_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Book End

When I walked into Fabricland yesterday, I couldn't believe the number of people in there. There must have been an extra good sale going on because there were long line ups in the cotton section buying quilting fabrics at 50% off. I don't normally pay attention to that section so this was either better than normal or people wanted to get what they wanted before it was sold out.

While waiting in line to have my fabric cut, I overheard that they've already put out all the zippers in stock. The needles are severely picked over with only a few left. The thread is starting to look sparse. Apparently, nothing new will be ordered until they are in the new location - in April. There is going to be a LOT of frustration in town when people can't find the notions they need and...

... I'm going to be a part of that frustration both as a consumer and as an employee. The manager called yesterday afternoon and I'm hired starting next week. It's somewhat ironic that working at Fabricland will book end my child rearing years. I worked there six months before my first child was born and I'll be working there six months before my last child graduates.




I used a piece of the crinkle taffeta left from my Christmas skirt to make the waistband on the purple knit skirt. The colors are in the same family even though they look like distant cousins in this image. What cameras do to color is always intriguing. The two fabrics below also go together really well. In real life, the blue/black/purple print has WAY MORE purple. I bought them to co-ordinate.




I used the taffeta for the waistband because there was just enough of the skirt fabric left to combine with another fabric and sew a co-ordinated top. I already own Vogue 8649 below. The slimness of the waist with the gathers of the upper garment would be excellent for my bottom heavy figure. I'm not sure about those cut on sleeves though. Perhaps. Perhaps not. Perhaps with shoulder pads.




I like Butterick 5497 below even better, especially the print view with the prissier front and the open back. Fabricland will not be getting in any patterns at all - not even the new ones. Realizing that, I was "forced" to take advantage of the latest BMV club sale to order this pattern... and a few more... ten... which you know that I know that I don't really need. Like that stops any of us. At this rate, I'll need to clean out my pattern cabinet and make room. It's getting quite full and there are some "what were you thinking" patterns in there that could move along.


I didn't take the serger in yesterday so I'd like to do that today and then make a trip to the grocery store. After that, I plan to start sewing at least one, hopefully two, pairs of dress pants suitable for work. I also want to redo the hem on the purple skirt. I turned it up the 1 1/4" provided and machine stitched it in place and I think it's too bulky. I'd prefer to serge, turn, and top stitch along the edge.

I'm quite excited about going back to work, about sewing a work wardrobe, about having some structure to my schedule, and about getting out and meeting people who love to do what I do. The paycheque seems almost like a bonus because even though it's a minimum wage job, this will be the first time in a long time that I can count on a specific amount of income.

For our family finances, minimum wage works well right now. That income will be more my spending, decorating, keep busy money than our survival money. I'm thankful for that and, at the same time, I'm aware that for others that minimum wage is critical and making ends meet is a real struggle. There's a lot of talk about raising the minimum wage. I'm not sure how that would help. Briefly. Maybe. And then that increase would be passed on to the consumer again and that higher minimum wage would remain a struggle. It has happened in the past. It's one of those tough questions. I'm not going to try and solve it. I'm going to use what I have as wisely as I can and improve that ability with time. That's the best I can do.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a job that seems perfect for this time in my life

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being hired and best of luck! I'm really happy and excited for you! Who knows where this is going to lead you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting the job. As if there was any question about it. I am sure that the management know you as a customer.

    Funny that you worked there before. That actually should work in to your advantage.

    Are you going to be able to keep up your blog? I do not want to miss a minute of your working world and sewing world.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for months but not been able to leave a comment before. I'm so pleased for you. Well done with the new job . I love to see what you sew and what works well as I have a similar figure to yours.
    best wishes
    Brenda in the Boro UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrad, those are some lucky customers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fantastic news, M! I'm so happy you have new work to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warmest congrats on the hire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Myrna! The customers at Fabricland are so fortunate to have an accomplished sewer and fiber artist to ask for advice. I know you will be blest and a blessing in this latest endeavor. Hugs, Charmion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Sounds like the timing was just right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new job! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I imagine that they were just thrilled to have someone with your knowledge and experience. I wish I could come and shop there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on getting the job. I am sure they will be thrilled to have you and it will be fun to be working doing something you love so much and helping others with the same interests.

    ReplyDelete
  12. More congratulations on the job hire, it will be very frustrating until they move into their new store but hopefully they have plans in place to keep everyone happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your job! I've always thought I would enjoy working at a fabric (or yarn) store (trained as an accountant, currently working with small children...I know, go figure!)

    I've also got the Vogue 8649 pattern, and either I can't measure or the different front patterns have way more ease than I need. I got as far as a muslin last summer, but haven't re-visited this one - YMMV.

    Jean M. aka Watcher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! What a perfect place to work :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yippee! I knew you'd get the job.

    Please keep blogging. Don't get too busy with your new job so that you do not have time to share your sewing stories. The job ought to include some stories as well.

    Wishing I lived near your Fabricland.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete