_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 10 January 2011

And Then I Was Bad ! ! !

Friday night was snowy and blowing, cold and yucky, not at all pretty. Saturday morning was bright with blue sky and sunshine. Howard and I drove to Salmon Arm, an hour and a half away. It was an excuse to try out our new car on the highway, to have a date, and to pick up some Kwik Sew patterns from the Fabricland there. Our store doesn't carry them and...




... I particularly wanted 2702 for the boy shorts. I like them under skirts and dress pants. It's been a gazillion years since I've worn a nightgown. Pattern 2325 has a pretty yoke and french seams, no gathers or ruffles. The bra pattern, 3100, is bandless with a low bridge, and a vertical seam through the cup, which is slightly different than the patterns I have and perfect for a lacy look. I was really good. I picked up the three patterns I'd chosen in advance and didn't even look at the rest even though they were on sale. And then I was bad ! ! !

Was it just Friday when I said my stash was full to overflowing and I needed to not even look at fabric so I wouldn't be sucked in and seduced by the potential? Do you remember a few months back when I talked being weak, weak, weak in the face of fabric? At least I know my limitations - VBG.




While I was there, I decided to look at the lace selection in case there was something suitable for lingerie. There was nothing in lace trims. In the yardage section, there was this luxurious lace with a paisley design. Paisley. The other thing that I can't resist. Since it was $20.00 a meter and marked down 20% which in Fabricland is not much of a sale, I only purchased half a meter. That should be enough for several bra cups and the yoke of the nightgown depending on how I cut things out.




And after I checked out the lace, I checked out the knits since I use them so often. The blue and the pink are 95% rayon and 5% spandex with a soft, drapey feel. The colors are clear and intense. They were 50% off. I bought enough for a t-shirt each. The check at the bottom is wool. It's regular $42.00 per meter and was in the discount section for $5.00. The only thing better than a deal like that is when the discount section is on sale half price. It wasn't. At the regular price, this fabric would have been $92.40 and I would not have bought it. At $11.00, yes. My whole order - three patterns, lace, two knit fabrics, and the wool - was less than the regular price of the wool. And so some more potential came home with me.

Yesterday, I heard that the Fabricland here is having a huge closing out sale with the intent of selling off the inventory over the next three months before moving to a new location. That means that the stock will be increasingly picked over and the store more and more of a mess. I hate that. It should be helpful to my ability to resist temptation since I already thought there wasn't much there on January 1st. The new location will be much closer to me and easier to get to. This may not be a good thing - LOL.

On Sunday, the pastor spoke from Romans commenting on how passionate Paul was about his mission. He - the pastor - talked about the need to do things with our whole heart. It's easy to become listless during these grey days of January and to wander around the house not really doing much of anything. That's not good. Slumps just make you feel more slumpy. On the weekend, I cut out twelve pairs of panties, sewed the crotch seams, pressed the seams, and applied leg elastic on two pairs. That's not much of an accomplishment for two full days even if it is incredibly tedious and repetitive work. Something to think about.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - good deals and confession being good for the soul - VBG!

3 comments:

  1. Great purchases at the Fabricland in Salmon Arm.
    Just before Christmas I heard from one of the local Fabricland employees that their lease in North Hills Mall is up in February but they hadn't been told anything as most of them would be quitting if the store moved out east of town.
    I am not looking forward to the store looking like as picked over mess as I go in to get the items I need. I might just do some stocking up of notions and hope I don't have to go in for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that Fabriclands really vary in their stock and store organization. Victoria's is not so good and I've been pleased by what I've seen in Nanaimo. That said, I'm trying to stay out of the store as much as possible, since I have a large stash of unfinished projects - as you well know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say that's GOOD! I just wrote about a Kwik Sew pattern I just received in the mail. I do find that Kwik Sew, in addition to be very clear with instructions (and easy) makes rather wearable, chic things. I think these are terrific.

    ReplyDelete