_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 6 January 2011

Pressing Matters

Howard and I have spent the last year talking about buying a Matrix. We even rented one last summer for a trip to our daughter's as a trail run. We briefly considered a Rav4. While we were test driving the car on Tuesday, we compared the two calling them the Matrix and the Rav4. Right there, sitting in the driver's seat, I agreed that we should buy the Matrix since I was the one leaning more toward the Rav4 and that's what I thought we bought until...




... Howard sent me this picture labelled Vibe 2009 so I - being observant and all - said I thought we bought a Matrix and he says no, I told you it was a Vibe. No he did NOT. I know it looks just like the Matrix and has all the same parts with a different label just like a Sprint and a Firefly are the same thing but... really... in the spirit of good communication... don't you think he could have corrected me or at least pointed out it wasn't a Matrix. Apparently, you have to read the small print with husbands too - VBG.




For the past few months, I've become increasingly embarrassed by the mess that my pressing surface has become. Between the dirt marks of old age and the bleeding felt from tracing patterns, it's not a pretty sight. For some reason, I kept thinking that I'd have to buy a new one and I didn't want to do that. This one worked just fine. It just looked ugly. In the spirit of improve, it occurred to me the other day that I could recover the surface. Duh. So obvious.




I purchased a black and cream check at the BIG Fabricland sale hoping to duplicate at least some of the advantages of the gridded surface with a cover that could be removed and washed. Because I wanted to be able to wash it, I didn't want to staple the fabric to the surface and instead used pockets in the corner and pins on the back to hold it in place. Unfortunately, that's not enough to pull the surface tight and square. The lines are crooked. That bugs me. We'll see if I become oblivious or crazy because of it. If I'd known, I'd have gone for a more decorative surface, maybe something with paisley, so I may replace this surface at some point. The fabric would still be useful, perhaps for a purse. It's reversible. The back is cream with black lines.




One of the things I love about the Internet is the inspiration of other's sharing. Shams at Communing With Fabric is an INCREDIBLY creative person. Her visuals are inspiring enough; the detailed instructions are a fabulous bonus. In October, she wrote Reliable Digital Velocity V100, How Do I Love You !?!?!?. My favourite for years, can't live without it, iron had packed it in, was no longer available, and couldn't be repaired one more time so I was making do with a poor substitute. The features she described sounded exactly like what I wanted so the iron went on my Christmas list and showed up on the day. I've read the instructions, plugged it in, played with the settings, experimented on fabric, and so far, I LOVE IT!




The pressing surface is on top of the work island. I also use this area for rotary cutting and have a variety of different sized mats to lay over top. Another Christmas gift was the mini, 18mm, Olfa rotary cutter. Along with a lot of heavy washers, it'll work for layering and cutting out multiple panties. If you remember, January is lingerie month.




Pressing matters. It can be the difference between homemade and gourmet. Several months ago, I purchased a silk organza pressing cloth and have come to the conclusion that it's a must have for seeing what you're doing while avoiding shiny seams. The sleeve board is used ALL THE TIME. The point press is perfect for collars and other pointed parts. The ham is used with anything darted and the seam roll less frequently. I've had these four tools for years, thirty probably, and they were well worth the investment.

Today, I'm test sewing two different panty patterns. One has high cut legs and a higher waist and the other is hipsters with a regular leg. I imagine in the end, I'll sew something that's a mix of the two since that's what the ones I've been wearing are like. Right now, I'm figuring out the correct size. More tomorrow.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - yesterday was garbage day, today is payday, both much needed after Christmas

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I read your blog since forever, my congratulations on producing beautiful pieces and you and your family have a 2011 full of achievements and happiness.

    Hugs

    Eilan - Brazil

    Forgive any errors of translation, do not speak their language and use a google translator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently bought a piece of silk organza for a pressing cloth and can't believe I'd waited so long. The stuff is wonderful!

    I notice that you don't use a traditional ironing board. Or do you have one tucked away somewhere for shirts and things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you whole heartedly (about the pressing matters). I've had my tools for nearly that long and several were purchased at garage sales from people who didn't have any clue as to what they were. (One thought they were selling a childs ironing board). They not only give me professional results, they make the chore so much easier.

    Love the new pressing cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly I am absolutely thrilled you bought American...Go Vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is the best place to buy silk organza?
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about the importance of pressing. I've used a silk organza press cloth for years. part of my new studio will be a new pressing space, which I have planned out, but I am still in destash and declutter mode with some other parts of the house before I get into assemble the studio mode and then work mode.

    ReplyDelete