_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Glaringly Tedious

THE cold hasn't decided whether to show up fully or not... yet. It's still tickling my throat and nose and ears and making me somewhat uncomfortable but not totally miserable... yet. It's looking more and more like I've simply delayed the inevitable in which case, I'd prefer to get it over with. Since no one asked me, there's no choice but to wait and see what happens. You know how it goes.




I recently bought Vogue 1208, a Tom and Linda Platt dress pattern. It's deceptively simple and doesn't appear to have more than two pattern pieces although there must be four since it's lined. Bias cut dresses do not typically look good on my figure type. They cling and we're too curvy, lumpy, bumpy especially below the waist. Oh well. I love that flip at the bottom of the skirt and the shape of the neckline. I can try it and see. A little daring wouldn't hurt me.



Yesterday, I was determined to keep my butt in the seat until I finished these twelve pairs of panties. The advantages of assembly line sewing are obvious; the disadvantages are glaringly tedious. I sewed the crotch seams with the serger pressing them outward. This is how my RTW ones were sewn. It's less bulky than an enclosed seam. I sampled that earlier. The leg elastic was sewn in place, turned to the back, and double top stitched on each side - 48 rows in total. The waist is stretch lace. Soft. The side seams were sewn on the regular machine. The serger wouldn't travel nicely over the elastic and I wasn't willing to settle for a mess. This is something to figure out in the future.

Why sew twelve pairs of panties, especially in boring black? The first answer would be I needed them. The second would be because I couldn't find any in town that I liked and was willing to pay the price for, everything was between $12 and $18 a pair which equals between $144 and $216 plus taxes... for underwear... basic underwear... nothing fun or flashy. The cost of the fabric was $6.00 a meter on sale and each meter made 4 1/2 pairs which is $1.33 a pair plus thread, elastic, and lace which was also bought on sale. I doubt they even cost $2.00 each. And the third reason? It kept me entertained.

I'd intended for January to be lingerie month but I've begun to rethink that idea. It's fun to sew a bra and panty set here and there. It's boring to make them one after the other. I have a turquoise set to finish for myself and another sample bra to make and mail to my daughter and then I think I'll take a break. A friend has started a private once a month sew-a-long. That seems like a better idea.




The picture above was taken almost two years ago at my retirement party. I wanted to celebrate my twenty year career in quilting and textile art and my decision to bring it to an end and move in new directions. I'd like to say the party was a new beginning and in a way it was except that it was the beginning of a long stretch of greyness during which I have been unsure about what I should be doing, what direction God wants me to move in. He's neither opening nor closing doors. It's frustrating. The endless unknowing is a bit difficult at times. I wish he'd just speak louder into the mike - LOL!

I know I need to value this gift of creative time. At some point, it will be gone. That thought tickles and it's filled with pressure. My low productivity has begun to irritate me. At one time, I sewed a queen size quilt, start to finish, in a week while writing a manuscript, teaching several classes, and running a home. Now, I'm having trouble finishing even the simplest of projects and - IMHO - have not enough to show for my time. When I see how much some other women are producing while working full time and raising a family, my slowness makes no sense except that it makes complete sense when you have no deadlines. Meaningless meandering is a common condition of the underemployed. As I soon as I get over this sort of cold, I need to change that.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the panties are finished

7 comments:

  1. Ah it's once again economical to sew! For a long time I advised others if you want to save money go to Walmart. But yes even WM panties are about $6 a pair, bras about $14 and they last about 3 months. It is once again economical to sew.

    As for the greyness, maybe you're supposed to be retired. To be enjoying life. To be enjoy the time you have with your family. I don't believe God says no. He says: this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a very productive day at the machine and it was a cost saving project.
    I had a great visit to the sleep clinic, hit the sales, did grocery shopping and home. No sewing yesterday but a little creative planning last night.
    I understand you about meaningless meandering of the underemployed. I have that feeling even though I have a part time job that isn't what I thought it would be. My mind is active and needs to be involved in what I am trained in. But that won't happen so I am working on the sewing things we do and it is taking off.
    Hope you are feeling well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes when I am not thrilled at where I am in my life, I ask what lesson am I suppose to be learning? You may be where God wants you to be right now, it probably doesn't sit well with you because it is not want you are use to doing. One of the lessons that I have to keep reminding myself is to have patience as God directs where he wants me to go.

    I can relate to some of what you are feeling. I am in this struggle with the job that I have. I love the work but not the crap that comes with it. God has sent some signals that things may change in the future but for right now, I think that I'm suppose to stand still. I think that the lesson that I am suppose to be learning is that work is not the most important thing in my life and to refocus on my family and home. I am coming to terms with the changes in my life direction and it is not easy. Your writing gives my food for thought and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once made 5 pairs of identical pants (different colors, well three were black, one brown and one I don't remember what color) in a row, and it was so tedious that I will never do it again for anything, including panties, no matter how much I need them. Better one or two here and there between other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My personal max is 3 pairs in a day. Even though I need more black panties, I can't bring myself to sit down and spend an entire afternoon at them. The problem is that they come out exactly as expected, that's so boring I can't get started.

    I've definitely decided that the best way for me is to squeeze a pair out of the leftovers of whatever t-shirt I'm making, if the fabric's at all suitable. So I don't match, it's not a tragedy. In fact, I've started buying some really wild knits that I couldn't possibly wear as a work t-shirt to make undies. Makes me feel better when I'm work-respectable :-)..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Myrna! I don't know if I have commented in the past, but I really enjoy your blog. I was wondering what fabric you used for your panties. I plan on making a bunch myself. I bought some elastic from Sassy Sewing (I think that's the name) I was considering using some of my husband's old T-shirts. What, if any, suggestions do you have for me? I have a serger and sewing machine but no cover stitch. Did you use a cover stitch? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Myrna! I can't wait to start on them but I must finish my current project first. That's my rule. If I don't finish my current project, I end up with UFO's everywhere!

    ReplyDelete