_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 20 January 2011

Stuff To Go

When I stopped to pick up the serger, Charlene hadn't been able to duplicate the issue. She did make a small adjustment to the lower blade. I know that I had moved it before when the stitches weren't snugging up tight enough to the fabric so it could have been the problem. If so, it was nothing major. If it happens again, the machine will have to stay in the shop longer. I hope not. I hate when my machines are away from home. It's almost as bad as children.




I super cleaned the studio yesterday including sorting through some paperwork that has been in a basket at the end of my desk for years. I'm not sure why this old photograph was in there or where it came from. My uncle possibly. He collects photos like this. It's of me. I have no idea how old I am. What struck me immediately is the shape of my face. It's virtually identical today including the square shape, those groves by the mouth, the chubby cheeks, and the pointed and slightly double chin. I guess I haven't changed much - LOL.




While cleaning, I was debating which pants to sew next and had a - minor - panic attack about zippers. If Fabricland isn't getting any more stock in, how am I going to sew pants and skirts for the next few months? I took a break between sides of the studio and whipped over to pick up fifteen zippers - 3 each of black, grey, brown, blue, and purple. That should help.




Here's the pile of stuff to go to the second hand store. I sorted out some books, magazines, yarn, knitting and sewing patterns, fabric, and even those pillow forms. I know they are perfectly good. It's just that I've been moving them around for at least fifteen years without ever using them so I decided to let them go now. LOL - watch me need one next week. Oh well.

The stash is at a more manageable - read less guilt inducing - level now. It has by no means shrunk to minuteness but everything is folded neatly and visible. What I find hard to believe, in all that fabric, with a predominance of black, is that I have not one single piece of suitable fabric for a pair of black dress pants. Go figure.




Two of the items I found while cleaning were this picture from Anthropologie and a green wool blend. I'm assuming it's a blend because I've washed it in hot water twice now and it won't felt down any further but it smells like wool. It's fairly light weight. I think it would look great in a similar style. I can't link you through to the picture because this one is from 2009 and is no longer on the site. Neither is anything similar. Everything in the jacket category is quite structured which is not my style and makes me glad I sew. YES YES.

First, I need to clean house. My friend Barb is coming tomorrow for our weekend retreat. She'll be here until Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to seeing her. We do a lot of learning together.

I have planned several activities this winter to keep me occupied and happy. For whatever reason, the past two winters were very hard. Not this year. Things are going to be different. This weekend is my retreat with Barb, mid February I am going to Nanaimo for another workshop with Ron Collins, and, if need be, will take an overnight trip in March. By April, things will be fine. Starting the job next week will help as well. It's all good.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a clean studio, less stuff, the ability to give, Barb is coming

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are keeping productively busy and have a number of things to anticipate. For me, that's a key to life - to have something to look forward to.

    We're going on a little vacation in February, then I'll be working the garden, then camping in the summer, and so on. Little things, most of them, but fun to anticipate.

    I really like that Anthropologie jacket and it would look great on you with that curvy waist.

    ReplyDelete