_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 4 January 2011

A Polka Dot Parade Of Pieces

Sometimes, when I was making an art piece, I would challenge myself to keep using the accumulating scraps to make another piece and then another and then another until I either ran out of energy, ideas, or scraps. This continuity of work was a form of endless combinations that resulted not in a co-ordinated wardrobe but in a body of work connected through a common fabric. It was one way of pushing my inner artist as well as creating a cohesive set of exhibit pieces.

There's something fun about pushing a particular fabric as far as you can take it especially if the direction you're heading in is not the one you originally bought the fabric for. I've created a polka dot parade of pieces from a t-shirt knit originally bought for a wrap dress.




It started in December with these pajama pants. I will never again make flannelet pj's. These are so comfortable. The only thing I'd do differently next time is shorten the crotch depth and stabilize the crotch seam. It stretches. I'd also make the pant legs slightly longer. They "spring" up. The elastic waist and the lettuce edge hem are soft, feminine, flattering, and comfy. Very lounge a lady.




By cutting out the pants to one side of the yardage, there was a long strip left. I sewed it into a neck ring planning to make a matching t-shirt as a few others have done. If I'd stopped to think first, I'd have double checked the neck shape. They don't look good together. The opening of the t-shirt is too wide and too low in the back. Skin shows. Since I don't like that look, I'll try it with a different t-shirt, either black or grey, and if I don't like that, refashion the ring into something else again.




The t-shirt is figure flattering. It's made using my T & T pattern. I am absolutely positive - even without record keeping - that NL6735 was my most popular pattern last year. It's a great base for design. This fabric is a cotton rayon blend, drapey and soft.




Yesterday, I wore the t-shirt with this beaded necklace that my daughter made for my birthday. She brought it with her at Christmas even though my birthday was in June. As you can see, it's a tremendous amount of work and took her longer than she thought especially with the new puppy. It's GORGEOUS, perfect with the curved V neckline of this t-shirt. My favourite accessories are large and chunky, made from many smaller parts, just like this. I'll be able to wear it often.




And then, I sewed a bra to go with. Too fun. I tried a new pattern and some different techniques that I'll share with you tomorrow. The bra is soft and smooth, a t-shirt bra made from t-shirt fabric. AND... there are enough scraps left, especially if I include chopping up the neck ring, to make one or two more things.

I received a newsletter the other day from a quilt shop. In it, they wrote about how the rising price of cotton is going to affect businesses like themselves that feature cotton as a primary product. They had stocked up at the lower prices in an effort to put off those price hikes. From the report I watched before Christmas, it's not just cotton. All fabric and all resulting RTW is on the rise. I've stocked up in advance as well - it's called my stash - HOWEVER, I am aware that if I quit shopping my favourite stores may quit being. I'm keeping that in mind.

On Sunday, there was a BIG sale at Fabricland. I went hoping to find some pretty lace for lingerie and an upholstery fabric to recover my ironing surface. There was no pretty lace. I did find an appropriate checked fabric. Other than that, I wandered around annoyed by the crowds and especially by the sale. It was no better than any other sale this year so why were there masses of people pushing and shoving. The stock was old, worn out, nothing new, nothing I needed, nothing I wanted. I'll wait.

My stash, on the other hand, is incredibly full of potential. I thought about it a lot over the holidays and I'm excited to dig in and do, see what's there, be curious and creative. Reading other blogs, I see that this desire to sew down stash is not singular. Many feel the same way. Perhaps it's a new year thing. I'm not sure. I don't remember if the same feeling was prevalent last year and I've only been sewing fashions again for just over a year. Perhaps the desire will wear off. I hope not because...

... there is something incredibly satisfying about choosing a fabric, making one decision, making another, following that up, and exiting a series of steps with a finished product. Whether or not that product is amazing is somewhat irrelevant. Just making something is fabulous; making a fabulous something is a bonus.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that the death toll with the flooding in Australia is as low as it is. Scary times.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Myrna

    Nice use of your fabric. I'm going to have to make PJ's like that!

    "Sewing down the stash" Is a repetitive goal as a person discovers just how very much they've accumualted! I will always have a stash becuase I have the same problem you did at Fabricland. I can't always walk into the store and find fabrics that I love in colors that I love. So when I find a "good" fabric. I buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna,
    Love, love, love the necklace your daughter made you! She's talented. I'm glad you chose to share your family photos yesterday. They are precious.
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another one who is trying to sew down my stash. That doesn't stop me from buying fabric that I like at a reasonable price. You have some great ideas for sewing knits. Those pjs look so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am very impressed with the bra. How fun that it matches the top you made.
    Happy New Year,
    :)Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love everything you made with the t-shirt fabric. I am sure you have used the New Look pattern the most in 2011.
    I was at Fabricland on Sunday also. I found what I needed and left. Everyone was racing around and it was a "gong show". I have to get some plain cotton fabrics to make book bags for babies on Jan. 11 but that is it. I can use up my stash and buy those must have pieces as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a like a designer collection where there's a theme of common fabric in different shapes. Love how you used this fabric in so many different ways and for distinct purposes. And your daughter's beautiful necklace looks perfect with the T shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost went to the Fabricland sale here in Vancouver. There were two yarn dyed plaid flannels that I had had my eye on. But I really don't have room for them yet, so it can wait.

    I have a few paid sewing jobs (odd jobs - they just all happened to converge) that I want to knock out this month so I can get on with sewing things I really want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the matching bra. And I've recently discovered knit pajama pants. I have some things that were formerly going to be dresses already slated to become nightwear/lounge wear.

    ReplyDelete