fit of a bra - as with any other garment - can take a lot of practice to perfect. I took the bra making workshop in October 2009 and have been sewing bras intermittently ever since. The steps come naturally now and I'm working out the details, slowly, bra by bra. My sewn bras now fit way better than any purchased one.

When my daughter was home for Christmas, I sewed two bras for her making adjustments to the samples that I had previously mailed and which she - thankfully - remembered to bring so I could see them in person. Having an actual body in front of me was much easier. I'm about to sew one further sample, mail it, get feedback, and if it's good, go head and sew her a selection. Our agreement was that I'd perfect the pattern, sew the first set, give her the pattern, and after that, she's on her own. With the fit figured out, the skill level will be well within her capabilities.

What I found interesting with my daughter, myself, and my friend is that we all wear a particular size with the lower cup a size smaller. That sounds confusing. What I mean is that I wear a D upper cup and an altered C lower cup. The lower cup is the height of a C and the width of a D which eliminates the flat, hollow spot at the bottom of the cup above the underwires and provides better fit. Strange that three of us would have the same adjustment. I wonder if it's actually quite common. I had worked out this adjustment with my previous bras. Testing this new pattern, I made the same adjustment and it worked. YES YES




I've learned that it is absolutely, vitally, critically, important that the bridge does NOT stretch. The bridge secures the cups and holds them in place, which in turn keeps the bust in place. All kinds of adjustments might be needed for proper fit but in the end, no matter what the size or shape, the bridge must not stretch. For this bra, I used a piece of cotton fused with non-stretch interfacing and then covered with the fashion fabric. No stretch whatsoever. It worked so well that I will interface some black and white yardage to use in subsequent bras.




One of the Kwik Sew bra patterns I have uses bias tape for the channeling instead of purchased channeling. What I liked about this method is that you pin the tape to the seam and stitch on the previous lines. It's much easier than aligning the channeling over the seam which is the more common method. I was concerned that the channeling might be too lightweight. It's not. There's sufficient bulk with the woven fabric and the seam allowances underneath.

In the image above, the channeling was made from bias strips cut 1 and 5/8" wide and then pressed in half lengthwise. If you look carefully at the bottom right of the picture, you'll see that the top stitching that holds the channeling in place slightly missed the bottom edge. It's because of the turn of the cloth. The seam between the bridge and the band is underneath and that area is quite thick.

The 1 and 5/8" bias strips were already wider than what Kwik Sew had recommended. Their width was based on mathematics and didn't include the bulk of the seam allowances or the turn of the fabric. Next time, I'll cut my strips 1 and 7/8" wide. If I like how that works, I'll precut and press white and black strips for future projects. The bias is made from a woven fabric which makes me wonder if a knit could do just as well because bias and knit are both stretchy. Something else to try.




Another thing I've learned is that the underwires need to come to the top of the bridge in order to prevent the bridge from lifting forward. I know that a lot of women do not like underwires and find them uncomfortable. Having tried on bras with and without them, with is more supportive. My guess is that if you find them uncomfortable, you are wearing the wrong size because when the bra and the underwires are the correct size and the bra cup and supporting wires are correctly positioned, you can't even feel that they are there. I think that's another difference between making do with RTW and a custom sewn garment.




Because the t-shirt fabric I used was so stretchy, I could cover the band fabric with it. That's a fun touch. My entire bra is both pretty and practical. There are quite a few t-shirt knits in my stash that just might become bras. Often there are more than enough scraps left after cutting out the garment. I could end up with a whole bunch of tops and matching bra/panty sets. Too fun.




This pattern is Elan 645. What I like about it is the range of sizes from a 32A to a 42DD. That covers me, my daughter, and most of my friends and makes sharing/teaching in the studio easy. I also like the low bridge and the minimal band. These tend to fit better, especially for the larger sizes, and don't roll easily if you curve out immediately below the bust as some women do. The cups can be made with either a lace as shown or fabric with trim as I've done. The instructions are slightly disconcerting. They refer to two views although only one is shown. That took a bit of figuring out.




Here's the front again in case you've forgotten from yesterday. This one would be "bowable" if I had a white one. I only sew a bow on when I'm really pleased with how the bra turned out. I need to figure out how to make my own bows. The bought ones are ridiculously expensive.

Yesterday, I test drove a car in a snowstorm which turned out to be just perfect because it was an all wheel drive car and you need snow and slippery to test that feature. On Sunday, when Howard was taking the boys to visit his parents, he only made it about 20km out of town in our van and had to limp back. The transmission wouldn't move out of second gear. We've been expecting this to happen. It's common to this model and the van is REALLY old. We'd hoped there was one last trip in it as his parents had some larger items stored for him to bring home that wouldn't fit in our car. It was not to be. Luckily, they were close to home and could exchange vehicles.

A few months ago, another "sign of the times" happened so we knew the end was coming and have been looking for an all wheel drive Matrix only they are incredibly hard to find, used, at a good price. We found lots of other cars but maintenance costs and ease of repair are important to Howard and good gas mileage and all wheel drive are important to me, especially AWD as I'll be driving over the mountains to Nanaimo in a few weeks to take another workshop. Our van was AWD. Without it, I'm not at all confident to travel in winter.

We found one with low mileage that is a rental car about to be decommissioned. It was brought down from Terrace (about fourteen hours north) for us to look at. After the test drive, we bought it and Howard will pick it up later today. It's a plain Jane model just like I wanted, no bells and whistles, just power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, and a stereo. Good and enough. Unfortunately, it's also white which is great at night and in the summer and sort of invisible in a snow storm, like yesterday. It snowed ALL DAY. The car did great.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - finding the right car at an affordable price

7 comments:

  1. You always have such cute fabrics! Is this a cotton knit?

    I'm trying to get back in the swing of bramaking myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post with great tips!! Once my size stabilizes I want to try this. Your bras are always so cute, and who can argue with the benefit of a custom fit?
    Congrats on finding a good car for y'all. It can be so difficult to find just what you need without a bunch of stuff you don't want to pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Myrna.

    I also have that same flat space at the bottom of my bra cups. It's as though I need a smaller height on the bottom half just like you described. If I wear a B cup, the cups aren't wide enough and I have a depression line at the top of the cup where it is too tight against me. When I go to a C cup, I get a perfect, invisible bra except for maybe almost a quarter inch of flatness at the bottom of each cup. Maybe it is more common than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is my favourite one so far! I love the idea of using bias tape to make the channeling. And the dots are adorable. Great job. I'm going to think about what you're saying about the lower cup being a size smaller. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of us who love color, a white car is so boring. But as one who has a white Toyota for similar reasons, there are benefits to white cars. When they are clean, they look so nice. And the insurance is cheaper on white cars because they get in less accidents.

    Bras... I am one of those gals who hates underwire bras. I think it is not due to fit, but that's a possibility. I actually think it's due to flat-ness. As in not much there to lift and support, so the wire is uncomfortable.

    Your dot bra is so pretty. I look forward to seeing what you do with bras in the days to come.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's an easy way to make tiny bows: Buy the smallest washable ribbon you can find, and make sure you like the look of both sides. Then make a simple loop off to the left side of the ribbon, hold it in place with your left hand while you make a mirror-image loop to its right. Adjust this simple bow until it's how you like it, and tack the center in place; this center spot is a great place to use a sew-on washable rhinestone or other beading or a bit of hand-embroidery for a unique detail. (Swarovski Sew On's rock my world.) Trim the free ends and touch with fray-check if you wish. This method eliminates the little knot usually found in the center of bows, which allows it to sit flatter under clothing, or showcase something more interesting/sparkly. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's that gorgeous bra again!. Interesting about the cup fit, the smaller lower cup. I think I have the opposite problem, in that I overfill the lower part and under fill the upper part in many bras. I am intrigued now and you have made me think.

    I also have that problem with curving out immediately below the bust line and will keep this pattern in mind for when I do start bra-making.

    ReplyDelete